• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS and Aviator Requirements

tmort

P-3FE
Hi all,

Looking for some clarification on requirements on being able to become an aviator in the Coast Guard. I am not looking to see how qualified I am but have some questions that I have always had a hard time finding.

A little back ground on my situation: I served one day short of 6 years in the Navy as a P-3 Flight Engineer. I separated in 2014 and have been getting my Civil Engineering degree since. I am 29 and will be graduating Spring 2019.

It looks like the maximum age for OCS is 31 and if accepted, can try to compete for a pilot slot once you get in. Being a Coast Guard officer has always been my dream, and I would love to be a pilot if given the opportunity.

My questions are:
1) What is the age limit for being accepted to flight school? If accepted for commissioning on my first application, I would be graduating OCS at 30 and wondering if I would have anymore chances if not accepted for a pilot slot in OCS.
2) What is the Coast Guard's current need for pilots? Has it grown with the increase in demand in the civilian field?

Any feedback on the above questions or any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much for your time.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi all,

Looking for some clarification on requirements on being able to become an aviator in the Coast Guard. I am not looking to see how qualified I am but have some questions that I have always had a hard time finding.

A little back ground on my situation: I served one day short of 6 years in the Navy as a P-3 Flight Engineer. I separated in 2014 and have been getting my Civil Engineering degree since. I am 29 and will be graduating Spring 2019.

It looks like the maximum age for OCS is 31 and if accepted, can try to compete for a pilot slot once you get in. Being a Coast Guard officer has always been my dream, and I would love to be a pilot if given the opportunity.

My questions are:
1) What is the age limit for being accepted to flight school? If accepted for commissioning on my first application, I would be graduating OCS at 30 and wondering if I would have anymore chances if not accepted for a pilot slot in OCS.
2) What is the Coast Guard's current need for pilots? Has it grown with the increase in demand in the civilian field?

Any feedback on the above questions or any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much for your time.

If only a certain source like google could help you find question 1... )I’ll give you a hint: the answer can be easily found that way.)

For question 2, your best bet is to contact a local coast guard officer recruiter. I’m a Navy OR and honestly don’t know.

Kirkaland

I'm an Army aviator currently waiting to hear back on the April DCA board results. So I can speak to #2 a bit, anecdotally I have heard from several sources (current CG aviators, people at CG recruiting command) that the demand for pilots is relatively high right now. That said CG is a small branch and lots of people want to be pilots.

As to #1, currently the maximum age is 31:

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/1be4e89

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Pretty sure the Coast Guard is hurting bad for pilots these days just as all of the services. A year ago they announced they would take applications for lateral transfer O4s up to age 40 if they could get a three year hitch put of you. (Applications, no guarantee they'd pick everyone up.) That and a 50 year old friend of mine just got recall orders out of retirement (20+ year O3E) to instruct in the T-6.

That means a guy like you has really good timing.

tmort

P-3FE
If only a certain source like google could help you find question 1... )I’ll give you a hint: the answer can be easily found that way.)

For question 2, your best bet is to contact a local coast guard officer recruiter. I’m a Navy OR and honestly don’t know.
I'm an Army aviator currently waiting to hear back on the April DCA board results. So I can speak to #2 a bit, anecdotally I have heard from several sources (current CG aviators, people at CG recruiting command) that the demand for pilots is relatively high right now. That said CG is a small branch and lots of people want to be pilots.

As to #1, currently the maximum age is 31:

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/1be4e89

Pretty sure the Coast Guard is hurting bad for pilots these days just as all of the services. A year ago they announced they would take applications for lateral transfer O4s up to age 40 if they could get a three year hitch put of you. (Applications, no guarantee they'd pick everyone up.) That and a 50 year old friend of mine just got recall orders out of retirement (20+ year O3E) to instruct in the T-6.

That means a guy like you has really good timing.
Sorry for the late reply (was working very remotely), but thank you all very much for the information and replying to my question. I think I have it figured out. I appreciate the information from within the service, it seems like a good time to put a package in.