• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Application

Trkkid

I don't know how much information I can find out here, but I think I will have the best luck here since I know this is a vast community. I am currently enlisted in the Navy and have been for the past 6 months. I have a degree and would like to submit a package to fly but I have a feeling I may have some trouble with this as I will need some waivers and I know there are restrictions to who is eligible based on the waivers required. That being said, I have BS in Accounting and Finance and graduated with a 3.61, scored a 6/6/7 with a 54 OAR on the ASTB (did not study as much as I wanted to and could be better prepared if I were to take it again), have put in over 100 hours of community service recently, and just turned 25. Also, I should note that I am married as well.

Now for the undesireable aspects of my application. In 2003 I had a possession of marijuana charge which was not mine but was in my possession unknowingly and took the blame but in that same incident got caught with a fake ID. Then in 2005 I got a DUI charge. Mistakes I made in my youth but mistakes none the less. I know the Aviation community frowns on these kinds of things, and wondered if there were still a chance at a pilot or NFO position, or maybe even SWO. I am still eligible for top secret clearance though as I had a nuclear package in a little over a year ago and it was those charges that kept me off the program.

Anyone have any idea if this is an option being that I am now currently enlisted and in good standing? Or what my options may be regarding an OCS apllication and ultimately getting a commission? Thanks!

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, those are not going to look good on your package. The one thing I can tell you is to be honest and tell them EVERYTHING. If you hide anything and they find out, its over.

I'm a prior enlisted that got picked up and I'm telling you that you need strong evals (don't have to be EP, but not dirt bag evals) and some good letters of recommendation from your CO and XO will help out a lot. In the mean time, until you submit your package, earn as many quals in your shop as you possibly can. That shows that you have initiative. Its definitely worth a shot. Hope that helps.

P.S. I had a Protection Order put against me for Domestic Violence in 2004 and it wasn't a problem.

Lobster

From what you said it sounds like you have been...but, make sure that you're clean as a whistle and flying under the radar when it comes to getting in trouble.

Trkkid

I'm not sure I understand the last reply.... Maybe I just misunderstood the sentence, but I definitely don't plan on getting in trouble, nor do I go anywhere near trouble.

Also, a domestic dispute charge is different than an alc or other substance offense and I know they have a requirement saying that you cannot have those kinds of charges if you want to get into the Aviation program. I just didn't know if being prior helps in that aspect as long as everything was before you joined the Navy. It's tough either way though i guess.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Being prior helps...put in your package, be honest, find out what they say. The worst they can tell you is no.

Trkkid

Thank you all for the help, I'm going to start putting it together right now and I am pretty sure I still have my last package so I can utilize that for the most part to help get me going. Once again thanks for the help and hopefully I will see you all in the fleet as an ens in the relatively near future! :icon_mi_1

wplax26

Gold Club
pilot
None
Contributor
One more thing I'd like to add is to remember that their are a few places in Officer applications where you get to speak for yourself. These are great chances to not only explain your past actions and what you've learned but separate yourself from the crowd with your maturity from the lessons you've learned. I had some "before I was enlisted" issues and in my final package that got accepted I had fessed up to them and explained what I had learned. Not sure if that was the deciding factor the final time but it obviously didn't hurt!!

Trkkid

Thanks for the info wplacrosse, I did that on my last package but I plan rewrite and better word my essays. Basically take a lot of time and try to eloquently put on paper what happened and my lessons learned. I'll be putting in much effort this weekend as soon as I can get over to the NCC and find out how, if any, my application will be different than the last one. Thanks again everyone, and I will certainly be open to anymore info/ feedback!

TPrice9

1420.1a

c. Moral character and conduct. Applicants must be of
good moral character and have no courts-martial conviction
or civilian felony conviction, have no record of
disciplinary action under Article 15, Uniform Code of
Military Justice, or conviction by civil court for
misdemeanors (except minor traffic violations) during the 3
years preceding application for the program. Any
substantiated drug use or alcohol incidents will result in
disqualification.-
That is from the instruction, so isn't that saying if it happened over three years ago you don't need to state it? That would not be following directions right? Or am I way wrong?????

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
c. Moral character and conduct. Applicants must be of

good moral character and have no courts-martial conviction
or civilian felony conviction, have no record of
disciplinary action under Article 15, Uniform Code of
Military Justice, or conviction by civil court for
misdemeanors (except minor traffic violations) during the 3
years preceding application for the program. Any
substantiated drug use or alcohol incidents will result in
disqualification.-
That is from the instruction, so isn't that saying if it happened over three years ago you don't need to state it? That would not be following directions right? Or am I way wrong?????

Blocks 29 and 30 (civil and drug offences) of the 1420/1 does not prohibit information from being annotated based on the time in which it occurred – ALL prudent information MUST be disclosed, irrespective of the time of occurrence. That paragraph you quoted just states what the outcome of the board will be if such incidents did occur in that past 3 year period, not a guideline to disclose such information.

Nonetheless, the aforementioned offences will (or should) be stated on the SF 86 (security clearance), which is submitted with all active duty applications. The SF 86 ask for and requires information that goes back 7 years. Therefore, it will still be seen by the board members regardless, it can not be hidden.

Trkkid

This goes back to my original question anyway.... Having read that it sounds as if I would be disqualified from the program regardless of whether I am active right now or not. Am I wrong about the way I have read that or is there another clause that bypasses that one?