• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC or OCS for a High School Junior

LET73

Hi, I'm a High School Junior I've always wanted to be a helicopter pilot, but I've also loved the ocean (growing up near it helps) s0 I guess becoming a naval helicopter pilot has always been my calling. I just wanted to know what is the easiest way to get into the elusive helicopter pipeline for a high school junior?). NROTC or OCS?

Sorry I'm kind of new here and I just wanted to sort of extend my search a little. Also if there is somewhere else I should have posted this tell me thanks.

(Ps I'm going into senior year with a 4.05 GPA and a 30 on the ACT and most of the colleges I'm looking at offer NROTC)

I have a ton of more questions but I have no idea where to ask them
The appeal of OCS is that you are applying for a specific job in the Navy, and the contract you sign will guarantee you the opportunity to pursue that job--that is, if you get picked up for SNA, you will go to flight school (assuming you meet the physical requirements). So, before you have any obligation whatsoever to the Navy, you know that you will be doing what you want to do. The benefit of NROTC, on the other hand, is the scholarship, but there are no guarantees about what community you will go into when you commission. If you know right now that you definitely want to be in the Navy, even if you can't be a helo pilot, go for NROTC. If you aren't completely sure you want to be in the Navy in any other capacity than a helo pilot, wait. OCS will be there after college. Either way, don't pursue a commissioning program if you're not committed to being a naval officer regardless of what job you're doing.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things, so keep that up. Also, check out the "Questions about becoming a Navy Officer," "Paths to a Commission," "NROTC," and "Navy OCS" threads on this forum. You will probably find answers to some of your questions there, and if your questions aren't answered there, it's a good place for your more specific questions.

Evan Pappas

I know that as a junior in high school I knew very little about the Navy (not from a Navy town, not from a Navy family). All I know about it is research I've done on my own and what I've learned in my OCS application process. However, I went from a "pilot or bust" mentality and now have the ultimate goal of earning a commission. If you're committed to becoming a naval aviator at this point in your life, that's great but do your homework and try to learn a bit about other jobs and what the Navy does as a whole. Part of the reason I originally only wanted pilot was that I simply didn't know that much about the Navy and aviation always interested me.

I was very fortunate to get picked up for pilot for OCS and am extremely excited for the road ahead. However, it's been said, there's no telling how competitive slots will be once you graduate and even if you get picked up for pilot, you may get medically DQ'd at OCS (something I'm still nervous as hell about). Would you be ok with doing another job or would you go home at that point? If you think you'd be content doing something else and determine that earning your commission is the ultimate goal, absolutely go with NROTC. If your ultimate goal is to serve and earn a commission, it will be a painful four years waiting to hear from an OCS board.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I will reiterate that if OP gets good grades in college, then he will eventually get an OCS slot. If he does not get good grades, then he won't be eligible for an NROTC scholarship, either. The bottom line, OP, is you'll need to do well in college to keep doors open for you.

Some of you make it sound like pilot OCS slots are going to possibly vanish in 6 years, which isn't true. It's a fairly safe bet that, all else being equal, if OP does well enough in college to earn an NROTC scholarship, that he also will have the academic credentials to eventually get selected for OCS. It may take a year or two and some persistence, but it will happen.

There are significant differences between officer communities in the Navy, including quality of life, time spent underway, and what you actually do on a daily basis, so there's nothing wrong with OP desiring a pilot job or nothing.

The real decision point for OP is whether he wants to forego scholarship money to ensure that he will get a pilot slot when he commits to serving in the Navy, or is financing college worth the possibility of going NFO, SWO, or subs?

RiseR 25

I know that as a junior in high school I knew very little about the Navy (not from a Navy town, not from a Navy family). All I know about it is research I've done on my own and what I've learned in my OCS application process. However, I went from a "pilot or bust" mentality and now have the ultimate goal of earning a commission. If you're committed to becoming a naval aviator at this point in your life, that's great but do your homework and try to learn a bit about other jobs and what the Navy does as a whole. Part of the reason I originally only wanted pilot was that I simply didn't know that much about the Navy and aviation always interested me.

