• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC, Navy options versus Marine option

JasonGrissino

I am currently a junior in high school. I am working hard towards making myself appealing to the NROTC selection board. I aspire to one day become a pilot.I have read books about the navy and marine corps ROTC and have done a lot of research.

My one question right now is should i do Navy option or Marine option? Is the aviation community in the marines harder to get into as apposed to the Navy?

Any help would be much appreciated as I will be filling out my application on the near future.

Deere1450

pilot
Don't pick Navy or Marine Corps based on how difficult it is for a pilot slot. Ask yourself this question...If for whatever reason you do not get selected or cannot become a pilot, what is Plan B? If you have done a lot of research, I'm sure you are considering one more than the other. Which best suits you?

I'm sure some a good ol' salt will respond with some better advice than this, but Plan B is something you MUST consider.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I am currently a junior in high school. I am working hard towards making myself appealing to the NROTC selection board. I aspire to one day become a pilot.I have read books about the navy and marine corps ROTC and have done a lot of research.

My one question right now is should i do Navy option or Marine option? Is the aviation community in the marines harder to get into as apposed to the Navy?

You're going to get dog-piled for not using the search function as this topic has been discussed many times before, and your post is full of basic errors (syntax, grammar, capitalization, not to mention that nothing happens ON the future, but in the future...)
Fix yourself, search the forums, and don't make these errors when filling out your college applications. You won't get in if you do.

ROTC is a means to an end. Do you want to be a Navy Officer or a Marine Officer? If you go Navy and you don't get a SNA slot, are you okay with going SWO? If you go Marine and don't get an air contract are you okay going ground? It comes down to the service. Do you want to join the Marines or the Navy? I went into NROTC as a Navy option and later switched to Marine option so I understand that it can be a difficult decision. You are just a junior so you have time. Keep working hard, get good grades, stay fit, and keep reading.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
ROTC is a means to an end. Do you want to be a Navy Officer or a Marine Officer? If you go Navy and you don't get a SNA slot, are you okay with going SWO? If you go Marine and don't get an air contract are you okay going ground? It comes down to the service. Do you want to join the Marines or the Navy? I went into NROTC as a Navy option and later switched to Marine option so I understand that it can be a difficult decision. You are just a junior so you have time. Keep working hard, get good grades, stay fit, and keep reading.

It's... it's like this question has been answered a thousand times before and you have a canned response! Oh, wait... that's it exactly.

To all the prospective NROTC/CanoeU/OCS kids, take CW's advice to heart. Don't come and ask what we think you should do; sack up and do what you want to do. The people on this board are here to give advice and pass knowledge along, not make decisions for you.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do, as long as it's what you want.

MasterBates

The true question you must ask yourself:

"Can I handle fighting a lava monster"

lavamonster1.jpg

HueyHornet75

pilot
Master, good one.
While we're slaying imaginary Lava monsters and Taliban shitheads
050509_marinesVests_hmed_4p.h2.jpg

big Navy is looking sharp...
new_usn_uniform.jpg

MasterBates

Remember, WE (Naval Aviation) did not want that AFUCKINGBOMINFUCKINGATION.

That was strictly a SWOrrior gig. You can thank high ranking SWOs for that piece of shit and the death of AWGs. And us having to all wear one T-shirt color with standardized patches (without the ability to wear in town like USAF)

BigRed389

None
Remember, WE (Naval Aviation) did not want that AFUCKINGBOMINFUCKINGATION.

That was strictly a SWOrrior gig. You can thank high ranking SWOs for that piece of shit and the death of AWGs. And us having to all wear one T-shirt color with standardized patches (without the ability to wear in town like USAF)

There were no aviation reps on TFU?

And if so, I blame you for lack of participation.