• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC: TEXAS A&M OR UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Go to the school that you'd want to go to if it didn't have NROTC. The training you'll have in the military will prepare you to the required standards. If you're interested in a particular major, go to the school that has the best program in that major. Don't get trapped in a contest over who says, "ooh-rah" loudest.

As far as being immersed in the military, your NROTC drills, PT, and classes serve that purpose. The rest is just college kids playing dress-up. I was not a military school or Corps guy, but I was the battalion commander in my NROTC unit, so it's not as if I was a slacker. Being BC and .50 might get me a cup of coffee, as will being in a military college environment.

ROTC at a normal school is self-service: what you put in determines what you get out. If you have self-discipline you won't miss any military education that you need. If you need more of a cafeteria-style experience, maybe you need the structure of a Corps. Before I get flamed, I'm not saying that Corps-types lack discipline. I'm just saying that as long as you're willing to take initiative, you won't be behind militarily at a normal school, and you'll still have a "college" experience.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
I was not a military school or Corps guy, but I was the battalion commander in my NROTC unit

I'll sleep better at night knowing that.... sir
:icon_tong

/couldn't pass it up

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Polesmoker, er, Squeeze...I left my arms down for the easy jab. I now realize how hokey my line sounded, but you see my point. Thanks.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
guess you missed the reference?
it's a classic hokey Marine movie...come on

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze, i got it, you actually beat me to it by about 30 seconds on that post

"Will you be joining us today Lieutenant?"

"Uh...no Gunny...I have a dental appointment"

or something like that.

and Mario Van Peebles is a terrible actor.

Um, related thread topic...if I had to choose between UT and A&M, I'd go with UT.

rare21 said:
Also when you have your bars on no one cares where you went to school...we're all the same except during football season.

That sucks for me. I'm going to AZ state :icon_wink Sorry, but it's one of those teams you don't even try to defend.

Someone else: ASU FOOTBALL SUCKS
Me: I know

i agree with what everyone has been saying. i specifically picked UW MAdison for its history program, not its NROTC program, although i am finding it is very much to my high standards. going on cruise will let you appreciate where you are going to school and will be your guide to how to compare to other schools and programs.

having a good program with good unit staff is important, but remember that what you take out of your four years is more important than what they put in. because, as my MOI likes to quote, "a pile of horse**** has a lot of potential, but it's still a pile of **** if you don't make it into fertilizer."

even going to a school that has a good program, there are definitely midshipmen who choose to cruise without really accepting responsibilities or billets. sometimes, i think a smaller program (we have 80 people) is better because you have more chances to hold higher positions.

as to A&M or UT, go with what feels right. on my 2nd class cruise this year, i met more than a few kids from the Naval Academy. sure, they're steeped in military life 24/7, but will they ever have to break through an anti-war protest on their way to class in uniform? will they ever feel ostracized in a liberal, hummanities course for being the only one in the military in the class? will they ever automatically be assumed to be right-wing conservatists who think Bush is god? going to college and being in NROTC offers me a chance to balance two worlds, the civilian and military. and that's what you're going to have to do once you get those butterbars.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
No, I got the reference. Ya got me. But I was trying to minimize the importance of the play billets, not maximize them. They can be good experiences, but they remind me of when we were doing some training on a Navy base, and I had to wear cammies with my silly-looking mid rank insignia--like 4 bars collar insignia. A Marine asked, "What, are you some kinda super lieutenant?"

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, what a read. Hot Topic. Like everyone else said, go with what *YOU* want. Each school/program has its PROs and CONs. As for what fightinfalcon said, EVERY NROTC program has to meet requirements for a student to become commissioned as a Marine Corps or Naval Officer. Are the responsibilities for a Battalion billet the same for someone at A&M or another NROTC? Yes. You WILL get leadership exposure and experience from where ever you decide to go. Will it be easier at one place vice another? Maybe. Some NROTC programs are "just there" and others are "ROTC Nazi" programs. Visit the school and make your OWN decision.

One other question? Do you have a scholarship? If not, what are the ODDS of getting a 4 year or 3 year side-load scholarship from UT vs. A&M? Have you been accepted by both schools? Good luck...

American Ace, I went to Oregon State...the Beavers Football team sucks almost as much as the Sun Devils.....But they both have cool mascots! (Sparky & Bennie). ASU, you can't beat the ladies laying out in bikinis! :)

ea6bflyr

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
But seriously, in an attempt to remain on topic...

I went to UT and loved it. In fact, I liked it so much, I spent 5 years there. :) Austin is a great town and you'll never be at a loss for things to do. I've spent plenty of time in College Station too...and it doesn't compare. There are a few bars there and that's about it. The nightlife in B/CS on the weekends is Austin. Aggies love to trash talk the "hippie liberal" town of Austin, but they always seem to be visiting because there is nothing to do in CS.

A&M is a much more closed community...meaning they are very ate up with the lifestyle there. Everywhere you go there is maroon....even the Whataburger there is maroon and white. I'm all about school pride, but they get a little carried away.

For the technical majors, UT is ranked as one of the top schools in the nation. Just look at how UT compares to A&M on the USNews rankings. It ranks considerably higher, rather consistently.