I was very fortunate to get picked up for pilot for OCS and am extremely excited for the road ahead. However, it's been said, there's no telling how competitive slots will be once you graduate and even if you get picked up for pilot, you may get medically DQ'd at OCS (something I'm still nervous as hell about). Would you be ok with doing another job or would you go home at that point? If you think you'd be content doing something else and determine that earning your commission is the ultimate goal, absolutely go with NROTC. If your ultimate goal is to serve and earn a commission, it will be a painful four years waiting to hear from an OCS board.

Couldn't have said it better... I was also in the "pilot or bust" boat but after the entire application process, I realized that it's about being a Naval Officer and not only about being a Naval Aviator. OCS screens you for your commitment to being an Officer before you get to your first designator school.

RiseR 25

Funny I said such a thing in post #19, I would have never imagined that. Maybe I've had a drink of the kool aid.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
In hind sight, if I could have done it again I would have done NROTC or the Naval Academy. Ultimately, a lot of it doesn't matter as all tracks lead to becoming a Naval Officer. However, there is a substantial financial advantage to going to NROTC or the Academy. Although I am Professionally Recommended to be a Student Naval Aviator through OCS, I would have loved to have the opportunity to get into the Academy. Just my 2 cents
Would you be saying this if you got 'drafted' sub nuke and got 5 hours a sleep in 2 days time because you're doing vulcans for an ORSE workup so you can practice making announcements on a microphone for a pretend engineering casualty and approving fake tagouts, and you were unlucky enough to have the mid-watch before they started? Because that really has absolutely nothing to do with what aviators do and saying 'officer first' means you don't really know what that actually means.
OCS screens you for your commitment to being an Officer before you get to your first designator school
OCS does not screen you for anything. Your application goes to a board comprised of senior officers from the communities you apply to who accept/reject you directly into/from that community. When you applied for pilot, you got screened for pilot, not 'generic officer.' If for whatever reason you cannot fulfill your commitment as an aviator, you will either be sent home or you can apply to lat xfer.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agree with the above. You want to go helos... fine but that opportunity will be decided some 6 yeas down the road. Prioritize: You need to start setting yourself up for a successful board approval for a NA slot.

1. GPA: can't over state the importance of the cumulative GPA for any Naval Officer program. You have what appears to be a good HS GPA (is that 4.05 on a 5.0 scale)? Try your best to attain & maintain the highest GPA regardless of Program/Univ. or USNA/Major. This may stunt your college night life, but it's
a matter of priorities!

2. Keep clear of law violations. DUI, ARI (Alcohol Related Incidents), DRUG use, and most other law violations are difficult to waiver, and probably deal-breakers before a selection board. It is imperative that you answer application arrest & conviction questions truthfully. With the personal data available to investigators today, if you lie or omit, they will probably catch it, then game over!:eek:

3. You'll have plenty of time before you put in your first application package. Start building it now by volunteering in public service (leadership) positions i.e., tutoring/mentoring, college activities/clubs/sports, Cub/Boy Scout leaders, Camp counselors, all types of volunteerism are a nice package addition. Be sure to document these activities for later inclusion.

4. Get/stay physically fit.

Later on toward the end of college, you can concentrate on OAR/ASTB studying (guides, gouge, & practice tests), and LORs/motivational statements. It is wise to plan the future, but don't spend so much time there that you stumble over the obstacles of the present/near future.

Good luck on your quest to join us, and become a Naval Officer.:)
BzB

exNavyOffRec

OCS does not screen you for anything. Your application goes to a board comprised of senior officers from the communities you apply to who accept/reject you directly into/from that community. When you applied for pilot, you got screened for pilot, not 'generic officer.' If for whatever reason you cannot fulfill your commitment as an aviator, you will either be sent home or you can apply to lat xfer.

almost, when it comes to Pilot/NFO/SWO there may or may not be someone from that community on the board, the senior member is a person who is at NRC, they are generally HR officers and they may or may not have experience in that community, the other 2 members again may or may not have experience in the community, often it is "who is available", the other boards outside Pilot/NFO/SWO are indeed comprised of officers from that community.

exNavyOffRec

I will reiterate that if OP gets good grades in college, then he will eventually get an OCS slot. If he does not get good grades, then he won't be eligible for an NROTC scholarship, either. The bottom line, OP, is you'll need to do well in college to keep doors open for you.

