• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS application after AFROTC disenrollment

This is a great site. I've been reading the forums for awhile and really appreciate the information here. I just registered so I can ask some more specific questions pertaining to my situation. I have 2 hurdles that I'll need to clear to get into OCS and need some help figuring out how to clear them. My OR is a great guy but is new and is giving me a lot of I don't know's right now.

I was disenrolled involuntarily from AFROTC right before commissioning. How does the DD 785 form affect the application process? Do I need a waiver for it and if so, who is the waiver authority?

I had PRK while in AFROTC. According to MANMED 15-34 I believe, -8.00 is the pre surgery error limit for enlistment and commissioning. However -6.00 is the limit for a commissioning program. I was -6.5 and -7.5. And according to AMWG I meet all criteria for a waiver easily. Is N3M the waiver authority for this? How is a waiver requested?

What is the courtesy review by N3M? I have been reading the regs and it seems akin to a systems check like these are the errors you will run into and will come back as a warranted, not warranted or need more information.

Below is additional info should you want to read on.

If you are curious about the disenrollment here is the shortest version possible. 4 strikes. 1 I failed a class. 2 I received "excessive civil involvements". 3 I did not report a civil involvement within 72 hours. 4 I deviated from travel orders. I received a check in block 3 consider needs of the force against reasons for this disenrollment. The civil involvements are university parking tickets. I asked the university if I should hang the pass in my jeep with no roof or doors and they said no, keep it on you and well waive the tickets. First CO says don't report the tickets you get in this manner. New CO comes in and says you have to report them but don't worry we know your situation and you'll be fine. The last parking ticket I received was given by the school in error, I had my pass displayed. The school rescinded it but ROTC said I didn't report it. I was sent for my flight physical and there they told me I needed to see my eye surgeon to get treatment for haze. I called the travel office and asked if I could stop by my home state and was told that's fine so long as I pay my own way, and I did. Those 4 strikes were enough to get me out. The new officer did not like me, he made that very clear after I was kicked.

exNavyOffRec

I have seen guys get past the involuntary dis-enrollment issue, many things that will affect it.

What may get you is your pre op diopters, the USN limit for URL is -6 had a few that were over and were NPQ'd, and N3M is the one that will review, I have seen a few that were over the -6 and did get in, they went nuke.

what is your degree and GPA?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
This is a great site. I've been reading the forums for awhile and really appreciate the information here. I just registered so I can ask some more specific questions pertaining to my situation. I have 2 hurdles that I'll need to clear to get into OCS and need some help figuring out how to clear them. My OR is a great guy but is new and is giving me a lot of I don't know's right now.

I was disenrolled involuntarily from AFROTC right before commissioning. How does the DD 785 form affect the application process? Do I need a waiver for it and if so, who is the waiver authority?

I had PRK while in AFROTC. According to MANMED 15-34 I believe, -8.00 is the pre surgery error limit for enlistment and commissioning. However -6.00 is the limit for a commissioning program. I was -6.5 and -7.5. And according to AMWG I meet all criteria for a waiver easily. Is N3M the waiver authority for this? How is a waiver requested?

What is the courtesy review by N3M? I have been reading the regs and it seems akin to a systems check like these are the errors you will run into and will come back as a warranted, not warranted or need more information.

Below is additional info should you want to read on.

If you are curious about the disenrollment here is the shortest version possible. 4 strikes. 1 I failed a class. 2 I received "excessive civil involvements". 3 I did not report a civil involvement within 72 hours. 4 I deviated from travel orders. I received a check in block 3 consider needs of the force against reasons for this disenrollment. The civil involvements are university parking tickets. I asked the university if I should hang the pass in my jeep with no roof or doors and they said no, keep it on you and well waive the tickets. First CO says don't report the tickets you get in this manner. New CO comes in and says you have to report them but don't worry we know your situation and you'll be fine. The last parking ticket I received was given by the school in error, I had my pass displayed. The school rescinded it but ROTC said I didn't report it. I was sent for my flight physical and there they told me I needed to see my eye surgeon to get treatment for haze. I called the travel office and asked if I could stop by my home state and was told that's fine so long as I pay my own way, and I did. Those 4 strikes were enough to get me out. The new officer did not like me, he made that very clear after I was kicked.

Have you asked your recruiter any of these questions?

Mechanical Engineering with 3.33

Originally my OR thought neither would be a problem.He had me pull my lifetime DMV record but I never filled out a statement for the disenrollment or anything. I asked him last week and he just said he didn't know and that I could show him regs all day but he doesn't understand that stuff.

exNavyOffRec

Mechanical Engineering with 3.33

Originally my OR thought neither would be a problem.He had me pull my lifetime DMV record but I never filled out a statement for the disenrollment or anything. I asked him last week and he just said he didn't know and that I could show him regs all day but he doesn't understand that stuff.

