• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Program

Quan

Hi,
My name is Quan, i am a senior in high school and planning to attend ODU and do the NROTC program there. I heard that it is a strict program since it is near everything and it is close to one of the largest base on the east coast. so my questions are, how difficult is the NROTC program at ODU? how many days do they PT in a week? do they have different requirements for PT test? how are their lives? i am the first generation to go into military so i am new to all of these stuffs. Rate me on how good i am based on my height, weight and my max in push ups, sit ups, and mile and a half.
im 17, 5'10, 220 lbs, 19% body fat, i can do 65 push ups in 1 minute, 60 sit ups, and i haven't tried my mile and a half, but i can run a mile in 9 mins (mostly jogging) Rate me on how well i would do on an actual PT test.
Suggestions are welcome and thank you!

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
Hey Quan. Are you planning on Navy or Marine, or undecided(its a big choice so its ok at this point). That will help answer some questions as to the PT. I know some guys who were at ODU. They didn't make it seem to hard, I think they may be just a bit more moto than other places. Every school demands "X" out of you, some are "X-3" while others are "X+2". At the end of the day, they are all different but somewhat the same. The goal of the NROTC is to begin molding you into a Naval Officer while you complete your degree. Your degree is a huge deal, along with an outside job you may need to survive. So they can't run you ragged during the day.
Have you applied yet, or going college program? Have you talked to the recruiting officer there at the NROTC?

Physically.... I'm not sure about your height/weight, it sounds a bit heavy. Pushups/situps need some work. You have 2 minutes to do each set, shoot for about 100 (not navy so I don't the exactly). If you are going Marine, be shooting for 20 pullups. Your run is pretty slow, but running sucks. At that rate you would fail the Marine PFT (3 miles, +28 mins=fail, 18 mins=max score). So start running/more cardio anyways.
Not trying to get you down, some people are PT gods, others like me are not. It takes a lot of work but you can do it. You are in the same boat as a lot of people.
PT is usually 2-3 times a week in most places. For those who are sucking at PT, there may be more workouts. Its all for your benefit.

How are the lives of MOST NROTC dudes, wake up go to PT @0500 (maybe), go to school all day, go home/work (repeat mon-fri). One afternoon a week is Lab for a few hours. Probabaly do something on the weekends 1-3 times a semester.

Good luck....

gotta_fly

pilot
Google "Navy PRT standards" and you will find charts for all ages and genders with the standards. The Navy tests a 2 minute max for pushups and situps and a 1.5 mile run, so your stats don't really compare directly. I will tell you that a 9 minute pace is probably slower than what they want. Good luck.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Quan

I'm planning to go to the Navy program, I am going for an engineering degree at ODU, i already got accepted to ODU, and I'm going to talk to the Navy ROTC recruiter at ODU next week. I know my height and weight are a bit heavy but i can do push ups and sit ups, and i will take your suggestion into consideration, i have been lifting weights and been doing better on my push ups and sit ups. so i can probably do more than 65 push ups, but that is my max for 1 minute so i don't know how much i can do in 2 mins. i know my run is slow, what is your suggestion for the time for a 1.5 mile run?

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
1st
Start running. Get on some running websites for good advice. Mine would be run 1 mile, 3 times a week. Next week do 2 1 mile runs, and 1 2 mile run. Steadyily increase as you get better. You don't have to be running 5 miles a day, but try t oget to the level where you can run that far. If you have a pool available, start swimming. Look into some other cardio workouts like "instanity."

When you get to the unit, seek out some PT stud and work out with them/get advice.
Bottom line: Focus on cardio.

Quan

will elliptical work? i used to do it for a month in the summer and i seemed to lose some weight and can run a lot better. and i will try to run more. I'm going to the NROTC guy at ODU today and talk to them. hope everything goes well. Thank you for your suggestion, that really helps.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NO, there is no replacement for RUNNING. Run and run often as Criminal stated above.

I will forewarn you: if you do not run, you are in for LOTS of remedial PT.

