• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NSS?????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredster809

What does NSS stand for, how is it calculated, and when in flight school do they start calculating it? I am selected NFO going to OCS in July04. I am enlisted and work with a lot of JO's who have P-3 Academy and ROTC buddies. I served on a carrier for 4 years and did 2 Westpacs, I plan on trying to get P-3's. I will try as hard a spossible the whole way through, ut am just curious when I need to stress about my grades.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Navy Standardized Score (or standardization?)....some "super secret" formula, that no human could hope to understand....and API. Some say your NSS from API doesn't count, others do, so that's where I would buckle down (besides, that is where you'll develop your study habits that'll serve to carry you through flight training).

Fredster809

Thanks, just what the world needs another super secret formula. ASTB Bio, and NSS, in Nuclear power we don't have any secret formulas, I guess I will have to get used to them................ wait I'm used to it.

unfUSN

Neither API, Primary academics nor CPT's count near as much as your grades for flying. At leasts thats what the instructors at Primary are telling me.

LTJG Payne

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your NSS changes from each phase. Your primary NSS is not the same as intermediate (if you're e2/c2) nor advanced. From what I have gathered, your NSS only serves two purposes. The first is for selection out of primary. The second is choosing the individual platform after advanced (for jets and helo guys). Will it ever matter after this? I haven't found anyone who thinks it would (including o-4's in cnatra). For those of you in API worrying about your NSS... it doesn't count toward anything in Primary. Remember, the trick is Eight-Oh and Go!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by kmac
Your NSS changes from each phase. Your primary NSS is not the same as intermediate (if you're e2/c2) nor advanced. From what I have gathered, your NSS only serves two purposes. The first is for selection out of primary. The second is choosing the individual platform after advanced (for jets and helo guys). Will it ever matter after this? I haven't found anyone who thinks it would (including o-4's in cnatra). For those of you in API worrying about your NSS... it doesn't count toward anything in Primary. Remember, the trick is Eight-Oh and Go!

Actually kmac, your NSS will follow you as an E2/C2 pilot. It can come into play during your selection for E2's or C2's, depending if your class can't decide for itself. Meaning if there are 2 C-2 slots and 4 guys want them, we will use your advanced NSS for selection. Usually the COD slots are very competitive and grades have determined the last couple of selections out of each class.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey bunk thanks for the heads up. I was told by some of the new guys in Norfolk that if you can't decide as a class, then it's just names in a hat. If it really is NSS, then I would have a much better chance at getting what I want (whatever that may be). Watch out for that Stu kid though...he's sierra hotel.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by kmac
Hey bunk thanks for the heads up. I was told by some of the new guys in Norfolk that if you can't decide as a class, then it's just names in a hat. If it really is NSS, then I would have a much better chance at getting what I want (whatever that may be). Watch out for that Stu kid though...he's sierra hotel.

It's up to the students if they want to draw names out of hat. That happened not to long ago and the females of the class just happened to select 2 of the 3 COD spots. Unfortunetly, a certain E2 squadron needed a female pilot so the of two, it again came down to grades.

By the way, I'm student control at VAW-120 (unless the CO fires me--I'm not his favorite) for right now so let me know if you have any question. Who's Stu?

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
The NSS doesnt start counting until after your C4004. Your first series of FAM's (Contact Flights) dont count, and neither do CPT's or API. Your NSS is calculated based on a comparison of how you score on flights compared to the previous few months of students. There is a formula in the Curriculum guide that you get in Primary which explains it. We also got a brief from the Officer here that is in charge of the program that calculates it, and up until you get your actual NSS for selection its not going to be firm because of how its calculated. Basically theres a bunch of averages and crazy **** involved.

beau

Sounds like the BCS of Naval Aviation for sure!! with SOS and everything........what are the Quailty Wins.....hmm....Aboves from a hard IP ........hahah!

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Bunk-
Can you explain what you meant about an E-2 squadron needing a female pilot? Why does it matter? Thanks

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by smittyrunr
Bunk-
Can you explain what you meant about an E-2 squadron needing a female pilot? Why does it matter? Thanks

The squadron had just gotten its first female enlisted folks and needed. A female pilot was then needed to fill a quota. It's not the first time it has happened (it's the third time that I know of). I assume it's done to have female representation at the officer level.

gunnerdd972

Hey Bunk,
I assume that you need a 50 NSS to get E2/C2, or do you? My buddys roommate got E2/C2 with a 47. Does the Needs Of the Navy card play a bigger hand over NSS if they need to fill spots? I am no Chuck Yeager, but I am no Forest Gump either. It seems that the SNA's in my SQD always get points taken away too. I still beleive that it is a roll of the chicken bones or reading tea leaves in figuring who gets what.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by gunnerdd972
Hey Bunk,
I assume that you need a 50 NSS to get E2/C2, or do you? My buddys roommate got E2/C2 with a 47. Does the Needs Of the Navy card play a bigger hand over NSS if they need to fill spots? I am no Chuck Yeager, but I am no Forest Gump either. It seems that the SNA's in my SQD always get points taken away too. I still beleive that it is a roll of the chicken bones or reading tea leaves in figuring who gets what.

The standard for E2/C2 is a 50 NSS but the Navy's needs will override that. A 47 is the lowest I've heard of for an E2/C2 guy but I've seen guys with 48 get both E2's and jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.