• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC-Physical??

Status
Not open for further replies.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
Talked to my recruiter, as part of my NROTC application I need to complete a physical. He's sending a list of DOD approved physicians in my area, but I'm just wondering what exactly this is all about (what're they looking for?). I don't have any obviously disqualifing medical conditions (I wear glasses, 20/70ish, but thats it). So, about what can I expect for this? Thanks!

Spitfire

Think your average physical, plus a little, they check your heart, breathing, reflexes, etc., it should be like what you get when you go for any other physical, except they will do more hearing/seeing tests. They give you a depth perception, 2 color blindness, and one basic sight test. They also give you a hearing test. They'll take some blood, and i think urine too. They're looking for obvious disqualifiers.

snizo

Supply Officer
A little more than the average physical?! Mine was much longer and more thorough.

I did mine at an army base -- if you wind up doing yours with a private physician, it will probably be different (primary difference being time).

Mine was split up over two days with about 3 hours each day.

Day 1: All the stuff that doesn't actually require the doctor. They took blood and urine, vision tests (listed above), hearing test, made sure I could read something for the first time out loud (yea - interesting), dental exam, full dental x-rays.

Dat 2: Full medical history (with detailed descriptions of any injuries, accidents, and most illnesses [other than, for example, the common cold]). The you see the doc where you get a full and complete (and I do mean complete) check up.

They are about to put a decent amount of money in to your education. They want to make sure they can expect your ability to work for them afterwards. In that respect, they aren't just looking for obvious disqualifiers -- but you aren't going to be under a microscope. It just takes a long time to get through some of that stuff.

My comissioning physical was similar to the DODMERB (entrance physical) except for slightly different (additional) vision tests.

Ironfeliks23

USC- Sr.
When I did my NROTC/DODMERB physical they said I had to do it at the Naval hospital at Balboa Island. To reitterate what snizo said (and verify it) the first day I did all the things that dont require a doctor.

hearing test (20 min? button pushing when it beeps)
blood (no eating for 24hours before) / urine
blood pressure / heart rate / EKG
height, weight
dental pictures
vision once with a PO
vision again with a Cmdr. (bit quicker and more personal/casual)

Second day (two weeks later) was an interview with the doctor, you go point by point down your history. Explain everything to its extreme (I had marked that I had cancer, needless to say I was there for 40 min on that point alone). However the most part is asking about youth sports, other problems like shortness of breath and the like, things that you may not have marked. Then the routine strip, pushup, stretch, make sure all your body works etc... Lastly a good once over visually for scars, tats, birthmarks, etc... He asked me about mine, fallen tree here, fall off a swing there, explaining that I was just accident prone took a while. Its daunting if you have never been scrutinized like that before, but nothing intrusive, just look, nod, make some mark on the paper.

I had a chief in San Diego as the recruiter at the time, he passed on the info real well. I am a bit curious about not having to go to a real hospital, the chief seemed rather strict about that at the time, but that was 3 1/2 years ago.

Anyhow, good luck and dont worry.

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
My DODMERB physical wasn't the same as snizo's or ironfeliks....

Mine was just a thorough physical exam, plus they got a urine sample. I also had to go to an optometrist to get a really short vision checkup. I never had to see the dentist. And I never had to sit down with the doctor and go through my medical history at length....guess i'm just lucky

I will say though, my heart did skip a beat when the doctor told me to bend over and spread 'em.....i definitely felt violated. :icon_eek:

Spitfire

Yeah...I never had to see the dentist...I went to an AFB. I mean...it was one day, maybe 3 hours, and probably less. They asked all of the basic questions, but there was no real inquiry into my medical history...go air force i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.