• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oakley's military deal

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Anyone know anything about Oakley's offering great deals to military folks for glasses? I've heard folks talk about it, but no one seems to know a phone number of web address for this deal?

arbor

I'm your huckleberry.
pilot
http://usstandardissue.com/

Oakley Government Sales
PO Box 3190
La Jolla, CA 92038

Phone: 800-525-4334 or 858-459-4245
Fax: 858-459-4336
Sales@usstandardissue.com

Their selection is limited to pretty much what their idea is of mission-oriented items, i.e. the basics. Don't go in there expecting 50% off on a nice set of those sunglasses with the MP3 player in them.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did the gov't order thing... extremely satisfied. To get exactly what I wanted I had to combine discount frames with retail lenses, but it was worth it.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
To chime in on this thread (and the couple others that have been here over the years)... Well, I went ahead and put in a order with Oakely, and I have to say that I am pleased with the product and the cost savings. I am 20/25 and went the RX route, no problems at all, and the RX sunglasses are of course ALOT better than the navy issue.

I ended up getting three pairs of glasses, one non RX sunglasses for wear with contacts ($70), one RX sunglasses ($170 total cost for frames plus lenses) and finally a clear RX pair ($170 total cost).

A lot cheaper than out in town, and better quality. Also, it appears that their list of what's available is better than what was stated in the threads. I wanted a specific clear RX frame, and it was on the new list they had.

Anyways, a big thumbs up, and I appreciate everyone posting this link over the years. Glad I finally got my act together and ordered them.

John

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
How was the ordering process? Did you have to go through any painful means to prove that you're in the military?

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
How was the ordering process? Did you have to go through any painful means to prove that you're in the military?

The most 'painful' part is simply submitting a copy of your DOD ID. Apparently the membership has to be renewed every year. The website without a login has about 1/5 the amount of stuff that is available once you register.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I downloaded the agreement, the RX order forms, and the regular order forms. I zeroxed my perscription and ID, filled out the paperwork, and faxed it to them. I did not set up an online account. I called them once to ask if a certain frame was available for RX, and for some prices to fill in on the order forms. Was pretty painless.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Squid put together an order awhile back and I got in on it. Got a set of gunmetal A-wires which rock. I have a narrow face and it's tough finding shades that don't make me look like a bug. These work great and I can wear them in uniform without fear of catching grief. I know I'm probably shirking on my sworn aviator duty to wear the most obnoxious shades possible, but oh well.

East

东部
Contributor
Blues choice

Oakley Gunmetal Grey's...

Attachments

• elcentroweek_170.jpg
    elcentroweek_170.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 430

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot