• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS and Graduate School

Hi,

I know that academy and ROTC grads can attend graduate school on the Navy's dime while on active duty? Is this also the case for OCS grads as well?

For example, would an OCS grad who is a pilot obtain a master's degree at a civilian school after completing their first flying tour, or at some other point in their naval career?

Thanks.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi,

I know that academy and ROTC grads can attend graduate school on the Navy's dime while on active duty? Is this also the case for OCS grads as well?

For example, would an OCS grad who is a pilot obtain a master's degree at a civilian school after completing their first flying tour, or at some other point in their naval career?

Thanks.

It’s not uncommon for aviators to pursue and earn a masters degree from a civilian school after their first squadron tour (during shore duty). From my experiences, they usually attend an evening / weekend program and/or online grad programs.

For note: Once you commission, everyone (OCS, NROTC, USNA) is treated the same.

It’s not uncommon for aviators to pursue and earn a masters degree from a civilian school after their first squadron tour (during shore duty). From my experiences, they usually attend an evening / weekend program and/or online grad programs.

For note: Once you commission, everyone (OCS, NROTC, USNA) is treated the same.
Thank you!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

For note: Once you commission, everyone (OCS, NROTC, USNA) is treated the same has the same opportunities.
FIFY

"Same opportunities". Am I to take from your edit that academy and ROTC grads may be treated better than OCS grads, or are academy grads treated like they are the cream of the crop?

And, how can a naval officer, especially an OCS grad, attend a civilian grad school full time at some point after the first tour? Is that even a possibility? Or. how about pursuing a master's full time at the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS)? Is that a more viable option than trying to pursue a master's degree full-time from a civilian institution? If so, is admissions to NPS very competitive? While attending, do officers there wear uniforms or civvies?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
"Same opportunities". Am I to take from your edit that academy and ROTC grads may be treated better than OCS grads, or are academy grads treated like they are the cream of the crop?

And, how can a naval officer, especially an OCS grad, attend a civilian grad school full time at some point after the first tour? Is that even a possibility? Or. how about pursuing a master's full time at the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS)? Is that a more viable option than trying to pursue a master's degree full-time from a civilian institution? If so, is admissions to NPS very competitive? While attending, do officers there wear uniforms or civvies?

A small number of NROTC and USNA grads who often have exceptional academic backgrounds are afforded the opportunity to go to grad school before starting designator specific training.

Concerning NPS, all of your questions can be found with a google search. Not sure if you’re too lazy and / or you want random strangers to find answers for you…

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

You’re putting the cart before the horse. You first goal is to finish your degree and be accepted for Naval Service. Your designator choice will control when you do your graduate degree.

As @FormerRecruitingGuru stated, these questions have been asked before on this site. Have a look around, do a simple search to find your answers….but honestly, it’s as if you’re asking how to solve a math-based physics question without having completed Algebra. Slow your roll.