• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS advice for significant others

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
His time can increase, but not by too much, and it depends on the DI when they get mail. I think we were in the 3rd week or so. Understand that it is better for him to be isolated now from friends and family. It makes the training easier. As hard as it is to hear, OCS is his girl now. Give it some time.

Dvo919

Ok thanks. Guess this is going to be even more difficult than I anticipated since I figured we would at least have the letters to get through this - but I guess I'll need to get through without even those for a few weeks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok thanks. Guess this is going to be even more difficult than I anticipated since I figured we would at least have the letters to get through this - but I guess I'll need to get through without even those for a few weeks.

I know this may seem tough, especially if you're young, but compared to deployment, this ain't even a blip on the radar screen. If this separation is ripping you up inside, then it might be time for a gut check as to whether you can handle a 7-8 month separation during cruise. Just sayin'. ;)

Brett

candycane

Aug is the first classes for the FY-10 and your boyfriend's class is the first class for the FY! If your boyfriend reported to OCS with the 9 Aug class, his class number is 01-10... I know a few people in that class. I report 30 Aug and my class number is 04-10.

If you write a letter now he should be able to read it... Sunday's are down time, at which time they can write/read letters. Send it now, he'll get time to read it eventually...

He just called today. It was only for ten minutes but I feel so much better now that I know he's sticking it out. I was so happy to hear from him. I told him not to worry and that now that I have his class number I will write him all the time. I also sent a message to some of his friends giving them his address so that they can write as well. Thanks for all the help and advice!

I know this may seem tough, especially if you're young, but compared to deployment, this ain't even a blip on the radar screen. If this separation is ripping you up inside, then it might be time for a gut check as to whether you can handle a 7-8 month separation during cruise. Just sayin'. ;)

Brett

It's definitely a big shock to us especially when you go from being around him 24/7 to not knowing when you'll here from him. But he told me to post my concerns and questions on this forum and it definitely helped. I know this is supposed to be a preview or at least a test for the family as well, but I think because our relationship is so strong it will all work out. I am one of those girls who likes to plan out her life and future, but I'm starting to realize that the unpredictable, adventurous and crazy life of a pilot's wife might not be so bad. The first week is probably the worst, but I'm so proud of him and I really think this will also help me to be a more strong and independent individual. Thanks so much for the support.

candycane

An informative website to visit is http://www.projo.com/extra/2008/ocs/

My hubby is in class 02-10, so we can get through this together :icon_wink

haha I was on that site before he even left. He made me watch it. lol These past two weeks have been pretty well, but Sunday when he called I started getting emotional just because I was glad to hear his voice. I think he took it the wrong way and is worrying about me now. I explained everything in my letters and I'm even emailing him now. He knows that I'm an emotional wreck with life in general, but for some reason he's just getting paranoid because he's like that with a lot of things. I just wish I could hold a decent conversation for an hour so that I can reassure him of things. BTW, he's class 01-10. And thanks for the support. Hope you're doing well! Thanks.:eek:

chelley

These past two weeks have been pretty well, but Sunday when he called I started getting emotional just because I was glad to hear his voice. I think he took it the wrong way and is worrying about me now. I explained everything in my letters and I'm even emailing him now. He knows that I'm an emotional wreck with life in general, but for some reason he's just getting paranoid because he's like that with a lot of things.

Not trying to be rude, so please don't take this the wrong way, but you both are going to need to work on that. These next few years are not going to be about you and you're going to have to be stronger while he learns to worry about you less. I don't think OCS is a "good test" for how the fleet will be, but I did think it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about myself. Enjoy it and I wish you guys the best!!

GeigerLiger

Supporter
Not trying to be rude, so please don't take this the wrong way, but you both are going to need to work on that. These next few years are not going to be about you and you're going to have to be stronger while he learns to worry about you less.

I totally agree with this statement. The last thing your man needs while he is going through OCS (at the very least) is to have to worry about his loved ones back home. Suck up some of those tears and try and muffle your shaky voices when he calls. Remind him how much you love him and keep sending letters! Looking back on my DB's OCS experience, he said the letters were the only things that got him through. Once OCS is all behind the both of you, all of these rough times will be but a fleeting memory. My DB has not deployed yet, but I hope to think I have gained some great insight into how I will need to react when he does from his stint at OCS. Good Luck!!!

ksdemm

haha I was on that site before he even left. He made me watch it. lol These past two weeks have been pretty well, but Sunday when he called I started getting emotional just because I was glad to hear his voice. I think he took it the wrong way and is worrying about me now. I explained everything in my letters and I'm even emailing him now. He knows that I'm an emotional wreck with life in general, but for some reason he's just getting paranoid because he's like that with a lot of things. I just wish I could hold a decent conversation for an hour so that I can reassure him of things. BTW, he's class 01-10. And thanks for the support. Hope you're doing well! Thanks.:eek:

Both of you will be fine and get used to it. My hubby and I met in the Navy, got out, and now he is going officer for a career enhancement opportunity. I became so spoiled because although he traveled a lot as a civil servant, I could communicate with him whenever I wanted. This is a little different for us, but we are used to the distance issue, and you will get used to it as well, just keep your chin up. Your reaction to hearing his voice is perfectly normal because not only do you miss him, but you are probably worried sick about him, too. I just knew that it would be a normal conversation when my hubby called, but as soon as I heard his voice I broke down because I was just so relieved that he was okay and made it through that first obstacle...after his first week, he still had his great sense of humor. Just remember that in 3 months, you both will look back and laugh, and know that the time there is such a small sacrifice for the life-long benefits that will follow. He is obviously a successful individual to have made it into OCS anyway, so there is only more success to follow.

skim

None
Contributor
Just also be prepared for when he gets underway. I try to keep home in the back of my mind. It keeps it easier that way.

Dvo919

He mentioned the Navy Birthday Ball in October but said he wasn't sure if he could bring a guest. I assume he isn't able to, but i figured i'd ask anyways. Does anyone know whether they get to bring someone?

Belle

two babies make a mama insane
He mentioned the Navy Birthday Ball in October but said he wasn't sure if he could bring a guest. I assume he isn't able to, but i figured i'd ask anyways. Does anyone know whether they get to bring someone?

He should be able to bring a date; he will be pretty far along in his training at that point, correct? As in almost done? He might even have liberty for the weekend.

My husband was about halfway through training when they had their dining out and I was able to go to the event with him and after he was able to stay with me out in town.

I don't want to get your hopes up because things happen and classes get locked down for the inanest of reasons, but part of the point of the formal event(s) during OCS is for the candidates to learn proper protocol and ettiquette and part of that usually involves bringing a date.

skim

None
Contributor
bringing a date will be entirely up to the class staff.

chelley

It's all pretty up in the air until the last week or so depending on how well his class has been behaving. Be prepared to buy an expensive plane ticket.