• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Rankings

Excited Mid

I was wondering what everyone's opinions are if they were asked to rank NROTC programs, based off of the officers they have met in the fleet and their respective colleges. I think Villanova is widely recognized for having a great program, but I would like to know what people think about others. Thanks guys

navy09

None
I think Villanova is widely recognized for having a great program...

Based on what? That's a serious question, I want to know what you think makes a great program.

There's no best (or worst) program out there. Are you looking for a unit that PTs 17 times a week or one with a serious drill team? Are you looking for a unit with a heavy Marine influence? A heavy Aviation influence?

From what I've seen/heard, they're all fairly similar but you'll surely have a unique experience wherever you go.

Excited Mid

based off of your experiences with officers from different schools. I feel as though each program can produce a different type of leader. I dont care about PTs or drill or anything like that I just want to know what y'all think about the people you've come across in your career

navy09

None
I disagree, you're probably going to turn out pretty much the same regardless of where you commission from. The best way to learn to be an officer is to be an officer.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
You're just opening a can of worms with that kinda question here, man.

The long and short of it is, the type of officer you are going to be has nothing to do with your commissioning source. If you are gonna be a good officer, I would submit that you'll be a good officer whether you came from school x or from the boat school or wherever.

A NROTC program isn't going to teach you how to be a hard worker and a good guy/gal. Those are traits you either have or you don't.

My $.02

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
You're just opening a can of worms with that kinda question here, man.

The long and short of it is, the type of officer you are going to be has nothing to do with your commissioning source. If you are gonna be a good officer, I would submit that you'll be a good officer whether you came from school x or from the boat school or wherever.

A NROTC program isn't going to teach you how to be a hard worker and a good guy/gal. Those are traits you either have or you don't.

My $.02

Agreed. It's up to an individual to recognize their strengths and weaknesses as a leader and use that to become the best officer that they can be. A NROTC unit is just there to try to guide you along the way.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Both solid officers and D-bags from all programs including the Academy.

So if you get accepted to a school you perceive had an inferior program you would turn it down?

Tuition and room and board cost should mean more to you. Those are definitely different.

dirtydog

Hey, we all get the same commission in the end.

But there is a difference in a place like Texas A&M or VTech versus some regular state public school.

Personally, I think the social training you get from enjoying yourself in college gives a lot of balance, which I why I went ROTC over academy in the first place.

Crowbar

None
This is copied from a post I made a few months back:

Any NROTC unit will provide you the opportunity to earn a commission. Picking a school based on the perceived reputation of its current NROTC program might seem like a good idea, but as with everything else, luck and timing will come into play. A new MOI or AMOI can come in and turn a 'bad' program 'good' or a 'good' program 'bad' in no time. What seems like the perfect program now might be a clownshow by this time next year and vice versa. If you want to pick a school because it has a certain academic program with a good reputation, that's different. That's built up over years or decades and typically won't change overnight.

I know in the end you're going to do what you think is right, just be aware of how quickly and drastically a unit can change.

Excited Mid

i have heard of schools getting their midshipman what they want(in terms of service selection) more often than others though

anyone care to comment?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I was wondering what everyone's opinions are if they were asked to rank NROTC programs, based off of the officers they have met in the fleet and their respective colleges. I think Villanova is widely recognized for having a great program, but I would like to know what people think about others. Thanks guys

I did my own ranking on NROTC programs; I based it on how many attractive college women/parties there were on campus and around.

I went with Texas and the rest is history.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
i have heard of schools getting their midshipman what they want(in terms of service selection) more often than others though

anyone care to comment?

Well, I'm sure that they take the school into account when they're looking at GPA. A 3.0 from Bob's College of Knowledge and a 3.0 from an Ivy league school will likely not carry the same weight. You also tend to have more qualified individuals at the more prestigious schools, so that can make it seem like certain schools have better service selection. If you're asking if certain units tend to go to bat more for their Mids come selection, the answer is no.

It all comes down to the individual. Pick a school and unit that is a good fit for you.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot

anyone care to comment?

Ahhh yes! It must be true.

I heard that if you heard something it is true 76% of the time...except if heard on Sundays or if it is raining, then decrease the chance by the number of pregnant Madagascar roaches for sale in the pet shop at 5th and Broadway.

OBTW, I heard 22% get jets in FY23.