• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 183 - Charlie Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Williamson

GOOOODD MOOOOORRNNNING CHARLIE COMPANY!!!

I wanted to see who all on here went to and graduated from OCS this summer (2003). For all those who did, congrats and I hope to see you at TBS next fall. For all those still waiting, I just wanted to post my thoughts for others to learn from.

1) Get a set of canteen covers and web belt early on (ie 1st liberty). DO NOT use these for inspections as some instructors will fail you for it. Instead use them for in the field and use the issued gear for inspections. The result is the same, and it will save you a ton of time cleaning them later on.

2) Don't EVER think about the instructors dropping you for your mistakes, it will only make you nervous and seem uncertain. This was my primary mistake down there which I paid dearly for.

3) NEVER complain, whatever you are going through, no matter how bad, someone else has it worse. I saw men in my Plt run and hump with horrible feet. Anyway, others have succeeded at the same things in the past.

4) Do not hold grudges against anyone.

Those are the four things that I learned down there. They may seem simple but until you are out there, in the field and your feet, legs, and back are hurting its hard to tell what you will do.

Good luck and God Speed Charlie Company! 3rd Plt, the largest and best in the Company
icon_smile_wink.gif
keep charging ahead, we can't get 2nd place forever. Semper Fi and see you in the Fleet.

farkle84

i disagree with the canteen covers and belt. i went throught the entire program and only failed one inspection (mainly because it was the first one and everyone fails) with the gear they issued. all you have to do is after an event where you are going through the mud and water, take your gear to the shower and clear it off. dont let that crap stay on there too long. if you take care of your equipment they you will be in good shape. save your money on a hotel room on libo or something.

matthewbohman

I read something about wanting multiple pairs of boots, so that you always have a set for inspection clean and ready to go. Boots are on the list of things to bring to OCS, but I only have one pair that my OSO gave me and they're a half size too large. Can we just buy them once we get there?

farkle84

i had three pairs of boots. one pair of leathers for drill and marching, jungle boots for inspections and o course, and PT boots for humps and events they will let you wear them on. i knew a guy that had those three boots and bought a pair of boots for inspection and he never had to spit shine them, they were shiny as heck, dont know what they were called but they ran 90 bucks i think. i got through with three pairs and i knew guys who got through with two pairs. so its really up to you. i just thought i would save some money and not buy a pair for just inspections. but thats just me.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
I agree with Farkle on the boots issue. Once you get going on developing a good spit shine, it shouldn't be too hard to bring back. I had a pair of PT boots, and the two issued pairs. I always wore my jungles throughout the week, and come saturday morning had them spiffed up for inspection. Actually, on all but a few of my inspections my comments read that I had "outstanding boots".

As a matter of example, the guy on the rack next to me wore his jungles on SULE II, and then a couple days later had them ready for inspection. Personally I wore PT boots for SULE II.

Of course, you must remember that both me and Farkle's advise comes from the dark ages when there were only black boots. I have heard that the new boots can be difficult to clean, so maybe my advise is out of date.

matthewbohman

Thanks for the advice guys. Anything I can pick up will hopefully make me feel a little less worthless while I'm being yelled at.

Jonathan Williamson

As far as the canteens, yes you can get through with the issued stuff, you just have to take good care of it. In fact I didn't do what I suggested till the very end, and then it was also so that I could have a set at home to run with before TBS and during school. It is assumed that you should take care of your stuff, however some instructors wanted the belts "blackened" and so forth that would not be considered normal maintenance.

As for the boots, I ended up getting a 3rd set of boots, but ONLY because the tan Jungles were killing my feet. I still don't know what happened with them but they continue to cause me problems. I would say if you can get by with the issued stuff, do it. The boots are a little expensive for my taste to be buying inspection sets. That could just be me though.

megrey06

Kingsville
Another Charlie grad dropping by. I was one of the few who got to commission on the 8th, so I am back here in Quantico waiting for Fox company to class up at TBS. Jonathan, good luck to you this year in school. If you are air, I may see you later in training. The down times between the various parts of flight school can be long at times, so you may not be that far behind me.

I was in 5th Platoon just below you guys in the "House".

-Matt Grey
2ndLt USMC

moesoccer

its good to hear from fellow charlie co grads. i was in first platoon. i didn't get commisioned on the 8, i still a year left of school so i am looking forward to that. good luck while at TBS and see ya in the fleet.
monica hardin

Status
Not open for further replies.