• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS application with abysmal GPA

dandelo

Local 8251
Greetings, all. I'm currently putting together my package, and although speculation is irrelevant, I'd like some input as to my theoretical chances.

I'm a qualified E-5 P-3 Flight Engineer with 4 years of college (obviously), but my GPA was only 2.4 (BS in Zoology). High School was 4.0, although that isn't required for OCS applications. I took the ASTB in April and scored 8/8/8 with a 68 OAR. ACT score 34 (again, now realize not required for OCS per se). I've been in the Navy for 2 1/2 years, and have a good record so far and a deployment under my belt, but since I have such a short time in, my only awards are minor ones such as those from boot camp and A schools, and a NAM and a few Air Medals from Iraq. My only LOR thus far is from my previous Skipper, and it's strong. My last 2 PRTs were "Outstanding Low," and I'm an ACFL.

On a side note, I turn 29 in 3 months, so my time is running short. I do not have a private pilot's license, nor can I afford one now that Hawaii a/c rentals are $150/hr with the insane gas prices, and that doesn't leave much time for more college. I have heard, also, that 2.5 is basically a minimum, although that is not stated anywhere in the OCS section of the 1420.

Have any of you O's been accepted with GPA's like that? I was hoping a little enlisted time with good marks would overshadow that; I'm just worried that I'm screwed before I start.

Thanks for your input, and War Eagle.

BullGator

Rats, I thought I was the only zoology major here. :D

What designation are you applying for- (Pilot/NFO)? Good luck man, your package looks very strong. Just get some more LORs. And maybe try to take some courses to raise the GPA, if at all possible.

I'll be sending in my package soon, so I can't comment on your specific chances, but I am applying with a 2.91 from UF and lower ASTB scores (congrats on that by the way, awesome scores there).

red_ryder

None
I got in with a 2.5 (eng. degree), and a really high ASTB score, and my PRT scores were only good medium. I think you have a good chance, especially with good LOR's.

dandelo

Local 8251
Another Zoology major. Amazing. I'm applying for the Pilot track, and I don't want to do anything else. This is the only reason I joined in the first place, and I'm a bit worried considering my age, since that doesn't leave my a lot of time to take classes toward a Master's before I'm too old. It seems that everywhere I look, 2.5 is quoted as a "bare minimum," and I can't find evidence of anyone who was accepted with less than that.

Renegade One

None
Seven years of college down the drain...
Bluto.gif

BullGator

ygtbsm ...
haha. No dice buddy. It was Tommy boy; I got it right: David Spade and Chris Farley (him and Hartman were awesome, too sad) right after Farley graduated and Spade was taking him to Farley's dad's auto-parts factory. Yut, yut?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
haha. No dice buddy. It was Tommy boy; I got it right: David Spade and Chris Farley (him and Hartman were awesome, too sad) right after Farley graduated and Spade was taking him to Farley's dad's auto-parts factory. Yut, yut?

"What number was that again? Did I hear a 'niner' in there? Were you calling from a walkie-talkie?"

/Tommy Boy quoting threadjack.

I also managed to achieve a magnificent 2.4 GPA. At least it was in a challenging and highly lucrative career field (Sociology).

Look at me now! (Worlds Best Attack Pilot).

"They give out a lot less D minuses than they do D plusses, ya know"*

*(Okay.....so one last Tommy Boy quote)