• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

O-4/DH Selection vs 2FOS

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t there a milpersman concerning officer resignations that says as long as you’ve served 12 months on a conus based shore tour, you can resign so long as you’ve fulfilled your msr? I’m sure it’s dependent on your boat’s manning, but my community has had several dudes bail 8-10 months shy of completing the full 24 month boat tour

xmid

pilot
Contributor
The one caveat that the Navy doesn't always tell you is that if you retire from the reserves you have to pay back your severance pay if you collected it when you FOSx2.

That was a factor for me to get out and resign prior to FOSx2 because I knew I wanted to continue in the reseves and make it to 20 there.

Or you could invest the severance, hit reserve retirement in 10 or more years, pay it back, and keep the interest.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Just curious, not there yet,

Can someone please explain to me what the timeline looks like towards the end of your initial contract. Right now I'm looking at a 24-36 month Shore Tour followed by a 12-24 month Disassociated Sea Tour currently at the 4 year mark on the contract.

Questions to direct conversation:
-Where do the board (O-4 and ADHSB) looks fit in timeline wise?
-When at the latest would you 2FOS and then when would you be released from service? Mostly concerned with, coming from this angle, do you have to essentially serve more time to get to the point of 2FOS and subsequent severance pay?

Bonus Question:
-If you make O-4 are you guaranteed 20 or are there situations where the navy simply lets you go at 14-16yos? If you don't make commander you can attempt the Full Time Instructor route as an O-4. Where does that fit in with the board/career timing?

Again, not there yet. Keeping options open and pushing for O-4 until it comes time to make the decision. Just trying to figure out when that time is.

(Warning, all this is very Helo specific, kind of long, and meandering)

There's a lot of moving pieces to what you're talking about. For LCDR, somewhere in your shore tour you need to start looking at the zone messages for boards. The "Bubba List" is also a tool the Helicopter detailers put out to front offices that has all the Helo pilots on it based off lineal number and projected board zones. You can ask your CO/XO to see it, and if they don't have it, they should be able to ask the detailer for it. It isn't set in stone until the official Big Navy zone message comes out saying "people from this number to this number" are eligible for the LCDR statutory board. In the message it's phrased as Junior and Senior Most In Zone. You can then plot your lineal number (see your Officer Service Record on BOL) to see if you're in that range. You get a "freebie" Below Zone look, then your In Zone, then Above Zone. If you Fail to Select (FOS) both your In and Above Zone looks, you will be a "FOSx2" or "Two Time FOS" and separated from the Navy, with exceptions (Continuation or Sanctuary).

Specifics are in the MILPERSMAN, but after FOSx2, the separation detailer now owns you and you have to get out in six months. Continuation as a LT is now possible, it's a newer thing, details here: https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/officercontinuation/Pages/default.aspx . You can decline continuation and still get the severance. Last I checked it was on the order of 75-80k, 10% of 12xmonthly base pay per year of service. Average LT getting kicked out is 11ish years. Life as a continued LT would probably consist of the same garbage jobs a non-DH select LCDR gets. Sea staff or ships company, then shore duty something. A few random flying gigs like station SAR and C-12s in there, but VERY small numbers.

Most folks will hit their In Zone O-4 board shortly after rolling back to their disassociated sea tour. The detailers will try to not write shore orders that don't let you get your high water FITREP before the In Zone look. Some people have odd-ball timing in their shore tour for various reasons, if you're in that situation, you need to communicate with your front office so they know. That might involve an early FITREP and roll to back sea duty. If, for various reasons, you get shore orders with <= 11 months from your PRD to MSR, you can elect to stay on shore duty and separate form there. 12 or more, you are obligated to take sea duty orders. The detailers are smart people and usually make sure people have enough time on their contracts to obligate them to sea duty, which people generally don't want to do and a lot of people leave before completing due to DH select, resignation, or forced separation.

O-4 statutory boards are in May, results come out in the Fall around September (used to be earlier in summer). If you screen for LCDR, you're eligible for the following spring's Aviation Department Head board. Successful screen for Operational DH will get your orders cut to go back to the FRS, or, if still current (i.e. you were a Super JO/CAG Staff with a current NATOPS check), straight to a squadron. Nonscreen you're first DH board, you wait another year and get looked at for OP-T DH (CNATRA squadrons, TACRON, some other stuff). You may get "stashed" somewhere if you've completed your 24month sea duty and are waiting on a board to happen, but I've heard of people being retained on the boat for "needs of the Navy". Worst case, you could theoretically FOSx1 for LCDR, picked up on above zone look, non select for OP DH, select for OP-T, and spend 4ish years in limbo. I've met one of those unicorns.

