• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS OAR expiration? Intel competitiveness?

Navy10524

Good afternoon, I did some searching and didn't find a clear answer.

Does an OAR ever expire? I took it in April of 2011 and am curious if that would still be valid.

On a second note, would it be even worth it for me to apply for Intel?

I am 36, currently active duty EMN1 (SS). My 11 year point is in this year.
Undergrad is Computer Science with about 2.8 GPA. Grad is MS in System Engineering with 4.0 GPA
OAR was 64 with ASTB 8/8/8
Completed PPME, JPME, Board member FCPOA, LPO at sea currently. Last Eval MP (first at command), previous was periodic EP with breakout.

Don't yet have interviews or LORs, but could pursue those.

Thanks for the help!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Does an OAR ever expire? I took it in April of 2011 and am curious if that would still be valid.

Undergrad is Computer Science with about 2.8 GPA. Grad is MS in System Engineering with 4.0 GPA
Completed PPME, JPME, Board member FCPOA, LPO at sea currently. Last Eval MP (first at command), previous was periodic EP with breakout.

Thanks for the help!

There are threads here on AWs as well as the ASTB actual site which can field your ASTB/OAR and Intel program questions respectively.

Navy10524

Thanks for the response. I finally found the ASTB answer. From what I gather it is valid until I take another one.

Second, found the competitiveness thread.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
@Navy10524 not sure if you are already too old or not for OCS as an 1830, but if your circumstances change and you no longer want to be an active duty sailor, you are probably very competitive for 1835 reserve intel.

Once you start getting toward 13, 14, 15+ years of enlisted sevice, though, I think the IWC DCO board looks at you a bit differently, and wonders how many years they’ll get out of you if you’re selected.

j2009

Thanks for the help!

Intel remains highly competitive for OCS (about 10% selection). It's sometimes easier to lat transfer into it from SWO or Aviation attrition. Why do you want to be an 1830? It's not as exciting as you think - mostly a computer-cubicle type of job. When I was a Missile Tech I knew a radioman that applied for Intel OCS 11 times and was accepted the 12th time for his #3 option - SWO. As an 1830, I can say the lifestyle & job location options are far better than when I was on subs, but it's certainly not an exciting job - although an interesting one.