Some of you make it sound like pilot OCS slots are going to possibly vanish in 6 years, which isn't true. It's a fairly safe bet that, all else being equal, if OP does well enough in college to earn an NROTC scholarship, that he also will have the academic credentials to eventually get selected for OCS. It may take a year or two and some persistence, but it will happen.

There are significant differences between officer communities in the Navy, including quality of life, time spent underway, and what you actually do on a daily basis, so there's nothing wrong with OP desiring a pilot job or nothing.

The real decision point for OP is whether he wants to forego scholarship money to ensure that he will get a pilot slot when he commits to serving in the Navy, or is financing college worth the possibility of going NFO, SWO, or subs?

So very well said, I have worked with officers who went NROTC and didn't get what they really wanted, and I have worked with officers who went through OCS who wished they had their college paid for.

If the OP will be happy being a USN officer in ANY community then I would recommend applying for a NROTC scholarship and taking it if selected, if the OP will only be happy with Pilot, well then do well in college and apply for OCS.

RiseR 25

Would you be saying this if you got 'drafted' sub nuke and got 5 hours a sleep in 2 days time because you're doing vulcans for an ORSE workup so you can practice making announcements on a microphone for a pretend engineering casualty and approving fake tagouts, and you were unlucky enough to have the mid-watch before they started? Because that really has absolutely nothing to do with what aviators do and saying 'officer first' means you don't really know what that actually means.

I might be ok with going into another community actually, considering what I understand now about the medical screening process for Aviation and that a change may be presented to me at OCS. I'm not trying to say I understand everything now in terms of the "Officer first" phrase, you know it better than I do. What I was trying to communicate was that an applicant's goal at OCS is to become a Naval Officer, which is on some level a screening process.

NavySquid26

PRO-REC Y Supply June 2013
OCS is a screening process, as is enlisted boot camp. None of us who attend OCS are officers until we graduate and we all have the opportunity to DOR at any time. If you can't handle the pressure then leave. In that sense I would agree that we are all screened there. Also, I would suggest that although each respective board screens you for that particular designator, it wouldnt be out of the question for them to consider how each person will perform as a Naval Officer first and an aviator/supply officer/swo second...not saying that's how it is, it just wouldn't be absurd for them to go about it in that way...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What I was trying to communicate was that an applicant's goal at OCS is to become a Naval Officer, which is on some level a screening process.
In reality, the entire program... from first application, through designation (wings), is a screening/sorting process. The bulk of the sorting goes through primary, after that just tweaking/fine tuning.:)
BzB

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
... When you applied for pilot, you got screened for pilot, not 'generic officer.' If for whatever reason you cannot fulfill your commitment as an aviator, you will either be sent home or you can apply to lat xfer.
Not true in the sense that as best as can be done with the application before them the board does make a determination about every applicant's basic officer potential. If you fly like Charles Lindbergh but they don't think you are officer material you won't get the job. Officer first, designator second, whether the board has representatives from the designator applied for or not. No point in having a great pilot if he is a crappy officer who allows his division to go to hell.

Sean Fox

Wow thank you everyone for those responses even though I have no idea what some of you are talking about. One of my dad's friends worked with marine recon in the late 70's and another was a seal during the 70's and both graduated from UMASS NROTC (I think). They said getting college paid for with a job was awesome even than. Now I could have college paid for, a job that I love, whether or not I get pilot, and some great pickup lines (kidding about the last one... kind of). Its definitely better than no job, 100K in debut and not being allowed to go fast. Thanks again.

Sean Fox

Also if it helps I've been the president of a couple clubs and the captain of the JV baseball team, for the guy that was asking about getting into clubs and sports (I don't knowhow to quote)