• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC to API for NFO

NavyNukeNFO

FY09 NFO Selectee...turned FY12 CHOP
I am graduating in May 2011. I have heard that Mids are going IRR and that possibly the OC's from STA21 are going straight to flight school? Something in the sorts of they want to get us there before the USNA guys get there. Just looking to see if anyone has any gouge on that, being prior enlisted it is weird graduating in 3 months and still having no idea when I am supposed to transfer.

Also, I keep hearing about the NSS score for NFO's now being 40. I know that the separate tests go into the NSS score, but a 40 out of what...50? I am sorry if I sound stupid about this, but figure this is the best place to find answers.

Are they still sending NFO's to IFS?

Also I read on a post that they recommend doing something like OHarp or something so you don't have to get stuck doing a useless job before you class up for API...any knowledge out there or advice on that?

Thanks for the help in advance and as I always see, if I missed the answer to these questions somewhere I am sure I will be informed of it.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I am graduating in May 2011. I have heard that Mids are going IRR and that possibly the OC's from STA21 are going straight to flight school? Something in the sorts of they want to get us there before the USNA guys get there. Just looking to see if anyone has any gouge on that, being prior enlisted it is weird graduating in 3 months and still having no idea when I am supposed to transfer.

Also, I keep hearing about the NSS score for NFO's now being 40. I know that the separate tests go into the NSS score, but a 40 out of what...50? I am sorry if I sound stupid about this, but figure this is the best place to find answers.

Also I read on a post that they recommend doing something like OHarp or something so you don't have to get stuck doing a useless job before you class up for API...any knowledge out there or advice on that?

Thanks for the help in advance and as I always see, if I missed the answer to these questions somewhere I am sure I will be informed of it.

NSS is a score that is derived using several factors that have been discussed here before and it is currently 40. It isn't a score such as 80 out of a hundred. If you search around then you can get a better idea. That being said the best advice from what I have read about the NSS is don't worry about it. Just go to your schools and do the best you can. Good Luck!

From what I have read and been told recently by someone who just completed IFS that they are still sending NFOs to IFS.

I wish I could give information about the rest but I have no idea.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot

Best bet is to use the search function. There's a lot of good information on the site if you bother looking. The thread titled "NSS Facts" should help.

Yes.

Depends on a bunch of things, just like everything else. I believe it was possible to get TAD orders earlier this year, but for the most part, that went away with kids going through the IFS&API phases relatively quickly (I only had about 4 days of downtime over my entire stay in Pcola, and I just left). So, if they're still moving people through, I doubt TAD will be an option. That's good news, though, since it means you're training and progressing. However, that's just ensign speculation, so take that for what it's worth. I'm sure someone much more qualified will have a better answer.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

OC's will never commission IRR, we stay on active duty. It has nothing to do with the Naval Academy, who do not commission IRR anyway. Around April the aviation detailer will contact your unit with the list of report dates for your graduating class. The way it has worked in the past is that May commissionees select to report the first week of September, October, November, or December. I only know one guy who ever chose to wait until November/December. Here at ODU, the new ENS get shuffled around various stash jobs and run CORTRAMID East during the summer.

My first year here some people left ODU as early as June, but I haven't seen that since. It mostly relies on what that detailer has to say when he contacts your command.

NavyNukeNFO

It was the detailer that told the LT that he thought we would be on the fast track since the Cadets were going on IRR. In the past I have also seen them leave like you said Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec. I was just getting a different feeling listening and talking to the LT about this year with the IRR being implemented. Also that is why I asked about OHarp and stuff, I am not really wanting to just hang around and do busy work for 5 months. THanks again for the replies and the NSS Score made more sense after reading the post you recommended. Pretty much seems like it is a number you will never know where you are and just do your best and you wont have to worry about it.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I don't know what fast track he is speaking of. All of the NROTC kids who are on IRR from December are reporting to active duty on April 19, with follow on wait time until they get to Pensacola. They will still be in the pipeline with all the kids from the Academy and STA-21 over the summer/fall.

NavyNukeNFO

He mentioned something in the effect that the May 11 NROTC grads are going IRR...meaning they are going home not to Pensacola. However the Academy grads would be reporting to Pensacola around mid June since they get 30 days basket leave. The fast track meaning (again from what I heard and why I posted this on here) that we (STA21 OC's) would grad and transfer late May early June to beat the Academy grads and start our training. Not sure if I was clear on what I was trying to say, but I think this might explain it better.