• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCC Slots

DimndDave14

I was wondering with the high attrition rates in the 190 and 191 class. How will that affect the up coming 192 and 193 classes. Willit be easier to get in because they will need to bring in more candidates. Also where can you find these numbers?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I wouldnt imagine that they'd bring in more guys because they think that most of them will not make it. What would happen if for some reason everyone, or close to everyone graduated? There would be too many people. If by numbers you mean how many air/ground slots for the OCC, then I think your best bet would be talk to the OSO and he can tell you if its air heavy or ground heavy. They always change.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
DimndDave14 said:
I was wondering with the high attrition rates in the 190 and 191 class. How will that affect the up coming 192 and 193 classes. Willit be easier to get in because they will need to bring in more candidates. Also where can you find these numbers?

Why were the attrition rates higher than normal? Anyone have an educated idea?

DimndDave14

The attrition rates have been higher than normal. Is there any way to find out if they need more air contracts or ground contracts ? The OSO I talked to said he didnt know what was in store for the fall. Is there any where else you can find out this info instead of going through and OSO ?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Ok, the only person you can talk to and get a real idea about numbers for upcoming classes would be your OSO, you could go over his head but I wouldn't advise that as a career starter.

Attrition rates are only up (higher than normal) because they were down (lower than normal) the previous classes when things had been cut back and the candidates allowed to sleep more and weren't put under as much stressing. This is not intended to get into a discussion about "back when I was in" or "I had it harder than you" but rather a simple statement of facts. Late summer 2003 a new CO to OCS came in and he changed things around in an effort to reduce injuries and people who were dropped for medical reasons. Since then things have reverted back to the way there were, and the added stress has resulted in an attrition rate roughly the same as it was before the change of command.

Believe it or not high attrition rates are GOOD for the Marine Corps and good for the country. Hard standards mean that only the best get through, which is what the young enlisted Marines deserve.

My Company through OCS dropped about 45% of those who started and of those dropped another 5-10% in people who didn't take their commissions or lost it for some reason at or before TBS. Those that were dropped were for GOOD reason and more importantly if they had stayed they might have gotten someone killed.

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
Are the attrition rates attributed mostly to PFT, or are there other things that OCS gets tough on in throwing people out?? I know a bad attitude can get you thrown out, but what is the major reasons for not making it??

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Riper Snifle said:
Are the attrition rates attributed mostly to PFT, or are there other things that OCS gets tough on in throwing people out?? I know a bad attitude can get you thrown out, but what is the major reasons for not making it??

Probably the biggest one when I went through was medical (NPQed) followed closely by DORs and "Leadership" drops...very few are related to the PFTs, they are strict on the first PFT so they don't waste time on those who aren't prepared. Academics aren't hard but it is easy to get so wrapped up that you don't prepare properly and end up either failing or not doing well. Yes a bad attitude will draw a ton of unwanted attention and probably get you booted, but perhaps the one that people don't expect so much are integrity violations. Any type of integrity violation, no matter how small, is grounds for dismissal. I know a few people who got flustered and lied about something very tiny, a little white lie perhaps and were caught...they didn't remain long.

The entire point of OCS is to test the candidates under great pressure (both physical and mental) to see how they respond and get rid of those that the command feel are unfit or not well suited to lead Marines. The most important thing is to see how people respond when they fail, as everyone does at OCS.

If they want you gone they have plenty of opportunities to get rid of you. They will either ride you till you DOR or they will ride you until you go "internal" which will kill your peer evals and therefore your command eval as well and then you will go to "boards" and if the Colonel desides you will be on your way home that day.

When one is preparing for OCS its just not possible to prepare for the stress, lack of sleep, or pure physical exhaustion that you will experience at OCS. For those of you that think that OCS will be easier for priors, all I can say is that about 40% of those my PLT dropped were priors, some who were there because of outstanding service to that point.

If you think that you could never DOR then consider that no one goes to OCS thinking about quiting, they are all very dedicated individuals. After a while the weeks wear on you and more than one person has quit saying that they couldn't live like "this" for four more years...keep in mind that after OCS everything gets better and EVERYTHING is done for a reason...you won't think so at the time but its true...

sorry about rambling...

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Most candidates who leave OCS are not summarily dropped from the program. You start out on the lowest of three gradually more restricting levels of probation.

The first of which is Platoon Probation: a number of candidates will find themselves on platoon probation for failing a test or two, or failing a physical test (any course, dropped out of runs, SULE I etc.). You'll be counseled by your platoon commander and sent on your merry way with an admonishment to not fail anything else. LOTS of candidates in your platoon will be on platoon probation before OCS is over. The point is not to freak out if this happens to you. Just make sure you don't get sent up to the next highest level of probation...that's right:

Company Probation. This is where you go with a history of sub par performance in any number of events. This is more serious and you don't want this. Start to worry and wire your $hit tight if you get here. You will be restricted to base for libo for the duration of OCS and will have to meet your company commander. He will also counsel you on your continued sub par performance and tell you that if you dick up more your will see the Colonel. If you fail again:

Battalion Probation: You are under serious review to be sent home. The Colonel is the only memeber of the staff at OCS who can make the call to send you home. He will look over your CRB (candidate record book, a book that documents EVERYTHING you've done at OCS), judge your bearing and desire to be an officer of Marines based on the recommendation of your staff and company commander and his impression of you, and make the call. People do come back from battalion probation with one last warning, but alot of candidates who get pulled out class to meet the Colonel never come back. As in, when you get back to the squadbay their rack is bare and foot and wall lockers are empty. If you find yourself on battalion probation your libo is restricted to Brown Field for the duration of OCS.

There is one way that will get you summarily dismissed from training: integrity violation. There is no return from this. People in your company will make this mistake.

So as you can see, you have fair warning before you are sent home from OCS. Attrition there for perfomance is really nothing to fear, but to be prepared for.

Also, for those looking for hard numbers on attrition: It varies between the type class. OCC companies have alot higher attrition rates than Golf and Echo companies. This is due to the latter having prior experience with the training environment. So to answer your question, I graduated from Echo and we lost about 22% of my platoon.

Semper Fi, Doc

muc1

Does anyone have any insight into age and completion of OCS. How do candidates over 30 do?

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I graduated at 27. I was the second oldest in my company. It's a matter of not having any rest to heal between physical events. The younger guys seem to have less turn around time. I regularly felt the previous physical event two days after.

So much of the physical attrition at OCS is just pure luck. A bad grip in the O-course, a misstep on one of the humps or trail runs. The only thing you can do is show up in as good of shape as possible. Also, stretch rigorously before you go and while you're there. Increased flexibility will really help lower your chances of an injury.