With your "bonus question", generally if you make LCDR but not DH, the Navy will hang on to you. Even if you fail to select for CDR, which you most definitely will without a OP DH FITREP, the Navy needs mid level officer bodies and has a policy of keeping them via Continuation. Full Time Instructor is a new thing and there's no telling it will still be a program in the ~9 years it takes you finish a production shore tour, sea tour, and department head tour. Also, if you took the Department Head Bonus after making LCDR, but fail to make DH, you still are under the contract and cannot resign. Expect sea/shore rotations until retirement, like talked about above.

In general, you need to take a hard, honest look at how strong your record is and what you want to do with your career as you approach your shore tour and beyond. This may sound pessimistic, but for every 3-4 helo junior officers we make, 1 makes DH and those are the people you work for in the fleet. Are you a hot runner with a top EP going to the FRS/WWS, lower EP going to CNATRA, or MP going to non-production? It's all well and good to say "The Navy is a good paycheck and retirement at 20 is lucrative, worst case I get paid well and get that sweet severance money at the end". That's kind of short sighted. You can't support a family on an O-4 retirement alone, there's going to be another career, and this job takes a toll on family life. Can you look your significant other in the face and ask them to move three more times for a known dead end career? Maybe you love this life, redesigination is in your future, oddball fun overseas shore duty, etc, but a lot is "LCDR Staff/Office Job in Norfolk/San Diego"

I'm a serious skeptic of people today (Post 2014 "O4 Bloodbath") who say they "need" that severance money to start somewhere else. I won't presume to know everyone's financial situation, but if you know your record is average you probably are working an exit plan. On your shore tour; pay off debt, save some money, don't buy a BMW and a minivan, minimize commitments going to sea duty, submit your resignation and start the next part of your life on your terms instead of selling 18 months of it on another ships company deployment waiting to get FOSed a second time. There's nothing wrong with serving honorably for 10-11 years and choosing to go your own way. And what happens if your record is just good enough to get picked up that second look, what then? They called your bluff.

BleedGreen

pilot
(Warning, all this is very Helo specific, kind of long, and meandering)
...If, for various reasons, you get shore orders with <= 11 months from your PRD to MSR, you can elect to stay on shore duty and separate form there. 12 or more, you are obligated to take sea duty orders. The detailers are smart people and usually make sure people have enough time on their contracts to...

I'm in this unique situation and am curious how this conversation usually pans out with the detailer or front office.

I have orders for my shore tour that take me right to 11 months until MSR and would like to extend where I'm at until my contract expires.
From what I understand, orders are negotiated as early as a year before you rotate. So if I'm showing my cards one year from PRD, two from MSR, should I expect an early rotate for one of those highly sought after boat tours?
I understand every situation is different I'm just trying to gauge how strong that PRD holds for people with this type of timing.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You don't have to start negotiating for orders right at 12 months out. I don't know your leadership, but all else being equal, most COs would rather hold on to an individual that's doing good work rather than work against them just so the Navy can squeeze another 12 months of sea duty out of them. Recommend that you talk with your CO and let them know you'd like to extend. That may come with FITREP ranking consequences, but if you're getting out, that shouldn't matter to you.

BleedGreen

pilot
You don't have to start negotiating for orders right at 12 months out. I don't know your leadership, but all else being equal, most COs would rather hold on to an individual that's doing good work rather than work against them just so the Navy can squeeze another 12 months of sea duty out of them. Recommend that you talk with your CO and let them know you'd like to extend. That may come with FITREP ranking consequences, but if you're getting out, that shouldn't matter to you.
Thanks Brett. That makes sense and I'd be happy to take a hit on my ranking if that helps someone else get a set of orders they want.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

This is typically how I would see it go down when I would work with JOs in your situation, assuming they had a good reputation in the squadron. If you try this and the Navy says no, the next option is to try and get orders to 32nd street or the carrier, then you should be able to drop your letter when you hit 12 months out from MSR.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I'm in this unique situation and am curious how this conversation usually pans out with the detailer or front office.

