• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS attempt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fast Eddie

NOTE: I posted this in "marine's OCS", decided to post here for a more mixed navy/marine response base. No disrespect to the helpful repliers there!

Hey folks,

I'm a graduating mathematics major from the university of maryland, college park. My GPA is horrible due to overall lack of adventure and direction in college. It's a 2.8. My SAT score was 1500 though, and I took the asvab in high school and was in the 99th percentile in every category.. I'm also a member of the university of maryland strongman team and I train for powerlifting.. (500 deadlift, 300 bench @ 190lbs). I'm going to cut weight and try to get a perfect PFT. I need to waste away some of this unecessary muscle that's slowing me down. I'm extremely good friends with a Navy O6 who can write me a great recommendation.

Do I have a chance to get in with this gpa! I sure hope, I want to fly!

Would the marines or the navy be a more likely choice for me? Is one more competitive than the other?

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Hudson

If you are sure you want to be an officer and lead the best of the best, but are not leaning one way or the other as far as the Navy or the Marines. Apply to both. The applications are simaler but not exact. When I was looking into the Marines after the Navy initialy turned me down the OSO told me the Marines are more flexible and will do every thing they can to get you in if they feel that you will make a good Marine.
Good luck Role the dice and see what comes up
Scott Hudson

WFU2USN

twitch,

The SAT and ASVAB scores are no factor in an OCS Package (at least for the Navy). For Navy OCS, you need to take the ATSB and do very well - at least a 50. Your 2.8 is going to be an issue, though, but having a degree in math "might" offset that a little. In the Navy, the PFT isn't so much about getting a "perfect" score, as it is scoring in the Outstanding range.

Other factors will include your LOR's, personal statement, and extracurricular/leadership activities.

At worst, at least talk to a recruiter!

good luck!
Robin

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Twitch,

No matter what people are going to recommend to you on this forum, or provide you advice on, the best bet is to sit down with the recruiters and ask them the hard questions, find out whats best for you, and put those packages in! As for being a Marine, I think that GPA might actually be too high, and they won't accept you. Just kidding, god I am going to get flamed on that one. All inter-service rivalry aside, you also need to investigate both services and find out which is the right one for you. There is much more to each branch, and flying isn't everything you will do as a Naval Officer, or Officer of Marines.

Best of luck, and I am sure you are going to get a wide variety of inputs and answers from this forum.

John

Meridiani

FYI-you can not apply to both Marine OCS and Navy OCS at the same time. You can, however, take your chances applying with one, and then if rejected, apply to the other.

FlyFast

Of course you have a chance, I got in a couple of months ago when it was slim pickins for SNA slots and my gpa was 2.9. Other qualities i have came through, so will yours and anyone elses.

Fast Eddie

Thanks for the replies folks!

I'm equally attracted to both branches for different reasons...

Is it fair to say that the Marines is a little less competitive than the Navy?

Financially it would be MUCH better if I could increase my chances of bieng accepted by the first brnach I applied.

I think I'm hearing that the Marines may be more willing to overlook a lower GPA if other officer qualities are present.. and that the Navy is less forgiving (some even saying they don't like to both submitting packages below 3.4) Is this somewhat accurate / fair?

tnutz

the Marines are more forgiving on gpa, age, etc. if you are in great shape. different priorities...

bisouss69

Your GPA might be a factor but still you were a math major which is good. Did you take physics? I hear they like to see physics. I am in the same boat as you.. although I am enlisted. I have a bad GPA a little higher than yours though.. but I just put in for OCS and the three officers that I had my interview with said I should get picked up.. and if I didnt they said I should go to another service and see what their OCS programs is offering. Really comes down to it.. you have a degree. Any extracurricular activities? They really want a well rounded person. But if your going to flight.. everything I said above might not even be a factor. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.