• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC majors at the San Diego schools

Chris94

CWO selected
I'm hoping to get into NROTC at either UCSD or SDSU. I'm leaning toward an oceanography/geophysics major but whenever I search for the schools accepted majors, they never have them. I've already seen the Tier 1 and 2 majors on the NROTC website, so does anyone know what the approved majors for the San Diego schools are?

Renegade One

None
I'm hoping to get into NROTC at either UCSD or SDSU. I'm leaning toward an oceanography/geophysics major but whenever I search for the schools accepted majors, they never have them. I've already seen the Tier 1 and 2 majors on the NROTC website, so does anyone know what the approved majors for the San Diego schools are?
Well, here's some skinny right off of the San Diego NROTC FAQ web page:

Q: If I have an NROTC Scholarship am I restricted on what my major can be? Do I have to take certain classes for NROTC?
A: Scholarship and College Program students are allowed to major in any academic field that will grant them a Bachelors degree. Scholarship midshipman must, in addition to fulfilling their degree requirements, complete one year of calculus, one year of physics, one year of English, a semester of Computer Science, and a semester of American History. They are also required to take one Naval Science class per semester. College Program Midshipman that will commission with Advance Standing are required to take a semester of College Algebra, Physical Science, Computer Science, and one year of English. They are also required to take one Naval Science class every semester.
Q: What academic standards are there for NROTC Scholarship and College Program Midshipman?
A: Scholarship and College Program Midshipman must maintain a 2.5 Grade Point Average on a 4.0 scale, have no failing grades in any subject required for their major or commissioning, progress on a prescribed timeline for graduation, and have a full academic load every semester (15-18 units).

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Look at the majors those schools offer, then see if they're on the list. Simple.

Renegade One

None
No, not simple when the majors for schools vary, at least the non engineering majors :/
Chris94: You are making this WAAAAY too hard. We want you…we need you…do the homework and figure it out...

Here's the website, since you clearly didn't believe anything I posted earlier...
http://www.sandiego.edu/nrotc/students/faq.php

Now quit telling us how hard it is to figure out…:
1. It isn't.
2. Everyone else has.
3. You can too.
4. Just do it.
5. Good luck in all things.

Chris94

CWO selected
Chris94: You are making this WAAAAY too hard. We want you…we need you…do the homework and figure it out...

Here's the website, since you clearly didn't believe anything I posted earlier...
http://www.sandiego.edu/nrotc/students/faq.php

Now quit telling us how hard it is to figure out…:
1. It isn't.
2. Everyone else has.
3. You can too.
4. Just do it.
5. Good luck in all things.
Oh no I believe you, I just was confused on whether or not I needed to take a certain major if I am accepted with a scholarship. Thanks for the help!:D

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh no I believe you, I just was confused on whether or not I needed to take a certain major if I am accepted with a scholarship. Thanks for the help!:D
The Navy cares not which degree you get....they'd prefer a technical degree, hence the different tier levels, BUT you will have to take two years of CALC and PHYSICS as part of your degree plan (NROTC scholarship requirement). Good luck and have fun!

-ea6bflyr ;)

Renegade One

None
Okay…I obviously need to dumb this conversation down a bit. Don't ask me why...

Here's the telephone number for "Everything You Want to Ask" for the San Diego NROTC folks:

(619) 260-4811. No kidding…I promise…they will not lie to you.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The Navy cares not which degree you get....they'd prefer a technical degree, hence the different tier levels, BUT you will have to take two years of CALC and PHYSICS as part of your degree plan (NROTC scholarship requirement). Good luck and have fun!

-ea6bflyr ;)

Just a quick correction... two semesters (or one year) of Calc and same-same for physics.

Renegade One

None

-ea6bflyr ;)
I would guess the Nav would be delighted with an Oceanography/Geo-Physics kind of Midshipman...