• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCC-196 Dropout.

jwoger

Hello everyone, I will spare you the details and get straight to the point. 2-3 years ago i received an AIR Contract in the USMC. I believe my class was 196. For family/personal reasons, i "DOR'd" on week 4. The colonel of OCS told me he would not let me apply again. Of course, that decision has been haunting me ever since. I would like some suggestions on what i could do to be accepted again and what my chances are. I scored pretty well on the astb and my pft was also good. I just obtained my CFI and have about 300 hours of flight time. Please let me know what you guys think.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Hello everyone, I will spare you the details and get straight to the point. 2-3 years ago i received an AIR Contract in the USMC. I believe my class was 196. For family/personal reasons, i "DOR'd" on week 4. The colonel of OCS told me he would not let me apply again. Of course, that decision has been haunting me ever since. I would like some suggestions on what i could do to be accepted again and what my chances are. I scored pretty well on the astb and my pft was also good. I just obtained my CFI and have about 300 hours of flight time. Please let me know what you guys think.

You DOR'ed. That's it, you had your chance.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello everyone, I will spare you the details and get straight to the point. 2-3 years ago i received an AIR Contract in the USMC. I believe my class was 196.

Good guess

Hello Everyone. I will also be attending OCC 196. Got selected for AIR. I'm curious as to what exactly are Go Fasters? I would appreciate a link. Thanks.

For family/personal reasons, i "DOR'd" on week 4. The colonel of OCS told me he would not let me apply again.

When you left OCS, you were assigned a separation code (RE code). That is likely what the Colonel was referring to as he determines whether any service should consider a subsequent application of any type.

Of course, that decision has been haunting me ever since. I would like some suggestions on what i could do to be accepted again and what my chances are.

You call your OSO first and see if they would consider you at all. With the long line of qualified applicants, you shouldn't get your hopes up. A lot will depend on what the Colonel assigned you. Aside from that, you'll have to have a really compelling story as to why you decided to DOR and, more importantly, how that won't happen again.

I scored pretty well on the astb and my pft was also good. I just obtained my CFI and have about 300 hours of flight time. Please let me know what you guys think.

Call your OSO.

jwoger

For several months my OSO called me several times to tell me he could get me back in the program if i really wanted to. This leads me to believe i have a reason code he could or could've worked with. Regardless, i know that he's no longer an OSO and i'm trying to get in contact with him.

On a further note, am i correct to assume that my DOR will affect my ability to get accepted as an officer in any branch?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
For several months my OSO called me several times to tell me he could get me back in the program if i really wanted to. This leads me to believe i have a reason code he could or could've worked with. Regardless, i know that he's no longer an OSO and i'm trying to get in contact with him.

On a further note, am i correct to assume that my DOR will affect my ability to get accepted as an officer in any branch?

Yes. I vaguely remember on my BDCP (Navy) application, it asked if you had ever been in a commissioning program of any kind (any service) and why you didn't commission. DOR isn't a get out of jail free card. It has very REAL consequences, which should have been made clear to you while at OCS before you pulled the trigger.

m26

Contributor
Yes. I vaguely remember on my BDCP (Navy) application, it asked if you had ever been in a commissioning program of any kind (any service) and why you didn't commission.

It's on there.

PREVIOUS OFFICER APPLICATION DATA
Have you previously applied for a program leading to a commission in any service? (i.e. OCS, ROTC, OIS, PLC, Service Academy, etc)

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
All you can do is try, but I'd certainly not set your hopes very high. You had an incredible opportunity and voluntarily gave it up. I'm certain that will weigh on the minds of those that make the decision.

For what its worth, I remember you - We were in the same platoon at OCS.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
I've seen a few people be allowed to return after a DOR. One of them quit again. Overall I'd say your odds aren't good, and rightly so, but you might have a chance if you prove that you're worth it. You might as well try. Aggressively admitting that you messed up the first time is more important than trying to explain it, as your excuses will sound like nails on a chalkboard to those involved in the selection process. Show up to the OSO office groomed, wearing proper attire, and ready to prove yourself. "I've matured a lot since then" might be a good start.

Your second go will be much more difficult because you will have to fight the stigma of being a "quitter" until the day you commission. After that, most people won't know or care.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Yes. I vaguely remember on my BDCP (Navy) application, it asked if you had ever been in a commissioning program of any kind (any service) and why you didn't commission. DOR isn't a get out of jail free card. It has very REAL consequences,which should have been made clear to you while at OCS before you pulled the trigger.

They are made clear.

i know of a couple of people who have returned after a DOR. The subject of their DORs were all for very serious reasons (ie family emergency). Just like Hey Joe said, you need to plead your case to your OSO and see if he is willing to work with you. Dont be surprised if he shows you the door though. The Marine Corps reached its growth quota way ahead of schedule and they commissioned too many Officers this FY so they can be really picky right now.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Real men do 10 weeks and then don't accept their commission.

So sister, I think you have a long road ahead of you.

DavidC

Might as well try, but don't expect your flight time to make much of a difference. My PFT score has been more important than my 1500 hours so far.

jwoger

All you can do is try, but I'd certainly not set your hopes very high. You had an incredible opportunity and voluntarily gave it up. I'm certain that will weigh on the minds of those that make the decision.

For what its worth, I remember you - We were in the same platoon at OCS.

Yeah i remember you too. Glad to see you made it.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

jtmedli

pilot
Might as well try, but don't expect your flight time to make much of a difference. My PFT score has been more important than my 1500 hours so far.

yeah my OSO hasn't asked me once for a copy of my logbook or anything. He's asked me about PT though!!!