• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC vs AFROTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BNole04

Hey guys. I was recently searching the internet for help on my dilemma and found this website. Although I can see that this is a mainly Navy website, I figured maybe I could get some unbiased advice.

I'm currently a senior in high school. Actually, I graduate in about two weeks. I will be attending Purdue University starting this fall for a degree in mechanical engineering. Throughout my four years of high school, I was part of the JROTC program (Marine Corps actually) and really enjoyed all of it (history, traits, tradition, etc). Now, I know that it is too late to apply for a scholarship this year but I plan on joining ROTC in college and applying for a 3yr scholarship. Now to my dilemma. Should I go NROTC or AFROTC? I visited Purdue and talked to the instructors at both. (By the way, I'll end up doing the Marine Corps option if I go Navy). Instructor wise, I liked the guys at the Naval program better although I did not meet everyone at each. But...the AF guy was telling me that they are ranked top 4 in the country for AFROTC programs which is pretty impressive I think. So, what do you guys think comparing the two? By the way, I hope to receive a flight spot at either one. I currently have my private pilot's license and hope to fly no matter what I do. Another thing the AF guy said was that about 70% of their applicants received a 3yr scholarship this year. So, which do you guys think is better for someone in my situation? Thanks for any help.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Buddy,

If youre going to Purdue, join NROTC!! I'm going to be a junior in the unit and I can honestly say its the best decision I've ever made. Our unit is real close knit, and if youre interested in being a Marine Option, our unit is very popular for that. I'd say we have about 40 Marine Option mids and they comprise a good portion of the battalion. You may have a tough time with the 3=year scholarship however. The most recent board didn't hand out any scholarships for the current (as of this school year) freshmen and sophomores. A few sophomores were offered advanced standing scholarships, but that was it. I'm not sure what AF's scholarship deal is. If youre a Navy option and get decent grades, participate etc..getting a scholarship isn't that tough.

We have some great instructors in our unit, real top notch guys that'll really help you out if you need it. As for the AF, I don't really know their real officers, my only perspective of them is from interacting with their students...I'm not their biggest fan. The concensous, at least from the Navy side, is that the AF unit is a bunch of tools, but that's just our opinion. They may say the same about us, but whatever. I'd just hate to lose a future Boilermaker to the AF. Hope that helps and that you make the right decision! PM me if you have and 'Due questions etc.

Nozeman

snizo

Supply Officer
Uhm ... so yea Nozeman is obvioulsy a little biased :D

So you know some of the benefits of NROTC up there. AFROTC will afford you some great opportunities. Whichever you go with -- just like whichever community you wind up with in the service -- you will have a blast, I'm sure.

AFROTC scholarships are weird. NROTC is pretty easy -- you get one, or you don't. It covers all tuition/fees (up to a certain amount -- Purdue is probably within that amt). AFROTC scholarships are a lot more .. complex. There are several types - some can be converted to other types and the only person who really knows what they all are is the General who created them. You will have to get with an AFROTC cadre to find out what is available to you.

Generally -- it is easier to get a scholarship in NROTC than AFROTC. BUT it is also easier to get an AFROTC scholarship than a Marine Corps NROTC scholarship.

It is weird that NROTC didn't award ANY scholarships to your people, Nozeman. All of our Mids who wanted scholarships got picked up for next year.

Anyway -- keep researching. Don't discount being a Navy option, either. We do some cool stuff. If you are looking to fly -- USMC currently is looking for pilots the most ... followed by the Navy and then Air Force.

BTW -- I'm sure the AFROTC unit up there thinks the same of NROTC as ya'll do of them, Nozeman!

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Snizo...I'm sure they do, but I won't lose sleep over it!

Obviously my bagging of the AF is biased, but like Snizo said, make sure you pick the group that best fits you.

Bredoteau

Go Cal
Just out of curiosity, out of the nrotc, afrotc, and nrotc MO programs, which do you think offers the highest likelihood of becoming a pilot. AF obviously has more spots for pilots, but it also has a lot more people joining up with the intention of taking those spots, too.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I would say the MO NROTC program offers the best shot, plus you can get a flt guarantee starting junior year. Regular NROTC is close behind. My knowledge of AFROTC is second-hand, but I understand they give a big preference to their academy when passing out pilot slots. AFROTC can get the shaft.

snizo

Supply Officer
USMC NROTC Mids have the best shot at being a pilot (right now). Second is NROTC. Finally -- AFROTC. At my school, about 5 of 8 AFROTC grads who wanted pilot got it. 6 of 6 NROTC grads who wanted pilot got it.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
AFROTC always had the hottest chicks at my school, could be your tiebreaker

rare21 said:
AFROTC always had the hottest chicks at my school, could be your tiebreaker

Must..resist...temptation...to make crack.

But seriously, it seems to be the general trend. I guess women would rather be in the Chair Force than be on a deployed ship full of horny sailors.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Yes, AF women are better looking. And easier, too. Ah, yes...to be back in API again... www.chair-force.com has some great examples, and is pretty funny, too. But, really, joing the military to meet chicks is like signing up for high school home ec. Yes, there are more women there, but have some self respect!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Since you're going to college, there should be hot chicks anyway, so why restrict yourself to the ROTC ones?

rare21

pilot
Contributor
yes stay well clear of ROTC girls it will only cause trouble later on. as far as the original question, at my college i didnt see much of the AFROTC. due to that, the differences were the uniform and when they did their PT tests on the track when we were there they played "motivational" music (Rocky theme, Top Gun theme). As far as that they were a mystery even though they did wear BDUs. Why? I have no idea.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as that they were a mystery even though they did wear BDUs. Why? I have no idea.

I liked it better when they wore flight suits, they looked so cool.

Yeah, but I bet there are a few Anthony Edwards' out there

Just because someone is going bald doesn't mean that they aren't sexy.

Status
Not open for further replies.