I think your pre-op diopters are going to be what gives you a problem, don't be surprised if you get NPQ'd for vision, has your recruiter set you up for a physical yet.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is it just me or does it seem we have a Former AFROTC/now wants to go Navy thread pop up every several weeks or so?
Word has gotten out. Navy is the way to go and AW is the place for answers thanks to guys like you and NavyOffRec. ;) I feel like the wannabes are in good hands since my "retirement" from the AW Officer Programs Office.

I think your pre-op diopters are going to be what gives you a problem, don't be surprised if you get NPQ'd for vision, has your recruiter set you up for a physical yet.
I haven't gone to MEPS. I just received a letter saying further processing of applicant is not warranted after waiting all summer. Very disappointing. My OR says what's killing me is the DD785. What I am thinking about doing now is either appealing to the AF to change the narrative and recommendation block on the form and also prepare a better PRK packet since I noticed some of the forms were missing. Then I can resubmit both since they would be considered new. I also just inquired with an enlistment recruiter to see if I could possibly enlist then try to go officer working my way up. The Captain that really got me interested in the Navy and is really trying to help me get in said he saw a reg about requesting a flag review with the endorsement of the NRD CO.

exNavyOffRec

I haven't gone to MEPS. I just received a letter saying further processing of applicant is not warranted after waiting all summer. Very disappointing. My OR says what's killing me is the DD785. What I am thinking about doing now is either appealing to the AF to change the narrative and recommendation block on the form and also prepare a better PRK packet since I noticed some of the forms were missing. Then I can resubmit both since they would be considered new. I also just inquired with an enlistment recruiter to see if I could possibly enlist then try to go officer working my way up. The Captain that really got me interested in the Navy and is really trying to help me get in said he saw a reg about requesting a flag review with the endorsement of the NRD CO.

so N3M did a courtesy review?

exNavyOffRec

N3M looks at the medical side, nothing more, if there was a narrative about things that would fall under psych concerns in the DD785 that could be used as well to determine potential psych issues, but in general a discharge paperwork is sent to N3M so they can see if a person falls under new accession standards or not.

N3M also sends back more than not warranted, it will say not warranted and list the factors, but a not warranted is more often than not the kiss of death

N3M looks at the medical side, nothing more, if there was a narrative about things that would fall under psych concerns in the DD785 that could be used as well to determine potential psych issues, but in general a discharge paperwork is sent to N3M so they can see if a person falls under new accession standards or not.

N3M also sends back more than not warranted, it will say not warranted and list the factors, but a not warranted is more often than not the kiss of death

The 2 factors were "a history of PRK and unsuitability for military service." The PRK is cut and dry, I'm over -6 and need a waiver.

But I'm perplexed by the unsuitability for military service. My OR thinks its the DD785, however like you said, N3M reviews medical and my 785 is for civil involvements. The only other 2 things in my entire medical history (which were sent to them) was a fractured wrist that is fully healed and a letter stating I saw a free university counselor a couple times after being kicked from AFROTC and my long term girlfriend left me. It stated I was sad coming in but left hopeful and much happier. It contained no diagnosis. I can't imagine that would make someone unsuitable for military service.

I'm trying to find out the exact reason for the unsuitability so that I can request a second review and show new evidence that I'm fit to serve.

exNavyOffRec

The 2 factors were "a history of PRK and unsuitability for military service." The PRK is cut and dry, I'm over -6 and need a waiver.

But I'm perplexed by the unsuitability for military service. My OR thinks its the DD785, however like you said, N3M reviews medical and my 785 is for civil involvements. The only other 2 things in my entire medical history (which were sent to them) was a fractured wrist that is fully healed and a letter stating I saw a free university counselor a couple times after being kicked from AFROTC and my long term girlfriend left me. It stated I was sad coming in but left hopeful and much happier. It contained no diagnosis. I can't imagine that would make someone unsuitable for military service.

I'm trying to find out the exact reason for the unsuitability so that I can request a second review and show new evidence that I'm fit to serve.

The conflict that resulted in you leaving AFROTC is probably what has led them to the unsuitability for military service, this is kind of like a psych diagnosis.

The vision thing is what really kills you, URL is max -6, you were over, unless you are trying for something like nuke I wouldn't expect them to consider a waiver, they have no need to waiver for programs with an abundance of applicants, hence the continued processing not warranted.

The conflict that resulted in you leaving AFROTC is probably what has led them to the unsuitability for military service, this is kind of like a psych diagnosis.

The vision thing is what really kills you, URL is max -6, you were over, unless you are trying for something like nuke I wouldn't expect them to consider a waiver, they have no need to waiver for programs with an abundance of applicants, hence the continued processing not warranted.

Ah ok, thank you for the information. Does N3M see my career choices at the time of the review though? I told my recruiter I was interested in aviation but if I couldn't do that I'd gladly go SWO or Special Warfare. I did not fill out anything pertaining to career choices prior to the review. Do you happen to know if I were to become enlisted, could I still go officer eventually? Or would the -6 still prevent me from ascending?