• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NSS Yet Again

GMan1976

Banned
ok ok, I know this has been beat to death... but I can't seem to find a DEFINITE answer. So here it is. The be all end all NSS question for AW.

Does the official NSS "for selection" start on:
a) I2001 (BI sim 1)
b) I2004 (BI sim 4)
c) I2101 (BI sim 5)
d) I4001 (BI flight 1)
e) C4101 (FAM 5)

We all know it's one of these... but which?

arbor

I'm your huckleberry.
pilot
Just look at it this way: your CPT's and first 4 FAM flights (C2001-2005, C4001-4004) are the only ungraded "flights" in the syllabus.

DaRevrend

USAF T-34 Stud
Fiance is in town and this is what you are worrying about? It must take a lot longer to reload as the years pile on. I keed, I keed.

BIs count, so good luck finishing up on them. I wouldn't worry too much about the grades from the old dudes in sim land as I'm told they are more or less a wash in the end for BIs since everyone pretty much gives away 4s throughout. If you can rock out multiple fives per event and stay three free then you might start pulling ahead a bit.

Now, get back to your woman and stop worrying about the damn grades. Catch you at yet another exciting safety stand down tomorrow.

Rev

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Fiance is in town and this is what you are worrying about? It must take a lot longer to reload as the years pile on. I keed, I keed.

BIs count, so good luck finishing up on them. I wouldn't worry too much about the grades from the old dudes in sim land as I'm told they are more or less a wash in the end for BIs since everyone pretty much gives away 4s throughout. If you can rock out multiple fives per event and stay three free then you might start pulling ahead a bit.

Now, get back to your woman and stop worrying about the damn grades. Catch you at yet another exciting safety stand down tomorrow.

Rev

What are you talking about? I know of only a few of the sim guys who were good for 4's...they reward good work, if your flight sucks they won't just through 4's at you...5's are VERY hard to get in the early BIs (particularly at NASWF)...Just my experience at that of everyone in my class...

If you get a lot of 4's its because the standards at that point are low...they will go up...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^Ditto ... if you fly the sh!t outta' the bird/sim EVERY time ... then you won't have to worry about it ....

BELIEVE IT ... I know. :)

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
I'll say this... it was interesting that in S/F Advanced, we got a "freebie" at the beginning of every stage. Some guys walked into that just hoping their instructors would talk them through everything... others came in ready to do some killing.

Guess who did best in the syllabus??

Treat every flight like it's your FPC, and you'll be fine :)

GMan1976

Banned
I'm actually nailing 5s and 4s across the board... so yeah, thanks, I'm not too worried about that. Just wanted to get the official word out for everyone who always asks. It's nice to know that hard work pays off in the BI sim stage. I think it's funny that it's always the guys who are already in or (have-been) jets that say "hey man, don't worry about it, blah blah blah". you guys crack me up.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Mefesto said:
.....And RI's are where Jet guys get Jet grades...
Then .... nothing has changed too much .... instruments --- B/I and certainly R/I was where you made it or lost it --- for jets and anything else.

There were so many hops in the two stages and they came early in the game --- it was hard to appreciably change the overall GPA (or whatever you call it today :)) unless you were really, really bad --- or really, really good. ;)

Huh .... what a surprise.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm not disagreeing w/ you, A4s, just clarifying why it's the case now...

Doing well in Fams will definitely help you, as will Forms, but the reason why doing well in BIs and EARLY RIs is because MIF is so low. Once you start to get in the airplane, most of the grades start going up to a 4 and once you're in Intermediate RIs, everything but two approaches are 4s, so if you're good, you're "average," if you screw up, you're already behind the power curve.

If you're jet material, like Mefesto said, you're going to be doing your best anyway, so you have nothing to worry about and you'll alreadying be hitting the 5s here and there when you can.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm not disagreeing w/ you, A4s, just clarifying why it's the case now.......
Yeah, I know ... not to worry in any case. I always appreciate the illumination on "how it is today" ... :) ... makes me glad I did it when I "did it".

I still like simplicity of the days of yore. From Fam-1 @ NAS Saufley to CQ-11X on USS LEXINGTON, we had 3 grades:

4.0 = above average
3.0 = average
2.0 = below average

Of course, there was also the dreaded UNSAT; or DOWN ... I think it was a ZERO ... only one of which would hammer your overall GPA so badly that it would drop you from the top --- to the middle ... or from the middle --- to the end of the class .... :):eek:

By the time you were out of instruments, you had accumulated so many grades that your GPA (and therefore class standing) was basically a done deal. You had to really, really shine in formation, night flying, GUNS -- the gun pattern, and basic CQ to break out of the pack before going to Kingsville or Beeville.

CQ on USS LEXINGTON ... you better fly the BALL or ELSE !!! :eek:

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
If you're jet material, like Mefesto said, you're going to be doing your best anyway, so you have nothing to worry about and you'll alreadying be hitting the 5s here and there when you can.

Even those who don't want jets, or those who just don't have the particular skills for jets will be doing their best...sometimes your best isn't enough though...and even MPTS can be subjective and depend on who you get as an instructor...not to mention you may have a bad day...

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I think it's funny that it's always the guys who are already in or (have-been) jets that say "hey man, don't worry about it, blah blah blah". you guys crack me up.

Nope, I'm a helo bubba and I said I didn't care.

Maybe there's a correlation there....