• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS and current Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre170

None
How is OCS affected by the weather? Are more things done indoors? Are you still outside everyday for PT? Has the weather in Pensacola been bad? Just curious.

Sabre170

None
Anyone in OCS now that could shed light on the situation in Pensacola? Has the hurricanes touched much of that area?

Jenmarie

Demons are cute when they sleep!
Contributor
MY fiance is in OCS right now and he said the wind has been crazy - but that's all the info I've got - and of course that's coming from someone who's never been anywhere near a hurricane - so our concept of what crazy wind is could be completely different from all of you who've actually been in the craziness.

virtu050 said:
last i heard p-cola has been unaffected by both hurricanes.

I think Ivan just affected p-cola :)

I just PCS'd to Gulfport, MS and I got an apt practically on the beach last wk. Wouldn't you know it, personal property delivered my household goods the day before my mandatory evacuation. :icon_rage

Oh well, I bugged the hell outta there and I'm just waiting to go back and see how everything I own faired last night.

If anyone is in OCS right now please post something about how the storm is being handled there. I kind of get the feeling that OCS just became an 11 wk course for those ppl there now.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The word I got is that the OCS people were evacuated to another military base about 5 miles north of Pensacola. It's supposed to have reinforced bunkers or storm shelters or something, I don't know the details. OCS graduation dates are the same and any drills or other events that have been cancelled due to Ivan will not be made up. This is second-hand info but it is the best I've got.

jano

they are at corry

They are at Corry Station in the crypto buildings, which apparently have the thickest walls. Cell phones were not allowed to be brought in so I haven't heard from my husband for a while now. I am sure they are fine though.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks jano for some insider info. Appreciate it :D

jano

I think it was yesterday morning? They were already at correy station then and couldn't use cell phones in the buildings as usual but he was using his friend's who had it in his car. So they must have let them drive there in their own vehicles I guess if his friend had his car. Just said they would wait the storm out there and that he was planning on sleeping as much as possible! I would assume when they get back in the cars to return to the base he can call again from whoever's cell phone he was using but I haven't heard from him yet. Hopefully I will soon.

Jenmarie

Demons are cute when they sleep!
Contributor
One of the girls heard from her husband at Correy Station and everything is fine. They did get to take their own vehicles, if they drove to OCS. That's how I heard from my fiance yesterday morning - someone was kind enough to let him use their phone.

xof

My brother is in OCS, and I just heard that all of the junior classes (that is, other than the classes that are going to be graduating in the next 3 weeks) are going to Newport, R.I. to complete OCS. Just a guess (actually, I'm trying to start a malicious rumor :) but they just might take over some of the facilities of the Naval Academy Prep School (NAPS) on that same base. The two senior OCS classes will (hopefully) be driven over to a base with a personnel department that isn't underwater (say, Panama City) and do all of their commisioning paperwork there.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
so... there might be senior classes with no candidate officer experience getting commissioned? hmm... i dunno, I think the last 2-3 weeks of "de-programming" was invaluable in my transition to Ensign. Imagine officers who are afraid to talk to chiefs.

GIJANE

GI JANE
NAS Pensacola was evacuated during the last hurricane. OCS was relocated to NAS Corry Station until the damage could be assessed. From what I have last found out 90% of the buildings there have major damage to them. There is a lot of work that needs to be done. I am not sure if the Officer Candidates have been moved back to Pensacola or not, but Pensacola itself was completely devestated during the hurricane.

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
Here's the new word...nothing is going to change.

From what is being circulated around the walls of the higher up's, the base has definitely sustained a significant amount of damage, but the cost of repairing the facilities there will be far less expensive than trying to move the entire process to another location. However, this is still just what the talks are producing...rumors and no real results yet. I think when they finally sat down and began discussing it all, they then realized just how tricky the situation is.

So, for right now, it looks like they will try to do everything they can to keep NASP the way it is, with both the technical training school and OCS. The move to RI should only be temporary, but we'll definitely find out more by the end of the week. If I come across anymore information, I'll be sure to post it. And if anyone else can learn more, please do the same.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.