• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Obama says we should learn Spanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
ARTS or ATHLETICS?!?! I may be way off here, but it seems to me school ought to teach a person those classroom based subjects and expand the intellect and reasoning abilities of its students. To say that we should funnel funds from academic classes to support sports teams seems rather misguided. Most students will not play professional sports, but pretty much all of them will need algebraic reasoning, reading skills, and yes, foreign language skills.

...the lessons in logic, cultural awareness, bias, and the pure utility of the 2nd langauge are all highly beneficial in this "Flat World" of multiculturalism and multinational corporations.

Logic/cultural awareness...hmm sounds a lot like something education in the arts would cover.

multiculturalism/multinationalism...hmm sounds something like the skills someone would learn playing team sports.

Dropping arts and athletics so uninterested kids can be spoon fed a language that they don't care about? probably a less-than-smart call.

I remember my language class in high school. Took four years of it, mostly because the teacher was a really hot woman, and this was before I knew what a cougar was. That's pretty much all I remember...that's how useful it was to me.

Not to mention the fact that we're often viewed as the most ass backward culturally and physically challenged first world nation out there.

AJB37

ARTS or ATHLETICS?!?! I may be way off here, but it seems to me school ought to teach a person those classroom based subjects and expand the intellect and reasoning abilities of its students. To say that we should funnel funds from academic classes to support sports teams seems rather misguided. Most students will not play professional sports, but pretty much all of them will need algebraic reasoning, reading skills, and yes, foreign language skills.

Now, if this "every kid needs a second language" thing is headed to more "unfunded mandates" for our public schools (ala No Child Left Untested), I say we drop it like a hot rock. But there is a reason language education was a part of the classical curriculum: the lessons in logic, cultural awareness, bias, and the pure utility of the 2nd langauge are all highly beneficial in this "Flat World" of multiculturalism and multinational corporations.

"Any fool can know. The point is to understand." -Albert Einstein

That said, there is no reason why I should have to "Press 1 for english" when calling somewhere. . .

I was more speaking in terms of in addition to the programs we already have. Teaching every child Spanish will cost money, money that I feel would be better spent on arts and athletics programs. Not to mention, the arts can expand intellect and reasoning. As for athletics, not only can they build teamwork and leadership skills, but have you seen how obese kids are becoming.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I agree that it would be a good thing if Americans as a whole became more multi-lingual, but as stated above, why just Spanish? Obama and his use of stereotypes really gets to me, implying that all immigrants are Hispanic, and apparently those who exercise their 2nd amendment rights are suddenly bitter, and clinging to their guns.

It all just reeks of someone not ready to lead this country.

Just my 3 pennies.
I don't think he said just Spanish. If you get out of that paragraph that he means that all immigrants are Hispanic, you are reading way too much into it.
You need to make sure your child can speak Spanish. You should be thinking about how can your child become bilingual. We should have every child speaking more than one language.

Also, it looks like instead of discussing a policy you agree/disagree with (immigrants learning English, or bilingual Americans) you are making this a political thread with comments on Sen Obama's ability to lead this country, and the bitter comment. I have a high tolerance for political discussion, but understand this thread will be closed down if it continues on this route.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think you all are making a mountain out of molehill. Senator Obama also mentions German and French just a few sentences after Spanish, I think he was using Spanish as an example since it is the predominant foreign language here in the US.

As for the assertions that immigrants don't have to learn English, that may be the case for some. But if you want to get any type of job beyond menial labor, participate in any meaningful way in government, or just have any type of real life outside of a limited immigrant community, then you gotta learn English. Simple fact of life here.

And some of you ought to look at history a little closer, Spanish is not the first foreign language to gain prominence here. German was pretty prevalent across the Midwest at the turn of the century, so much so there were many German-language schools dotting that part of the country. It took WWI to end their prevalence.

gtg941f

pilot
I agree. Didn't the Irish, Jewish, Italian immigrants at the turn of the 20th century learn English within one generation, maybe two. I still have to press one for english and prensa dos para el español.

Oh life must be so difficult for you.

snake020

Contributor
We have immigrants from all over the globe in the United States, there is no reason that Spanish should become the other language taught in schools.

Are you seriously making this statement as someone who according to your profile lives in San Diego?

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I blame the forefathers for not having the foreight or fortitude to go down on mexico (pun intended) when we had that whole manifest destiny thing goin' on.

snake020

Contributor
I blame the forefathers for not having the foreight or fortitude to go down on mexico (pun intended) when we had that whole manifest destiny thing goin' on.

I suppose we should have gone on to South America too so everyone between the Atlantic and Pacific would be united in the English language. I'd sign up for that expedition.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wake the fvck up. It's 2008. I'm no Obama-ite, but speaking Spanish is not hard and gives you an incredible leg-up in the job search.

Pre-emptive disclaimer: no one is going to change my mind, so retort/respond/flame all you want. I've been on both sides of the fence, in depth, and communication skills are highly valued in the real world. Jump onboard and prepare your children for globalization or get ready to watch them be passed over by flexible people who view the world sans myopia.

I think you all are making a mountain out of molehill. Senator Obama also mentions German and French just a few sentences after Spanish, I think he was using Spanish as an example since it is the predominant foreign language here in the US.

As for the assertions that immigrants don't have to learn English, that may be the case for some. But if you want to get any type of job beyond menial labor, participate in any meaningful way in government, or just have any type of real life outside of a limited immigrant community, then you gotta learn English. Simple fact of life here.

And some of you ought to look at history a little closer, Spanish is not the first foreign language to gain prominence here. German was pretty prevalent across the Midwest at the turn of the century, so much so there were many German-language schools dotting that part of the country. It took WWI to end their prevalence.

Dass stimmt!

But seriously, they need to learn English. I'd be fine learning Spanish, not that I will. It'd be useful and all. I'm sorry, it doesn't matter where you're from, it's not your prerogative to retain your language when immigrating.

SkywardET

Contrarian
I have no problem with Obama asking things of us. He's a Presidential Candidate, so he has every right to. Asking us to be bilingual is a bit much, however, because it's a new skill and requires a large investment of time. Other than the magnitude of the request, I dislike how he sounded when making it. I'm sorry for embarrassing him for only knowing common phrases in certain languages. I know how to say, "Where is it," "Thank you," and "Take me to sex," in Spanish, French, and Mandarin, respectively. Realistically, that's all I need to know when I visit those areas.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wake the fvck up. It's 2008. I'm no Obama-ite, but speaking Spanish is not hard and gives you an incredible leg-up in the job search.

Pre-emptive disclaimer: no one is going to change my mind, so retort/respond/flame all you want. I've been on both sides of the fence, in depth, and communication skills are highly valued in the real world. Jump onboard and prepare your children for globalization or get ready to watch them be passed over by flexible people who view the world sans myopia.

+1

Brett

fusu

Fun Fact:

There are four sections on the Chinese gaokao (college prep exam--kind of like the SAT on crack): math, reading, English and your intended major. That means that every Chinese college student speaks passable English.

For all those that want to compete in the 21st century, its time to hit the books.

What gets me about Sen. Obama's comments is that most decent American schools already offer pretty good programs for Spanish, French, German etc...we really need to step up efforts in languages that are harder to learn but really important in a globalized society. How about Urdu, Russian, Korean and so on? We have to build educational structures for these evermore critical languages from the ground up.

(I'm writing this post in the middle of nowhere northern China on a state dept fellowship to study Mandarin. Its called the State Dept. Critical Language Scholarship. Its all expenses paid and provides funding for other languages as well. College folk on this site interested in it should google it or PM me).

Status
Not open for further replies.