People always knock the liberal aire of UT. I think it was one of the nicer things. Sure there is a very vocal minority that is always voicing some outlandish opinion (think PCU Causeheads), but they make the school fun and always give you something to look at on the West Mall. And because of all that, you won't be exposed to just one point of view that agrees with yours.... you'll be faced with a ton of different views and lifestyles - it makes for a well-rounded college experience that forces you to really think.

And sports... w/o sounding biased, overall UT is probably the best sports school in the nation. No other school can claim consistently high-ranked teams in virtually EVERY sport. Granted, we haven't won a football or basketball championship in a while, but just about every other sport has... and our football and basketball teams have both made it pretty far every season. Nevermind the fact that A&M is hardly even a competitive game anymore -- it's the Aggies who think we are the great rivals. Most Longhorns consider A&M a second rate rival merely on tradition... the real rival is OU.

Anyhow... I attended UT and spent a lot of time at A&M hanging out with friends, playing in tournaments, or going out and it just doesn't compare. I've gotten a pretty good picture of both sides of the fence and if I had to do it over again, the decision would be the same.

/stream of consciousness

Reactions: ben

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
...even the Whataburger there is maroon and white. I'm all about school pride, but they get a little carried away.

Haha I had to at least address this one. The city of College Station forced Whataburger and Home Depot to include maroon in their color schemes. It was a "include maroon or we won't let you build here" kind of thing. Does the city do this to every company? NO, only to those whose normal color is orange. Even as an Aggie, I think that maroon paint on a Whataburger is ridiculous...

Back to the original topic - is there even anyone who is debating between A&M/UT NROTC programs anymore? I posted my personal opinions back in March (http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62812&postcount=13) and still think the same way. I live in Austin now and would have to agree with squeeze on most things. Austin is a way better city as far as entertainment goes. You will never run out of things to do if you come here. In College Station, you will probably do the same things a lot of weekends.

As far as majors and rankings go, do some research and pick the place that seems to be a better fit for you. Look at USNews & World Report rankings and see what they have to say. Also think about things like class size and student/professor ratio.

I didn't go to school at UT and can't comment on the general mood of the student body. Texas A&M has some "liberal hippies" as well, let me assure you. I would guess that most larger schools across the nation do too. That's just what happens when you bring 40-something thousand students together.

And yes, UT has more successful sports programs than A&M and it doesn't bother me to say that. Unless you're an athlete, I would hope that the success or failure of a prospective school's sports teams don't really affect your decision on where to go.

I think squeeze and I, he as a former Longhorn and I as a former Aggie, would agree that the best way to make a decision is to go visit and see which place fits you best. There are lots of factors that schools like to capitalize on to try to bring in new students, but the bottom line is that you have to see where you see yourself fitting in and being successful. Get the degree you want from the school you want to go to. Let the NROTC stuff work itself out on its own. The two programs are likely VERY different, and it shouldn't be that hard to pick between the two. Just remember, a commission is a commission no matter how you get it. Go to school where you want to.

For me, I think I would have had a more enjoyable "college experience" at UT than Texas A&M. However, I wouldn't have met any of my Aggie friends and my life would be completely different. I might not have made the decision to pursue Naval Aviation. So given the opportunity, I would make the same decision to go to A&M in order to be where I am now. Like I said though, I think I would have been a better fit at UT (as crazy as it is for an Aggie to say that!) If anyone has any questions about the whole UT vs A&M thing, feel free to PM me. I'd be glad to help out however I can.

ea6bflyr said:
American Ace, I went to Oregon State...the Beavers Football team sucks almost as much as the Sun Devils.....But they both have cool mascots! (Sparky & Bennie). ASU, you can't beat the ladies laying out in bikinis! :)

ea6bflyr

You're right, the football team can't beat ladies in bikinis. j/k, I know what you're saying and I can't wait :icon_smil :hot_anima :hot_anima :hot_anima

Also, I know it's a long shot, but when you were in flight school did you go to an airshow at Davis Monthan in Tucson? b/c a friend and I wound up meeting some really cool SNAs who just graduated from Oregon St. Basically, after talking with them, I decided that I would join the military regardless of whether my vision would destroy my pilot qual.

Like I said, it's a long shot, but thanks anyway sir.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rotorhead said:
Jesus Christ. Get a life and quit bashing schools. Who the hell cares where you went or what you think about my college? Take pride in your own school, and shut your pie hole.

Whoa there big guy! Settle down. Wasn't trying to bash your school. Just giving my perspective on someone else's post. A couple things with that. One, if this is a problem for you, go find somewhere else to hang around. Second, if you can't find a little humor in jabbing each other on what school we went to, then go find somewhere else to hang around. Try not to take my remarks so personal. They're not meant to be personal at all.

USNA: 'You guys are all love the gange!'
ROTC: 'Oh yeah, you can't get laid.'

Endless cycle.

...And just to stir the pot:
I heard they moved A&M to Oklahoma and the average IQ of both states went up.

Go ahead, take your best shot at ASU (It's not that hard). Compared to you AM guys, I have no school pride whatsoever, so do your worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.