• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Oakley Military and Government Sales

H60Gunner

Contributor
I ordered a pair of the SI Fives Squared Matte Black Frame / Grey Polarized Lens. They were 70 bucks.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
If a pair of Fives were $115 or $90, they were probably polarized. The regular Fives are $40 on USSI and the polarized are $65.

Sorry, my mistake. The 115 dollar set was polarized, the set for 90 was not. My original fives are unpolarized and ran me 75 bucks at the outlets in San Antonio. I'm surprised they've lasted this long. Replacement lenses are all I really need, and they only run 20 bones. I'll probably get another full set, and two sets of replacements.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Having an issue w/ my prescription sunglasses and thought I'd see if anyone else has had this issue...

I have a fairly weak prescription, but one eye is .5 off of the other on the correction. As a result, the right lens is thicker than the left lens which of course means there's more sunglass material blocking the light. I figured Oakley, being in the business for a while, would account for this, but apparently not. The result is that if feels like my right eye "sees" less (hard to explain) because there's less light hitting the eye. In short, it messes up my vision in an annoying way.

I called SSI and they said there's nothing they can do about it, optically, but supposedly the polarized lenses help with this. They're doing me right and letting me get a new set polarized for just the difference in price of the lens, but I thought I'd see:

a) anyone had this problem before w/ their glasses (Oakley or not)? I don't have this issue w/ my Navy issue sunglasses (which I really only use flying on the civilian side).

b) can anyone backup the claim that polarizing the lens will help this problem? I'm not a fan of polarized lenses just because of electronic displays, but if it fixes the problem, it's worth it for a good pair of glasses.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I believe that the polarizing filters are on the surface of the glass as opposed to being inherent to it. That would probably make the difference.

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
Any prices on that web site?

I'm the kinda guy that when I find a style and model I like, I stick with them. the glasses literally are 50% of what you would pay at sunglass hut. I don't know about the back packs, boots, and other items they list. I don't look that often. But for the sunglasses, all 50% of the commercial price. you are binding into an agreement of course that you won't sell them for profit and it is a stiff, federal penalty if you do, so on and so forth. You are also limited to the lense types you can buy as they are ANSI ballistic standard, and also, polarity is an issue. I'm suprised that this is a new find for anyone. I've been using this site for years. I usually try to stick to the free RFI stuff, but when it gets stretched thin, or they issue us some fuglies instead of oakleys, then I place an order.

usstandardissue.com

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Does anyone have experience ordering prescription frames with the clear lenses? I'm thinking of ordering a pair of the Volts as a replacement for my cheap lenscrafters ones, but I was wondering if the clear lenses they put in are the same as the ones you'd get at lenscrafters or pearle vision or something. Are they a thicker, safety style lens, or just a regular, for glasses lens? Also, I have all my Rx's, but don't know my pupillary distance, anyone know how I find that out?

Clux4

Banned
Does anyone have experience ordering prescription frames with the clear lenses? I'm thinking of ordering a pair of the Volts as a replacement for my cheap lenscrafters ones, but I was wondering if the clear lenses they put in are the same as the ones you'd get at lenscrafters or pearle vision or something. Are they a thicker, safety style lens, or just a regular, for glasses lens? Also, I have all my Rx's, but don't know my pupillary distance, anyone know how I find that out?

Go back to medical and ask for your measurements. They will be glad to give you. I have a prescription Oakley's from a while back and I thought the lens sturdy. I do not shop at Lenscraft but the lens is comparable to the ones I got issued.
I am still looking into the possibility of a transition lens with them. The one I have is just clear.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I have bought from them and will buy again if I want another pair. Great prices and great glasses although selection is rather limited. I had to go out and buy these bad boys in the stores:
o_oilrig_whtextgry_08.jpg

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
FYI, that standard issue website is even cheaper than using the official purchase channels in the Navy. Good info to have if your command is thinking about making a buy.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
I know this thread was just resurrected, but for what it is worth I bought the Oakley SI boots from the USSI website. They are way different from the PX (NEX?) models and I still wear mine daily. Wearing them for about 18 months in OEF and walking miles everyday, on patrol and off, the only issue I had was at about month 12 the eyelets got a little sharp and cut my laces. No tread breakage (but Vibram and can be resoled), no suede cracking, the stitching around the sole is still very much intact, and the vents haven't broken off. Lots of arch support but I needed to order about a half size big in my case. The caveat to that is that if you do order the wrong size on deployment someone will gladly buy them off of you. Another note, at about month 24 I noticed that there wasn't much arch support left but that was a year ago and I still have yet to try a new insert. It isn't broke so I'm not messing with it, that is how much I like them. Those boots might have more miles on them than the tires on my car.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I caved in and got the SI gloves from the site. They were a steal for what you would normally pay.