• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Obama says we should learn Spanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevo16

pilot
I spent the first 19 years of my life growing up in south Texas and was stationed in San Diego for four years. The only times that I had any need to speak spanish was to order food or communicate with my landscaper and babysitter. Even the guys taking bets down at Caliente' spoke perfect english. Sorry if that sounds bigoted, it's just my experience.

English is a money language, and it's the international language of business. m0tbaillie had some interesting statistics on how many people speak what languages. It would be interesting to know what % of the world's wealth is held by people who speak english.

I had no trouble shopping in Singapore, Dubai, Greece, or Lisbon while only being able to speak english. I even had a port call in Russia and the majority of the population there spoke passable english.

Our parents, grandparents, and great grandparents worked to damn hard to win the wars and build the economy that made our lifestyle and economy the envy of the world. I am not about to start feeling sorry for it, and I am not going to waste my time learning to speak a language that I am not going to have any use for. If you think that learning the language that is spoken primarily in 3rd world countries is going to help you get a job and make more money, knock yourself out. You are welcome to those jobs my friend.

I don't think that it is bad for someone who aspires for political office to encourage education. I have not problem with Obama saying that he thinks it is important for all Americans to learn a 2nd language. I do think that he is wrong, but he is wrong on so many other things that this one is pretty far down the list. What I do have a problem with is the way Obama talks down to his audience. I don't like the way he seems to want to say that he is sorry for American success. This nation has only existed since 1776, and we are the greatest nation on the planet. No apologies, no regrets, no habla español.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I don't think that it is bad for someone who aspires for political office to encourage education. I have not problem with Obama saying that he thinks it is important for all Americans to learn a 2nd language. I do think that he is wrong, but he is wrong on so many other things that this one is pretty far down the list. What I do have a problem with is the way Obama talks down to his audience. I don't like the way he seems to want to say that he is sorry for American success. This nation has only existed since 1776, and we are the greatest nation on the planet. No apologies, no regrets, no habla español.

I don't think he's trying to talk down to his audience, rather, I think Obama is making valid points in that we are a superpower, and if we want to remain the foremost eminent, competitive entity in the rapidly globalizing landscape of our world, we as Americans *have* to step up to the plate and take drastic measures to remain on top. Obama is saying what many see as too bold or brash - he's just pointing out what a lot of people already know but don't say.

Never before in history has communication and travel been so abundant and easy. It it easy to say that since English is currently the language of business/money, that everybody should revolve around learning English however even a hundred years ago, English was not the pre-eminent language - through various times in history the most widely-spoken languages of business have been French and German. The world moves in and out of phases like that and I highly doubt with India and China topping a billion people *each* that we will be without flux and will find ourselves *not* needing to adapt to a new, ever-changing global landscape. As far as learning "third-world" languages goes, surely you realize what kind of money someone fluent in Arabic or Farsi or Dari (and a clearance to go along with that) can make these days? Hardly peanuts. I've been trying to take Arabic every semester for four years of college at two different universities and have found the courses full each and every semester. There's a demand somewhere.

But, you are most definitely right in that we should not go out of our way as a society to pander to anybody, but we *should* strive to be a more worldly culture and a more worldly society, as a nation of immigrants, if we wish to remain the "tip" of the global spear.

It can't hurt, it can only work to our benefit.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
But, you are most definitely right in that we should not go out of our way as a society to pander to anybody, but we *should* strive to be a more worldly culture and a more worldly society, as a nation of immigrants, if we wish to remain the "tip" of the global spear.

It can't hurt, it can only work to our benefit.

1. Perception is reality and Obama does talk down to his audience.

2. There is nothing wrong with learning a second language to communicate with others in their own countries; however, all of the major countries in the world use English as the international language of business.

3. Yes we are a nation of immigrants, but we are that way for a reason. Speaking spanish so you can communicate with immigrants or illegals is ridiculous. Requiring it is even more absurd. I wish I knew a second language, but not for use in my own country. Travel down this road too long and you will soon see our national identity slip away and our great history with it.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

It's interesting you bring up the ease of travel in a discussion about international languages. English is the recognized language for flying, so if travel and ease of it is what makes, or at least helps, the world go round, I can't see Indian or Mandarin "evolving" into the language of business/travel/etc. Otherwise, there's gonna be a huge log jam on the horizon.

Learning a second language is always a good thing, but saying require it when we don't even have English as an official language of the U.S. is just absurd.

Just my two cents.

Someday

Dude?
I had no trouble shopping in Singapore, Dubai, Greece, or Lisbon while only being able to speak english. I even had a port call in Russia and the majority of the population there spoke passable english.

Who needs to speak a foriegn language when the rest of the world speaks dollar...I mean english.

Are we really arguing about the relative merits of learning a foreign language?

Really?

Seriously?

SD

MasterBates

I speak two languages.

One semi-fluent (English), and one conversational (Latvian).

I think I NEED Espanol to communicate with the locals here, but last I checked I was in the USA, so find me the dude at Lowes who speaks English.

If I was in Mexico, and at Casa Depot, I would not expect help in English.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I think I NEED Espanol to communicate with the locals here, but last I checked I was in the USA, so find me the dude at Lowes who speaks English.

If I was in Mexico, and at Casa Depot, I would not expect help in English.

But the thing is, is Obama wasn't just referring to how we act here in the US, he also mentioned that we tend to go overseas knowing only English and for the most part expect everyone to cater to us. It *IS* embarrassing going to the Netherlands or France or Scandanavia where everybody does speak not only their native language, but a fair bit of the language of their neighbors as well. It's not that it should be "required" or mandated, but it would sure generally help out our image in the world if we at least attempted to gain a passable understanding of another language or two, would it not?