As a former NROTC instructor, we had folks show up for their freshman year that did not run and they ended up on remedial PT for the entire freshman year. Remedial PT at my unit consisted of 1.5 hour three times a week (0530-0700). While you might think, "no problem", it is a big cut into your daily routine especially if you are up late (0200) the night before working on a project. You should be able to run a 1.5 mile run in under 12 minutes period. If you cannot, then start working on it NOW!

Also, if you cannot be considered for a NROTC scholarship if you do not pass the PFA (BCA:Ht/Wt/BF && PRT:SU/PU/1.5 mile RUN).

Get busy.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Quan

thanks for the advice guys, I'm gonna go start running and what do you mean if i cannot be considered for a NROTC scholarship if i do not pass the PFA? the last time i ran 1.5 mile, it was 11 min, so i don't know how long i can run now.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Talk with the staff at ODU NROTC about how to get a scholarship; they should have all the details. The PFA is part of the equation.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Quan

I just talked to the ODU NROTC recruiter today, now i am debating whether i should join or not, and the officer gave me all the informations that i needed but i still would like to know more about their PT. I'm concerned about the PT part the most b/c no one in my family is in shape and I'm the closest one to be in shape and i don't want to be that one lonely guy running at the end of the line. I know that they will push you at PT and really drill you and make you better, but what else is there? Also, at O-week, what am i to be expecting? i heard that i will not get a lot of sleep, and most will be just running, swimming, drill, marching, etc.. any good advice that will help me prepare for O-week?

robav8r

None
Contributor
^ The program (all aspects of it, including. the PT) is preparing you to be an Officer and a leader in the armed Forces. Being in top physical shape is very important. But don't shy away from it, embrace it. The Navy will teach you and mentor you along the way. No one will let you fail unless you give up on yourself. Start each day with a great attitude and a willingness to learn/accomplish something new and you'll be just fine. But you have to really want it yourself.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
O-week is like most every indoc program at NROTCs around the country. They have one goal: acclimate you to the NROTC by teaching you the rules and regulations, military courtesies, how to march, and how to PT. If you do not do the orientation/indoc week and you join the NROTC, then you will behind the power curve. If they let you go, then do it.

-ea6bflyr ;)

cameron172

pilot
I just talked to the ODU NROTC recruiter today, now i am debating whether i should join or not, and the officer gave me all the informations that i needed but i still would like to know more about their PT. I'm concerned about the PT part the most b/c no one in my family is in shape and I'm the closest one to be in shape and i don't want to be that one lonely guy running at the end of the line. I know that they will push you at PT and really drill you and make you better, but what else is there? Also, at O-week, what am i to be expecting? i heard that i will not get a lot of sleep, and most will be just running, swimming, drill, marching, etc.. any good advice that will help me prepare for O-week?

Every unit conducts their o-week differently. We did PT before the sun came up, then breakfast, classes, lunch, close order drill, classes, dinner and "game time" for 7 days. Most o-weeks are not designed to weed people out...but be sure you really want to be there and you'll make it through.

Knowing my freshman class, there were people who had never run a day in their life. The fall outs at least fell out together. There was either a motivated MECEP yelling at me to PICK IT UP!, or a senior OC telling me "there you go!" every couple minutes. But after pushing yourself at PT four days a week (atleast at my unit), you will start to fall out less and less. Your unit's PT schedule may be designed for maintaining a baseline rather than improving, so it's up to you to go running and do workouts on the weekend or twice a day if you need to improve.

Quan

Thank you for all the post and suggestions. I will start running and learn how to swim. O-week is kind of scaring me but i'll get through it. thank you for your help again. it really helps.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Ok, take a deep breath and relax. NROTC PT is not something to worry about. Based on your first post in this thread, you won't be leading the pack but you won't be at the very back. Clearly, you need to run more, so get on it. Find out when out o-week is, and build up from one mile a day starting next week to 4-5 week by the time you start o-week. Watch what you eat. Get started on a push up and sit up routine. Stick with it and you will be fine.

As far as what O-week entails, it isn't anything impossible. You'll be stressed, but it isn't the end of the world. You sound like you're insecure about your physical condition, so decide if you really want to be an officer, if so, get your ass in shape. I knew guys who couldn't run a mile on day one without collapsing. They manned up, ran everyday, did 4 years of NROTC, and commissioned. You have a few months, exploit the advantage and get in shape.