• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Scholarship probability/chances?

DoubleNuts

None
NROTC scholarship chances?
Looking for a feel on how competitive my son is for a 4 yr NROTC scholarship

SAT's: 670CR/640M/630WR
GPA: 3.3 in honors and 1 AP course (AP Gov) in a high performing suburban high school
Senior classes: AP English and US Hist, Calculus, Latin IV, Anatomy
Sports: Lacrosse 4 years on varsity, 3 as starter, leading scorer and team MVP as junior. Captain as senior.
Football JV and Varsity. Not a star
Developed and led our student cheering session for varsity basketball. Had to negotiate with school administrators to get it going. Varsity bball coach loves it and him.
Extracurriculars: School paper, peer tutor, youth tutor, freelance photography

Spent 16 of his 17 years around Navy. I just retired last year. Does coming from a Navy family help or hurt.

sickboy

pilot
I can't say for sure, but his SAT's are pretty nice and he has some leadership experience. It really depends on how he stands up against the competition. With that said, tell him to work his tail off his senior year to get his GPA up a bit.

mike172

GO NAVY
He looks pretty good. However, the thing that matters most is timing, and who else is applying I found. At my unit last year there were kids with way lower SAT scores then me, lower GPAs, less activities and leadership experiences. Who got scholarships.

I did not get a 4 year. But I was just awarded a 2.5 year last semester.
Someone with a lower college GPA and not as high a fitrep and lower PT score got a 3 yr. So there doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason.

What is his intended major?

I ask what major because this apparently plays a big role. Also I have heard through various sources at the unit that either this scholarship year or next scholarship year they will ONLY be accepting technical majors, instead of just prefering them.

Good luck! ROTC is cool!

-mike

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
He looks pretty good but honestly it's hard to predict who will get the scholarship and who won't. I would definitely recommend that if he doesn't pick up the 4 year scholarship he should go to a school with NROTC and participate as a college programmer (a scholarship-less, contract-less mid, basically). Work hard there and he'll have a real good shot at picking it up later.

IrishEagle85

He looks pretty good but honestly it's hard to predict who will get the scholarship and who won't. I would definitely recommend that if he doesn't pick up the 4 year scholarship he should go to a school with NROTC and participate as a college programmer (a scholarship-less, contract-less mid, basically). Work hard there and he'll have a real good shot at picking it up later.

Agreed. At my unit, almost every college option picked up a 2 year scholarship by their junior year.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NROTC scholarship chances?
Looking for a feel on how competitive my son is for a 4 yr NROTC scholarship

SAT's: 670CR/640M/630WR
GPA: 3.3 in honors and 1 AP course (AP Gov) in a high performing suburban high school
Senior classes: AP English and US Hist, Calculus, Latin IV, Anatomy
Sports: Lacrosse 4 years on varsity, 3 as starter, leading scorer and team MVP as junior. Captain as senior.
Football JV and Varsity. Not a star
Developed and led our student cheering session for varsity basketball. Had to negotiate with school administrators to get it going. Varsity bball coach loves it and him.
Extracurriculars: School paper, peer tutor, youth tutor, freelance photography

Spent 16 of his 17 years around Navy. I just retired last year. Does coming from a Navy family help or hurt.

Overall SOLID applicant. He will get a few extra, maybe five, points for military parents. I'd say his chances are very good. Has he been online at wttps://www.nrotc.navy.mi? If not, tell him to get busy.

-ea6bflyr ;)