• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Service Selection FY11

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
I agree with you all on SA. They can only spare 2 pilot spots for STA-21 Core guys, but a kid at my unit go selected SNA with a 2.40 gpa, prt failures, and a 4/5/4 ASTB.

We all agree it's guessing at best as far as manning requirements/the crapshoot that is SA, but try not to rain on the parade of people who got picked up recently. Let's not get into a pissing contest between commissioning programs on who gets how many slots for X designator. It's pointless. Non-hackers will get weeded out one way or another, so don't sweat that, either.

Again, congrats to everyone who selected and got what they wanted. Enjoy your senior year, it goes by quick.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Congrats guys.......I remember how excited I was when I got that call from my senior advisor. @ OP, there are surely some hotties waiting on 6th st to help you celebrate....don't keep them waiting!

Armbar

I got selected 1390, and I and could not be happier. It only took me 9 years to get to this point but hey, who's counting. I'll see you guys in Pensacola!

Iron Maiden

Has anyone that is commissioning in this class (May 2011) heard anything about being stashed on IRR due to training backlogs at Pensacola? If so, any gouge on for how long?

Congrats to all!

Iron Maiden

Gouge has been at several units for 1390 and 1370 to expect to be placed in involuntary IRR after grad for up to a year due to pipeline issues. But I have not heard of this actually happening. Just questioning what others may be experiencing or have heard.

The_Commodore

Pavement sucks
Yeah everyone here had to sign papers acknowledging that we could be put on IRR, but I don't know if it'll really end up happening. From what I understand, you can actually request to be on IRR longer than you might be otherwise, I guess if you wanted to work on a masters or something. It makes sense though, all the other services have been doing it forever. I, for one, am not too worried about it. While I do wanna get to Pensacola ASAP, I got a good part time job, and it would be nice to have a bit of a vacation.

punx_clever

I had been stashed after my commissioning, but that was when there was still a backlog at P-cola. Now, the flood gates are open down there now that the wings are taking students.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
I had been stashed after my commissioning, but that was when there was still a backlog at P-cola. Now, the flood gates are open down there now that the wings are taking students.

Exactly. Same thing happened to me. Things are moving pretty briskly right now at The Cradle. I'm picking up for things a lot sooner than I thought I would based on the previous year (example - I know a FY09 guy that took 11 months to start API). The gouge is that people are picking up for IFS within a month of check-in, and API within a few weeks of completing IFS (I also know of a kid who got picked up the day after completing IFS). As always, take gouge with a grain of salt since it could change at any time.

I'd be surprised if the FY11 kids go on IRR at all, or for more than 6 months if it even happens. On the upside to the IRR thing, however remote it may be, is that at least the FY11 mids know it's an option. I'm a FY10 guy, and they pretty much sprung the "possibility of IRR" on us in February, wayyyy too late to apply for jobs/internships/grad programs.

Of course, the Navy could always run out of money or experience a mass downing of airframes again...

Creature

Hello all, I found out this past Wednesday I was selected SNA. I'm graduating in Dec and commissioning on the 18th, I'm really hoping to evade this IRR and just be stashed at my unit. I have heard NO WORD about whether I will be going on IRR or not yet. I think the navy is handling this poorly by not telling us if we are going to be unemployed or not.

STARFlight145

Congrats on selecting 1390 Armbar and Creature.

No official word on IRR at my unit as well. My HRA has only been able to tell me that it's a possibility. This lack of information is no good, but at least we have our foot in the door of naval aviation. I can't complain too much.

punx_clever

6 months of unemployment leading into a whole lot of money. I wouldn't worry about it. Use that ENS loan to broaden your horizons... europe, australia, etc. Could always pick up a CDL while you're waiting. Those things are like gold!

Iron Maiden

Thanks everyone for the replies. If you could update this thread when you get more info on your particular IRR situation (or not) it would be greatly appreciated.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There are many worse things than IRR. Yeah, it kind of sucks that you won't be getting that big ENS paycheck (coughchucklecough) as soon, but figure out something constructive to do in that time period. Travel, get a job, hang out at your favorite college bars, etc. You won't be able to do much of that once you start flight school, and certainly not after you get wings, so look on the bright side. Had I known what I know now, I would have asked for the latest Pcola report date possible and enjoyed some stash time in the process (or just lazy part time employment for you prospective IRR dudes). I do know where you are coming from though.....I was very eager to get started as well.

leo20307

Rhinos
None
Just selected 1370, ya know, because somebody's got to be back there

In keeping with one of the first questions, here's the stats:

Political Science 3.4
ASTB 7/7/7
PRT OutLow

Poly sci if you wanna fly