I'm definitely not saying it should be "required" in the US by any means - that's each and every person's own decision to make. I'm just saying it would be a great idea if not only high schools, but middle and elementary schools (the younger the better) threw in a few languages. Little kids pick up new languages in a matter of months. I remember in high school (my school was K-12) little kids used to come in from the States - maybe 4 or 6 years old - and within 6 months of going to our school they'd be chattering in Turkish, usually Russian (we had a lot of kids from former Soviet satellite countries) and another language or two. It was amazing and it gave them something that would greatly benefit them later on in life.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
But the thing is, is Obama wasn't just referring to how we act here in the US, he also mentioned that we tend to go overseas knowing only English and for the most part expect everyone to cater to us. It *IS* embarrassing going to the Netherlands or France or Scandanavia where everybody does speak not only their native language, but a fair bit of the language of their neighbors as well. It's not that it should be "required" or mandated, but it would sure generally help out our image in the world if we at least attempted to gain a passable understanding of another language or two, would it not?

I think the biggest difference when you compare the U.S. with Europe is the close proximity of the countries in Europe. Here in the U.S. you can drive for three days due east and still be in the same country. Do that in Europe and you'll go from Portugal and end up in Russia.

It would only make sense then that they learn more language, especially now that it's the EU and you can drive to any country without a passport. It's a lot more common for an average Joe over there to travel to more than one country on at least a semi-regular basis. Compare that to here, the only thing we really have is Spanish to the south as Canada is both French and English, and the average Joe doesn't ever go out of the continental 48, not to mention overseas, so why should he learn another language?

I think if a person wants to learn a language, good on them, but saying that we all need to teach our kids Spanish I think is out of line.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I think the biggest difference when you compare the U.S. with Europe is the close proximity of the countries in Europe. Here in the U.S. you can drive for three days due east and still be in the same country. Do that in Europe and you'll go from Portugal and end up in Russia.

It would only make sense then that they learn more language, especially now that it's the EU and you can drive to any country without a passport. It's a lot more common for an average Joe over there to travel to more than one country on at least a semi-regular basis. Compare that to here, the only thing we really have is Spanish to the south as Canada is both French and English, and the average Joe doesn't ever go out of the continental 48, not to mention overseas, so why should he learn another language?

I think if a person wants to learn a language, good on them, but saying that we all need to teach our kids Spanish I think is out of line.

I agree with your post almost entirely. However, since the Hispanic population is a very significant portion of our country now, I think it is important that we meet each other in the middle so to speak. I think it would be important to learn a rough basic knowledge of Spanish and the Mexican/South American population gain a decent grasp on English. With globalization not going away anytime soon..and most likely not at all, it would make things a lot easier if we understood the language and culture of our neighbors. In the business world especially, it is a good idea to have a solid grasp of another language or a few languages to compete in the global market of today. Russian/Japanese/Chinese corporations have a strong knowledge of English and study our culture..how many businessmen/women do we send to China or Japan that can't speak the language or are totally culture shocked when we arrive to their country for an important meeting?

VIZKRIEG

KILL
WARNING:LONG POST AHEAD

I agree with your post almost entirely. However, since the Hispanic population is a very significant portion of our country now, I think it is important that we meet each other in the middle so to speak. I think it would be important to learn a rough basic knowledge of Spanish and the Mexican/South American population gain a decent grasp on English. With globalization not going away anytime soon..and most likely not at all, it would make things a lot easier if we understood the language and culture of our neighbors. In the business world especially, it is a good idea to have a solid grasp of another language or a few languages to compete in the global market of today. Russian/Japanese/Chinese corporations have a strong knowledge of English and study our culture..how many businessmen/women do we send to China or Japan that can't speak the language or are totally culture shocked when we arrive to their country for an important meeting?

I haven't really been involved in this discussion so far (and no offense to you man), but I don't think we need to meet anyone in the middle of anything. Do I agree with a lot of the above posts that say we should strive to be bilingual on an individual basis, but to say that we, as a group, have an obligation to make things easy for those who aren't willing to learn English is preposterous. Yes, there were many places in the US in which languages other than English were commonly spoken, but immigrants were expected, as they still should be, to learn English. *The "old school" immigrants typically went through phases. Those that actually immigrated to the US often did not know English, and the first generation that was born here was discouraged from speaking the language of their parents so they could assimilate better. This first generation of American born folks served as interpreters for the older generations. Finally, subsequent generations often grew curious about their roots and heritage, so they made an effort to learn the old language, in addition to already speaking English, of course.

*Disclaimer-the following is not supported by any resources right now, simply the pattern that I remember from history and social studies classes in both high school and college.

In the end, shouldn't everyone who desires to join American society, in one form or another, be responsible for making themselves a contributor, or at least a non-factor, rather than creating a drain on resources by maintaining aspects of another culture that conflict with their new culture. That is not to say that these people, no matter where they come from, should forget their individual prior heritage, but that they should embrace their new one as well.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
I forgot to add that we, as Americans, should be held equally responsible for embracing the cultures we visit, rather than expecting concessions like the majority of the population speaking at least passable English, even though most do anyway.

It all comes down to respect, those moving here should have respect for American culture and language, as should we for those we visit.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I forgot to add that we, as Americans, should be held equally responsible for embracing the cultures we visit, rather than expecting concessions like the majority of the population speaking at least passable English, even though most do anyway.

It all comes down to respect, those moving here should have respect for American culture and language, as should we for those we visit.

+1. This is basically exactly what I've been trying to say all thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.