• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackMac

I am a junior in high school. I was thinking that NROTC would be a good option for me. My grades are not too good but I have two years to raise them up.

I was a little confused at the process I would apply. How would I go about doing it? Do I have to go to one of the schools listed on the Navy ROTC site? I will most likely go to a J.C. for two years first, si I would only be after a 2 year program. I'm not sure if I would apply for a school with ROTC, then gop for the scholorship, or if I get a ROTC scholorship and then go for a school with the program. Any help is great. Thanks.

May The Force Be With You

Tessone

I've done a lot of research on this in the last week or so, because I am thinking of transferring to a school with an NROTC unit.

You must go to a school on the Navy ROTC site in order to receive the scholarship, because you have to be part of an NROTC unit. You apply to NROTC and the college at the same time, and if you get accepted to both, you're set.

I don't see much sense in going to a junior college if you can get into NROTC, as the Navy will pay your tuition and stuff. However, if you don't get accepted to NROTC, there's always the chance to transfer and do the two year program.

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

jaznups

Hey!

I actually went through the process and got accepted for a NROTC scholarship. I decided to go to a non-ROTC university so I had to give up my scholarship.

BUT I can answer any questions you may have! Just shoot me an email jaz@dartmouth.edu
put ROTC or navy or something like that in the subject line so that I will know....

Hope I can help,

Jaz

JayManC

It's not necessarily true that you have to go to a school with ROTC, A gal I used to know (who is now flying Helo's out of North Island) went to Georgetown, (which doesn't have an on-campus NROTC program). She got a 4-year scholarship but had to trek across town to George Mason University for class and drill...FYI

I'm not sure what they call it but I could've sworn it was something like "cross-town" or something to that effect.

<insert something witty here:>

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's actually the name, Jay. The schools are called Crosstown universities.

jaznups

(Sorry for any confusion b4... the university I go to doesn't have a cross-town unit anywhere BELIEVE ME I LOOKED!!!)

Yea I have friend that did that but if you go to the navy's very re-VAMPED website... it should tell you!

https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/

(When I say revamped I mean there's actually a website specifically for rotc now :-P )

When I went through the process 2/3 years ago I had to sort of go fish and dig...
I'd like to welcome the Navy to the 21st century! :)

Jaz

There are two kinds of people that amaze me -- those that know absolutely everything and those that know absolutely nothing.

JackMac

I read on the Navy ROTC site that if you do a two year scholorship, you are commisioned as a Ensign in the Naval Reserve. Is this true? I would want to make Navy Officer my career, so is the two year plan out of the question?

May The Force Be With You

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't really understand your last comment there, JackMac, but to answer your basic question...no matter what your commissioning program (ROTC-2 or 4 year scholarship or college program, Academy, or OCS), you are commissioned w/ a reserve commission. You are still on active duty, just a different way the Navy does its accounting.

Tessone

JackMac, as gatordev said, everyone is commissioned into the USNR--no one gets a regular commission as they walk through the door. After a few years, you'll be able to augment (is it called something different in the Navy?) and become part of the regular Navy. Then you'll drop the "R" from your title and basically be able to serve until retirement.

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
REPOST:
In 1996 the NAVY went to reserve commissions for all commissioning sources. The reserve commission is a way the military can down-size without a large cost. During a drawdown, the first people let go are the reserve commissionees and the Navy doesn't have to pay them a dime. However us you are a regular commission, the Navy has to PAY you severence pay to let you go (equivalent to about a years pay). Reserve commissionees can AUGMENT after 4 years of service.
ea6bflyr [^]

Status
Not open for further replies.