• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS - Am I a good Candidate?

pmasters

Hey everybody, this is an excellent site and has been most informative as I am researching OCS. The Deal: I'm a current Sophomore in college, GPA=3.2, plenty of time-consuming extracurriculars, ect. I've always wanted to gain a commission in the Navy, so its one of my top choices for life after the university. And yes, I know, I need to go talk to the recruiter, but I felt that you folks might be able to give me some good straightforward advice on what OCS is looking for.

Its OCS, Law School or Grad school, preferably not the latter two!

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Here is the deal. I too have been lurking around the site for a few months now and have come to learn that for anyone to say you are golden/not for OCS is hard to do. They look at so many items: ASTB, GPA, Flight Experience, Extra-curricular Activities, Work Experience, etc...So to give you a rank based on your GPA alone is hard to do. But, since you are doing research on your future career plans, that is a start, and being on this website shows that you are at least motivated to get good information. Bottom line: talk to your recruiter, take the ASTB, put your paperwork together, and let everyone know how it goes. Then, someone with more experience than me may be able to tell you where your weaknesses are and how to improve.

Hope this helps you out and good luck on your application! Cheers.

fusu

pmasters

check out bdcp. I was in you shoes a year or two ago and this program is just too good to turn down. You still go to OCS, but you can get the salary of SN1 for your last two (non-technical major) or three (technical-major) years of college.

If you're on the fence BDCP will push you right over into the navy camp.

And yeah, like everyone will tell you, they look at the "whole person."

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
You won't know if you're a good candidate until you take the ASTB. Talk to the recruiter (officer recruiter, not enlisted!)

SWCS242

SWO in-training
You won't know if you're a good candidate until you take the ASTB. Talk to the recruiter (officer recruiter, not enlisted!)

Actually, you won't know if your a good candidate until you get accepted. They seriously look at so many different things. Having a decent GPA is a good start.

Oh and BDCP rocks, you should really look into it like fusu said.

Rasczak

Marine
Hey everybody, this is an excellent site and has been most informative as I am researching OCS. The Deal: I'm a current Sophomore in college, GPA=3.2, plenty of time-consuming extracurriculars, ect. I've always wanted to gain a commission in the Navy, so its one of my top choices for life after the university. And yes, I know, I need to go talk to the recruiter, but I felt that you folks might be able to give me some good straightforward advice on what OCS is looking for.

Its OCS, Law School or Grad school, preferably not the latter two!
No. They don't want you. You won't make it.
:D

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
No. They don't want you. You won't make it.
:D
+1 I agree, if you don't want to go to law school or grad school, I suggest joining a monestary and praying for those of us that drink, eat red meat, and kill terrorists. (Insert hookers and blow comment here)

pmasters

Haha thanks everyone, I'm going to the recruiter this week. And apparently BDCP really is as good as it sounds, planned on applying this summer to see if I get in, I hear its pretty competitive. But seriously, that is an AWESOME sounding deal, active duty pay, completing my degree AND going to OCS afterwards?

For the record, I love both booze and red meat, and am not particularly fond of terrorists.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Haha thanks everyone, I'm going to the recruiter this week. And apparently BDCP really is as good as it sounds, planned on applying this summer to see if I get in, I hear its pretty competitive. But seriously, that is an AWESOME sounding deal, active duty pay, completing my degree AND going to OCS afterwards?

For the record, I love both booze and red meat, and am not particularly fond of terrorists. I think we train people in the military to not need prayers. If some all mighty being has to help you out, well frankly you're doing a shitty job :icon_wink

Yeah you are totally right, praying didn't work for my cousin, I guess he was relying too much on that huh? Must have been doing a "shitty" job.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I think we train people in the military to not need prayers. If some all mighty being has to help you out, well frankly you're doing a shitty job :icon_wink

Having known several tried and proven service members who were excellent examples to the service while being quite religious, a few not on this mortal plane, was this comment really necessary? I guess my dad (church minister, 23 years Navy), his brother (church deacon, 20+ years Navy), and my grandfather's (Navy WWII survivor, 50 year church deacon, deceased) near century of Naval service or my high school buddy killed in Iraq equate to a shitty job huh?

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
pmasters-

Dude, you really shouldn't say that sort of stuff anywhere. Your beliefs are your own and I respect that, I won't try and sway you one way or the other, but you need to be more conscious of the other people around you. Remember, this is a MILITARY forum, many of the people here know friends, peers, family members who have fought and died bravely for our country. This is a good lesson that you should be more respectful for those around you, especially in the military. If you won't say it to someones face, don't say it on the internet.

Best

phrogpilot73

Whatever he meant, it's a good example of why certain things are generally off-limits in wardroom/ready room discussions. Sex, Politics, and Religion. So everyone can drop the discussion now because as you all know, we try and make this a virtual ready/wardroom and the webmaster has posted his guidance on that idea.

pmasters

Hey I'm sorry if that comment offended anyone, just trying to be a little light-hearted. I agree that was easily misinterpreted and I'll delete it. It was really meant as a complement but looking re-reading it I can see how it can be taken as an insult to any religious folks. Especially for anyone who has, God forbid, lost anyone in the service. I DEFINITELY did not mean to suggest that its their own fault. My bad guys, definitely poor taste.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Didn't the whole "hookers and blow" thing used to be Flynavy's thing? What happened to him? You get hornets and all of a sudden you're too cool for school?...:D