• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NSS Facts

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Dude, you are totally nuking it! Sounds like you also want jets, since you keep worrying about the hard line. Just an FYI, a guy with a lower 50s NSS, will tend to struggle through the tailhook program. Very few make it and get to the F/A-18 FRS (Whatever model they get), some go E-2/C-2, some do not make it at all. But all they still struggle. The 50 NSS is there for a reason, to keep dudes from washing out and even then, they still do. (Disclaimer, this is from people I know and the trend that I have seen).

When you get to be a HAC (and even more so when you get to be an instructor) you'll figure out that a guy's NSS in primary is only sometimes indicative of his eventual potential in thee aircraft. At most, a 50+ NSS in primary just shows he picked up the basic aviation skills faster than the average student. You will see guys in advanced who "got it" later than their peers and go from a 30's/40's NSS in primary to 60+ in advanced. You will also see guys in all pipelines whose NSS drops across each stage regardless of what they select. You will even see people who were marginal completers all through the rag have the light come on in their first tour and become capable or even excellent aircraft and mission commanders.

The NSS cutoff exists because single seat aircraft don't have the luxury of that longer growth period. If we ever followed through on the NFO's in Romeos idea (causing helo nuggets to have to be able to get on and off the boat on their own) there would have to be a drastic change in the pipeline to match that reality.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
When you get to be a HAC (and even more so when you get to be an instructor) you'll figure out that a guy's NSS in primary is only sometimes indicative of his eventual potential in thee aircraft. At most, a 50+ NSS in primary just shows he picked up the basic aviation skills faster than the average student. You will see guys in advanced who "got it" later than their peers and go from a 30's/40's NSS in primary to 60+ in advanced. You will also see guys in all pipelines whose NSS drops across each stage regardless of what they select. You will even see people who were marginal completers all through the rag have the light come on in their first tour and become capable or even excellent aircraft and mission .

And for you current studs, this means no matter how SH you think you are, the instructor is still far better than you.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I still hear your voice yelling in my ear whenever I am 20' high at the abeam :)

The 50 NSS line often helps differentiate between the student who has an IP yelling at him about being 20' high as opposed to the one who is pointed the wrong way...

draad

There are no absolutes. Plenty of primary 60+ NSS wash out of jet school, and plenty 52's end up with 60+ in jet school. But there IS a statistical fact that the higher your NSS in primary the more likely you are to make it through jet school (or any advanced pipeline for that matter) but I think that chance is a lot less than most people think. As some have said, the 52 cuttoff is based more on supply and demand but don't completely ignore the success rate of higher NSS completers. After all, the USMC has a Harrier cutoff in jet school for that exact reason, not because of supply and demand (more people always want hornets than harriers).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There are no absolutes. Plenty of primary 60+ NSS wash out of jet school, and plenty 52's end up with 60+ in jet school. But there IS a statistical fact that the higher your NSS in primary the more likely you are to make it through jet school (or any advanced pipeline for that matter) but I think that chance is a lot less than most people think. As some have said, the 52 cuttoff is based more on supply and demand but don't completely ignore the success rate of higher NSS completers. After all, the USMC has a Harrier cutoff in jet school for that exact reason, not because of supply and demand (more people always want hornets than harriers).

Thanks for completely derailing a good Star Wars thread. Where are you getting your info? Historically, performance-based attrition is very low throughout flight school, and generally lower in Advanced than Primary. So how is that you've come to the conclusion that chances of making through jet school are lower than "some" think?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Thanks for completely derailing a good Star Wars thread. Where are you getting your info? Historically, performance-based attrition is very low throughout flight school, and generally lower in Advanced than Primary. So how is that you've come to the conclusion that chances of making through jet school are lower than "some" think?

Agreed. This thread has devolved into whining with subtle tones of dick measuring. I bet Luke would have never been chosen for the canyon run on the death star without having at least a 50 NSS. He scored a bullseye with his eyes closed!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Agreed. This thread has devolved into whining with subtle tones of dick measuring. I bet Luke would have never been chosen for the canyon run on the death star without having at least a 50 NSS. He scored a bullseye with his eyes closed!

He did use the force though... That's gotta count for something...

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot

But I'm pretty sure that was in violation of his NATOPS. Vader on the other hand clearly knew his EPs to have survived his plane/fighter being shot.

KBayDog

He did use the force though... That's gotta count for something...

Sorry, Luke was a cheater and should have been attrited. The Force was not part of his syllabus! He was supposed to use his wiz wheel to calculate when to fire, not the Force.

Luke is the type of guy that would use GPS to cheat on TBS land nav...