• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Midshipmen Past or Present

Status
Not open for further replies.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
BYPASS

If you want to go to a regular college and do NROTC, make you sure join a regular NROTC unit. Trust me, I thought that all the structure of an academy etc would be great...but I've seen the other side of life...and it is good. I HIGHLY reccommend going a normal college route. Just my $.02 though. Good luck.

Nozeman

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Graduated from Worcester Polytechnic Institute, NROTC Unit was The College of the Holy Cross. In my opinion it is one of the best in the country, just from meeting other NROTC across the country. We tended to be more disciplined, professional, and motivated. Our battalion was only 100 people across three school, so you knew everyone, which was nice. There was the typical NROTC bull****, i.e. do ridiculous things that take up too much time, deal with Marines trying to run the unit, etc. But in reality, it was a great experience. We had a great staff, Navy and Marine.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA NROTC

I have been awawy too long from UF NROTC to have any up to date info, maybe another UF NROTC MIDN can respond to that.

The big plus, is that UF is a big aviation powerhouse, with regards to selection. Just like Auburn is for Nukes. Both the CO and XO of the unit are Aviation, and there is a lot of emphasis on aviation as a career choice so you won't be lacking for any information.

Not to mention that UF is a great school to go to!

CONS: As mentioned above, putting up with some of the pain of being a MIDN, and the Marine side of the house if that isn't your thing.

Hey zak how ya been?

I'll back up what he says about Cornell's unit. We're really small but that's not necessarily a bad thing. We also don't do the usual grunt crap a lot of units do(at the Citadel they make money doing their weekly parades, some schools do parking during sports events, etc). We just have one big fundraising drill comp. so you can just put out for one weekend and focus on studying/anything else you'd like the rest of the year.

What zak said about or engr. program is right, it's highly rated, but it's a real bear(aha get it, "bear?"-sorry Cornell inside joke). You'll be happy to get anything above a 3.0 GPA. However, I've heard just about anyone who wants aviation here gets it. However, we don't seem to have that many engineers...

monkey2

Having been commissioned from Tulane NROTC, I WOULD recommend it. Since I began my career, I have met people who have come from ROTC units all over the country and for the most part, they are all extraordinary people. I think it is important for you to choose a school to attend based on the school, and then the NROTC unit, and not vice versa. You should choose a school and unit that will allow you to develop as a person. I've noticed that people that come from schools with a Corps of Cadets, or schools with extremely strict ROTC units tend to have more trouble transitioning to life in the REAL Navy, as well as life in general.

confused_pilot

Mid in University of Illinois, its #3 in the country for engineering. Its a great campus, PT 2/3 a week, and like before the marine side of the house. They think they own the place, but if you can turn a deaf ear, I wouldnt trade it for the world.

usanavypilot

Definitely go to George Washington University. The unit is large, there is a lot of diversity, and you get to live in DC where there is so much going on on the military side of the house. Also, you get a $40,000/year education for free!!!
ex-GW NROTC MIDN

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
Current 4/C Midshipman at Georgia Tech.The key to Georgia Tech is time management, because the coursework is often ridiculously demanding.

Good: respected degree, great location (midtown Atlanta), smart students, easy to get involved on campus, tradition (one of the six original NROTC units in the U.S.)

Cons : only 28 percent girls...

Now as far as ROTC goes (and I'm sure it's like this at many other units) you really need to be able to motivate yourself. Nobody is going to be pushing and nudging you to get your work done, stay in shape, and be involved in the unit. It's simply expected that you perform well.

beau

OU! OU! OU!......."sooner born, sooner bred. when I die I'm sooner dead........yada yada whatever!" I went to OU coming from Montana and got a wonderfull BS in Aviation.

Pros: Aviation is a degree (if that is your bag, which I assume thats why your on airwarriors), Football team has been top five for last four years..B-Ball not bad either....beating up on Texas for 4 straight years....beautifull Women

Cons: Norman is too close to OKC to have its own night life, but too far away from OKC to be convinent. Bible belt conservitism.....I am conservitive but come on people relax! Women are mostly Daddys Girl Sorority types who dont date out side of the Greek system (mostly)....and OU is Very Greek (cause what else is there in OK)

I went to OU because of the Aviation/NROTC program which not too many Universities have.....Great place to learn to fly (3rd busiest airport in the state (OUN), 2miles south of OKC class C airspace, FAA is based in OKC, all civialian ratings and instructor rating if you so disire.)

BYPASS

Hey Viv! Are you still waiting to hear from the USNA or have you already received a LOA? I'm still waiting to hear from the NA and GaTech. They said I should know something by March 15th.

BYPASS

jbe120- Man, May 30th is awfully late to get a scholarship! They should know that most colleges have a deadline of May 1st. That's totally unfair. I have told all the colleges I applied to that I would be attending in the fall (there's a place on the apps for it), but I sure hope they don't wait till the end of May to send mine - IF I get one! Some people have said that they received theirs in November. I applied early (like Sept.) so I'm not sure what's going on.

Thanks for the NROTC info guys! I'll let you know how things go after visiting in next several weeks.

snizo

Supply Officer
I'd have to agree with Pags about Georgia Tech. We have an outstanding engineering program (three of our programs are ranked in the top five nationally, nine are ranked single digits) and a unit that was among the first created by the Navy. We are a decently sized unit (about 100 Midshipmen) with mandatory PT once a week (3x if you don't pass our standards on the PFA), and no study hours unless you are doing poorly in class.

(As for women at GT -- yes the school is only 30% women, but this is Atlanta. In the unlikely event that you can't find someone on campus, there are 400 million other people in this city to meet.)

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
My advice would be to first find a college that you want to go to that is a decent distance from your home. Pick by school first, worry about the NROTC after that. But go to Purdue!!!!

Spitfire

When I applied for a scholarship last year, I did not find out if I was awarded the scholarship or not until around the end of May. I took a risk and went ahead and accepted at the school I wanted to go to. I got lucky and was selected for a scholarship. You should have a decent idea of what your chances of getting the scholarship are based on your stats, and you have to make yoru decision from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.