• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Marine Option without Scholarship

trh21

I have a few questions regarding entering NROTC as a Marine Option without a scholarship.

I'm currently a freshman attending a junior college. I intend to transfer to Texas A&M after two to four semesters. I plan on majoring in International Studies with a specialty in North Africa and Middle East with Arabic to satisfy the foreign language requirement.

I've done some research but I'm still not entirely clear on how I would enter the ROTC program. If I apply, am I applying to enter the program itself or for a scholarship with that program? If a scholarship is not needed to enter NROTC, would I need to compete for a Marine Option slot or could I seek commission as a Marine Option cadet without a scholarship regardless of whether or not any application I submit is selected?

Hawk12

None
You would enter the program as a Navy college programer. Though would most likely do everything all of the Marine Options do, though that is all up to the MOI. The unit sends packets for scholarship selection and once you get a scholarship you become a Marine Option. We've had a few people not get scholarships and end up doing programs like PLC for their last two years instead. I think there is such thing as an advanced standing Marine Option, but I'm not entirely sure as I've never met one but it is mentioned on the NROTC website.

The best thing to do would be to get in contact with the NROTC unit at A&M since all units handle things differently, I will say that your chances for a scholarship increase significantly the earlier you transfer.

cameron172

pilot
You would enter the program as a Navy college programer. Though would most likely do everything all of the Marine Options do, though that is all up to the MOI. The unit sends packets for scholarship selection and once you get a scholarship you become a Marine Option. We've had a few people not get scholarships and end up doing programs like PLC for their last two years instead. I think there is such thing as an advanced standing Marine Option, but I'm not entirely sure as I've never met one but it is mentioned on the NROTC website.

We have Marine Option CPers who do everything the Marine Options Mids do, but there is no advanced standing for the Marine side. You must be picked up for a Marine scholarship to remain in NROTC and commission.

OP, the Navy has the LREC (Language Skills, Regional Expertise, and Cultural Awareness) scholarship program that's seperate from the regular 2 or 4 year scholarships. I'd look into that with your major. Everything you're asking about differes slightly from unit to unit, so to echo Hawk, contact the MOI and they'll outline exactly what you need to do and how things work.

I've known several NROTC midshipman who attended PLC juniors in order to pick up a scholarship for Marine option. It's apparently an almost guaranteed way of getting a scholarship if one doesn't already have one because it shows the level of commitment you have to being a Marine. So I would also look into getting into contact with an OSO to talk about the PLC program.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are stepping into the university as a Junior, you must be on Advanced Standing or on a Scholarship to play Navy or Marine. The Marine Option CP students to which cameron172 refers are Freshmen and Sophomores. As a non-scholarship "college program" student, you have to compete for a scholarship in order to make it past your sophomore year. Like he said, the earlier you transfer in, the higher chance you have in earning a scholarship. Contact the NROTC recruiting officer at Texas A&M to get the specifics.

-ea6bflyr ;)

flyDC2011

We have Marine Option CPers who do everything the Marine Options Mids do, but there is no advanced standing for the Marine side. You must be picked up for a Marine scholarship to remain in NROTC and commission.

OP, the Navy has the LREC (Language Skills, Regional Expertise, and Cultural Awareness) scholarship program that's seperate from the regular 2 or 4 year scholarships. I'd look into that with your major. Everything you're asking about differes slightly from unit to unit, so to echo Hawk, contact the MOI and they'll outline exactly what you need to do and how things work.

At our school, we had MO's with Advanced Standing. You apply for the scholarship and then the board can offer it. It's the same thing as the Navy Advanced Standing, and you are required to do all the same things as scholarship MO's. Basically, you get a stipend and attend OCS and commission with everybody else just without the tuition benefits of a scholarship.