• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NWA and DELTA

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
plc67 said:
I apologize. I thought flying for one for over 2o years constituted a form of research.

Why, I guess you thought wrong. :eek:

I'm sure he'll accept your apology. But only if you are sufficiently contrite. And if you MEAN it ... I suppose he flies 'da Bus. A FROG-jet. :) And out of Melvis, to boot ...

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
The tone implied different.. Sorry not mean't as a bash... :( But Cargo is doing very good in this industry... Now the passengers; that is a whole other conversation... I wouldn't go there if unless can help it..

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
RetreadRand said:
There are a few men wanting to make big dollars, and they don't care how anyone else in the world is affected by that....

Those damn captialists. If their not trying to make money, they're tying to make their stock prices go up. That only helps the stockholders, who we all know are greedy, soul-less, billionaires.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I guess it all depends on what you consider "screwing employees over". If getting rid of employees that are adding value to your product is what you mean by that, then I'd agree. If they're not adding value, then they have to go. If they're not adding value proportionate to what they are taking in costs to the company, then they have to be reduced (either in numbers or salary) to strike a balance.

plc67

pilot
If you would like a good read on one man's analysis of the pre 911 airline anarchy I suggest "Hard Landing" by Thomas Petzinger. Retread would enjoy the read and if Harrier Dude has made field grade I think it's out in audio.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Don't be suprised if you hear more "rumors" about a DELTA-NWA merger. No one can say anything for sure --- but the airline financial sector is once again buzzing about this "perfect merge". And there's plenty of $$$$ available, in spite of the poor-mouthing by airline managements.

Look at their routes of DAL and NWA--- especially the overseas routes, wherin lies the potential value and which are hard to get. Messy treaties and all ..... Where one is weak, the other is strong --- and vice versa.

They DID file Chapter 11 on the same day. Coincidence, I'm sure ... :) It happens all the time. Not like anyone picked up the phone or anything ....

A merger was actively pursued by these two airlines in '83 and it almost happened. It came within $.75 on the (then) price of a share of stock --- but the deal fell apart at the 11th hour. The deal killer was essentially which "management team" was going to be the survivor -- be in the driver's seat.

It could/would have been the proverbial 800-lb gorilla of the airline industry foreign or domestic. And it wasn't even about money and the price of a share of stock. It was all about the size of one management's "ego" (sp?:) )when measured against the other's ... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
I guess it all depends on what you consider "screwing employees over". .....If they're not adding value proportionate to what they are taking in costs to the company, then they have to be reduced....
Hmmmm ... "not adding value proportionate ... "??

You mean ... like most of the people in the military??? :)

You mean ... like most of the drones "working" for the government??? :)

*Sigh* ... back to Airline 101 for you .... and here I had such high hopes ....
:sleep_125

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
That would be one huge freakin airline!! If I remember correctly Delta is #1 in the world and Northwest is #3 (Or was American #1?). Either way that would be one big airline!:eek:

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
A4sForever said:
Hmmmm ... "not adding value proportionate ... "??

You mean ... like most of the people in the military??? :)

You mean ... like most of the drones "working" for the government??? :)

*Sigh* ... back to Airline 101 for you .... and here I had such high hopes ....
:sleep_125

I was expecting something like this (actually, a flame-spraying). What do the unions think about each other with respect to value added? When people ask me why airline pilots make so much money, I always ask them who they want flying the jet they're in. A kid out of hight school, or a professional? Same thing for mechanics. I want the best. The same could be said for doctors, etc. To get the best there is, you need to pay market prices to provide incentive to get the best there is.

What about flight attendants and baggage handlers? Do I really care about their professional credentials? No. Should I? I don't know. You tell me. Are they adding value in proportion to what they make?

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, and I'm sure you'll ask the same about the CEO/CFO, etc. I'm ready for Airline 101 if you're teaching it. I've got 6 years to learn.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
All employees are in the same union? I keep hearing about the flight attendants union, mechanics union, etc.etc...

Is that just bad gouge, or is it peculiar to just your airline? I've always wondered about this stuff. I'm a fairly anti-union conservative libertarian, but I know that if I want to fly for a living after the military I'll have little choice but to join a union. True?

What do you guys think of unions in general? I feel like I'm headed for a collision with hypocrisy.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Boom Boom said:
.... Union.. APLA(sic) ... no word of this on the website... Merger that is.. :confused:
It's being "rumored" in the financial community, like I stated. Like you think the Union is going to have much say about it??? In Chapter 11?? They had NOTHING to say about it in 1983. The Union is just along for the ride these days. But which Union website would that be, in any case??? :icon_lol: :)

The "APLA" (sic) Union web site, you say ??? What's that: The Airline Pilots' Libation Association, perchance ???

Perhaps you're familiar with ALPA ?? I.e., The Airline Pilots Association ?? Perhaps not, as ALPA spell-checks as "ALPO" ... a well known dog food. Irony. :)

You see boys ... that's what happens when you fly a FROG-Jet and live and breathe in and around Melvis, TN. You become nuthin' but a hound dog. Love me tender, love me true .... but friends don't let friends do that .... in the ghetto.

elvis-portrait3sm.jpg

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
A-4s--You knew what I mean't... And I don't fly the Bus... I fly an antique.. For now... Unions are just necessary evils... Goods and bads.. :)