• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Scholarship Update

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some good gouge from my recent visit to a Large NROTC:

1. Scholarships: 85% of NROTC scholarships are targeted for TECH/ENGR majors (Tier 1 &2).
2. If you get a scholarship agreeing to a TECH/ENGR major and later decide to change majors to Non-Tech (Tier 3), then you will LOSE your scholarship or become a College Program or Advanced Standing student (Monthly Stipend only & commission).
3. Non-Tech majors are low on the selection list and are becoming VERY competitive for scholarship selection.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Kyoowashugi

Damn shame, and I'm saying that as an engineering major. If they want more nukes, they should try making being a nuke not suck.

The Phiz

pilot
This is because some jackasses start as an engineer, and then have the audacity to realize that they would hate being one. They then switch to a more practical and enjoyable major. Those asses. :icon_wink

Who would do such a thing? :paperbag_

LoL, all I have to say is I am glad I went through NROTC when I did. This change would have really put a cramp in my college experience. I would have been forced with staying with a crappy major, that I had no interest in, or losing my navy scholarship (when my goal was to become an aviator all along).

Ghstrdrvt

Don't tase me bro.
pilot
I'm just glad I went through ROTC when I did. Started out engineering, hated it, went business, had a great time. I think they need to realize it takes all kinds. Technical knowledge is great, but I'd hope that people with some other experience are out there too.

d3west86

Definitely...more than half of the engineering majors in my ROTC class switched to criminal justice, business, lib arts, etc. at the end of freshman year ('05). I'm just glad I got in and got out of ROTC before this mess started! :D

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Damn shame, and I'm saying that as an engineering major. If they want more nukes, they should try making being a nuke not suck.

or perhaps the people that want to go Nuke and go for an interview that pass everything, However the ADM simply doesn't "like" them.

ALL of this years Seniors got letters from Commander NSTC encouraging them to "highly consider going into the nuclear power program."

It's funny though, as a STA-21 applicant when I was a recruiter and nuke, there was NO option for me to even apply for the program. It was only available for current students or staff in the training command.

BEGGARS CAN NOT BE CHOOSY. :D

JTB7

Can a NROTC-Marine Option mid switch majors or does this apply to both Navy and USMC options?

If one applies for a scholarship during their second year of college, is this 85% Tier1 and 2 placement still in effect?

navy09

None
^ This is for Navy only, the Muhreenes don't care what you major in as long as you can do 20 pullups and run an 18 minute 3-mile.

Don't know about your second question but I'd bet this rule applies regardless of when you get the scholarship.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
^ This is for Navy only, the Muhreenes don't care what you major in as long as you can do 20 pullups and run an 18 minute 3-mile.

Sounds as if the Marines just got themselves a pretty sweet recruiting incentive for their side of the NROTC program.

I wonder how many Navy-options will try to switch?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
At my unit there always seemed to be plenty of Navy Options who were on the fence and would hang out and PT with the Marine Options. The majors thing would probably knock many of them off the fence. Most MOIs and AMOIs are good about knowing which ones can hang with the Marines. Most of the ones who would consider it could deal with OCS anyways.

We all know the the Marine Corps just wants someone who can run, get a C average in PE/Criminal Justice/Insert joke major here, and has a note from Mom saying,"He's kinda smart."

Daisy

Exceptions aside, scholarship applicants who want tier 3 majors will need to be in the top of the entire applicant pool.

Unless Naval Academy matriculates and graduates tech majors commensurately then NROTC units will be providing more officers with tech undergrad degrees.

I have not seen quota goals re: tech/non-tech undergrad degrees for OCS. But it seems OCS would be a more reliable and expedient source for attaining officers with technical backgrounds.

Daisy

Some good gouge from my recent visit to a Large NROTC:

1. Scholarships: 85% of NROTC scholarships are targeted for TECH/ENGR majors (Tier 1 &2).
2. If you get a scholarship agreeing to a TECH/ENGR major and later decide to change majors to Non-Tech (Tier 3), then you will LOSE your scholarship or become a College Program or Advanced Standing student (Monthly Stipend only & commission).
3. Non-Tech majors are low on the selection list and are becoming VERY competitive for scholarship selection.

-ea6bflyr ;)

@ea6bflyr - you're awesome thanks for posting. Re: points 1,2 & 3;

1. key words = scholarships "are targeted" i.e. 85% is a goal

2. sounds negotiable

3. negotiable in that NROTC commissions 1100 or so. Will it be a concern if commission numbers via NROTC decline significantly?