• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Rankings

navy09

None
i have heard of schools getting their midshipman what they want(in terms of service selection) more often than others though

anyone care to comment?

In four years I recall only 3 Mids that didn't ultimately get their first choice (and that's out of ~120 grads)....each of them wanted to be SEALs.

That's just my experience, YMMV.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
i have heard of schools getting their midshipman what they want(in terms of service selection) more often than others though

anyone care to comment?

There are certainly schools that tend to send people certain ways ... a good example is my Alma Mater, Purdue. Most classes were half aviation, a good number of subs, and at least one SEAL/EOD each class. There were a few SWOtivators, many of which were SWO-N. If you look at the stronger academic programs Purdue has, these results make sense: strong Aviation Tech program, strong Nuclear Engineering program, and plenty of underwater basketweaving majors. You will also find in such schools (mostly the larger NROTC programs) that the staff is stacked accordingly (our Skipper was always a sub nuke, and our XO was always a pilot or NFO).

incubus852

pilot
Ahhh yes! It must be true.

I heard that if you heard something it is true 76% of the time...except if heard on Sundays or if it is raining, then decrease the chance by the number of pregnant Madagascar roaches for sale in the pet shop at 5th and Broadway.

OBTW, I heard 22% get jets in FY23.

douche_bag1.JPG

And to follow up, other people have basically said it... each source has a quality spread. Good and bad.

The actual unit at each university had no impact on my choice whatsoever. You show up and do your best, they'll try and get you what you want. I picked the university that I liked / fit me the best.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
douche_bag1.JPG

And to follow up, other people have basically said it... each source has a quality spread. Good and bad.

The actual unit at each university had no impact on my choice whatsoever. You show up and do your best, they'll try and get you what you want. I picked the university that I liked / fit me the best.

Sweet...

Incubus says I'm a douche.

Check that off my bucket list.

Let's see...next...steal A-4s beer.

JTB7

Are you looking for a unit with a heavy Marine influence?

While he may not, I am definitely looking for a NROTC program with a heavy Marine influence. Do you know of any NROTC programs with a heavy Marine influence?

navy09

None
While he may not, I am definitely looking for a NROTC program with a heavy Marine influence. Do you know of any NROTC programs with a heavy Marine influence?

Rule of thumb- if the CO or XO is wearing green, the Marine side of the house is going to get more love. Same logic applies if they've got a large number of MECEPs.

Also talk to Mids at the units you're looking at and ask them. Every MOI is going to think he has the best Marine program in NROTC so don't ask him or the Gunny.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Are you seriously still trying to rank NROTC programs? Believe the rest of us when we say it makes no difference after commissioning. And it doesn't really even make a difference when you are still in the program......

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Rule of thumb- if the CO or XO is wearing green, the Marine side of the house is going to get more love.

Villanova has had nothing but Marine CO's in the last 6+ years. I don't know why that is, but the Marine Options do get lots of leeway and love.

dirtydog

UCLA

Historically a Marine Colonel CO

Lots of MECEPS

Good to GO.

IRfly

None
Don't worry about your service selection. Just tell them that you want to be the "Lead Ensign" in A-pool. This thread shows that you're perfect for the job.

niktam

The question Translated:
What NROTC PROGRAM WILL GET ME JETS!!!??!?!?!??!
First off Im confused, rotc tolls are also called mids?

second off, being a co/xo of a rotc command is similiar to a staff tour, its not ran by some civilian that works that for 50 years and builds tenure.

Its a rotating billet that gets filled. The people in charge may have molded the program at South Hampton Institute of Technology into the best damn program in the nation, and there relief comes along and lets it all go to SHIT. its the way it is.

FWIW the exact same thing happens in the fleet at squadrons and carriers as well.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
But there is a difference in a place like Texas A&M or VTech versus some regular state public school.]

Heh. If you say so. You can add all the Corps fluff to try to make it more interesting or 'applicable' (it ain't), but in the end the NROTC program itself is identical to every other NROTC program in the nation. The VTCC or the A&M Corps don't hand out the commissions, no matter what their brochures say.

That said, it was certainly an experience, but you should know going in if you choose any of the senior militaries that it's not the real military. At all. Treating it as anything other than a military-STYLE student organization will 1. make you an enormous tool and 2. give you the impression that you somehow graduated from a 'better' program. I should know. I went to a senior military and was both of those for the first few months after I commissioned.

WHICH leads me to answer the OPs original question. What school's NROTC program is the best? Any variable you choose to rank will generate a different answer. Most commissionees? VT, Citadel or Texas A&M. Hottest women? Any Texas school. Best location? Washington or anywhere in southern California. Best instructors/curriculum? Hell if I know. This is an absolutely impossible question to answer, so I'd suggest you focus your inquisitive energies on finding the best UNIVERSITY fit for you and worry about the Navy stuff after you find a good fit, because if you hate your school, the Navy won't be able to do much for you.