I have orders for my shore tour that take me right to 11 months until MSR and would like to extend where I'm at until my contract expires.
From what I understand, orders are negotiated as early as a year before you rotate. So if I'm showing my cards one year from PRD, two from MSR, should I expect an early rotate for one of those highly sought after boat tours?
I understand every situation is different I'm just trying to gauge how strong that PRD holds for people with this type of timing.

What Brett said. You need to talk to your front office about it, but most will back that play to help out a JO who is clear about their choice. As stated, expect to stagnate fitrep wise. I’m unsure of the specific correspondence, but I think an email from your front office or worst case a CO endorsed letter. Just double check the dates. Winging MSRs are last day of the month you winged. Saw a friend who thought he was 11 by the day, not month, and got burned.

FinkUFreaky

pilot

Did this myself recently. Yes, talk to your front office and make your intentions clear. I did so about 18 months out from PRD; they told me to contact the detailer 12 months out. Admin genned up a paper signed by me requesting to extend PRD to MSR, a paper signed by CO recommending the same, and when I sent them to my detailer, he wanted a specific form filled out (NAVPERS 1301/85, can be found here: https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/Detailing/aviation/detailers/Pages/VAWVRC.aspx ) which also needs CO signature. A few weeks later I got an email stating that the extension was approved, with some (likely standard) verbiage that should unforeseen needs arise, they can un-extend me.

BleedGreen

pilot
What Brett said. You need to talk to your front office about it, but most will back that play to help out a JO who is clear about their choice. As stated, expect to stagnate fitrep wise. I’m unsure of the specific correspondence, but I think an email from your front office or worst case a CO endorsed letter. Just double check the dates. Winging MSRs are last day of the month you winged. Saw a friend who thought he was 11 by the day, not month, and got burned.
Ouch.
Did this myself recently. Yes, talk to your front office and make your intentions clear. I did so about 18 months out from PRD; they told me to contact the detailer 12 months out. Admin genned up a paper signed by me requesting to extend PRD to MSR, a paper signed by CO recommending the same, and when I sent them to my detailer, he wanted a specific form filled out (NAVPERS 1301/85, can be found here: https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/Detailing/aviation/detailers/Pages/VAWVRC.aspx ) which also needs CO signature. A few weeks later I got an email stating that the extension was approved, with some (likely standard) verbiage that should unforeseen needs arise, they can un-extend me.
Awesome. I'm glad that worked out for you, I'm hoping for the same luck with my detailer and front office.

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
The one caveat that the Navy doesn't always tell you is that if you retire from the reserves you have to pay back your severance pay if you collected it when you FOSx2.

That was a factor for me to get out and resign prior to FOSx2 because I knew I wanted to continue in the reseves and make it to 20 there.

So, a quick clarification on the paying back severance pay if you retire from the reserves as a SELRES statement. The Navy will recoup your severance pay when retirement begins at age 60. They will withhold 40% of your gross retirement pay (pre-tax) monthly until the gross amount of your severance pay is repaid. The Navy doesn't charge you interest on the outstanding severance pay balance while waiting for you to retire. So, the amount you owe the Navy loses value overtime due to inflation and the yearly pay raises we all get that your final retirement check will be based off. If I did my math right, it will take about 5 years to repay my $80k severance if I retire as an O4 doing the minimum reserve commitments after 20 creditable years and we got 1% annual pay raises. If I make O5 that drops to about 4 years. Of course, if you do more than the minimum in the reserves, your retirement increases and that payback period drops accordingly.

My point of view if you go into the reserves after FOSx2, the Navy gives you a negative interest loan to repay about 30 years later to start your new life as a civilian. Not a bad deal...

I FOSx2 in 2017 and I am now a SELRES who will retire when the time is right. I did a LOT of research on this since I knew this was a path I would be going down. PM with questions.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Anyone know anyone who has done continuation? Seems like it was a big deal and well publicized for the Marines but a fairly not-talked-about topic in the Navy.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Ouch.

Awesome. I'm glad that worked out for you, I'm hoping for the same luck with my detailer and front office.
My understanding is that as long as your front office is decent, and as long as you got to your shore tour before they started cutting orders guaranteeing a disassociated, you'll be fine. I don't know exactly when the orders started getting F'ed with, but somewhere around 1.5 years ago? Best of luck