• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS NROTC getting more flexible/easier?

Renegade One

None
Too many parents are unintentionally disqualifying their young kids with this stuff at an early age. Probably reasonable to waive a lot of such cases that have no "adult issues".

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Too many parents are unintentionally disqualifying their young kids with this stuff at an early age. Probably reasonable to waive a lot of such cases that have no "adult issues".

Future eligibility for the military really isn't on any parents radar when their kid gets a diagnosis/treatment that will disqualify them from service 10-15 years from then.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Future eligibility for the military really isn't on any parents radar when their kid gets a diagnosis/treatment that will disqualify them from service 10-15 years from then.
But just because you took Adderall has a kid doesn't mean it's disqualifying you from being a pilot or acommissioned officer right?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But just because you took Adderall has a kid doesn't mean it's disqualifying you from being a pilot or acommissioned officer right?

I have seen way too many folks come on here with med questions about how they were diagnosed with condition X, got medicine Y or was treated once for Z 5-10 years ago and now are disqualified from service or have to go through a lot of hoops to get a waiver to think that there isn't an issue. The military is a big bureaucracy and there have to be pretty high standards but having seen it plenty of times here I have to think that some relaxation of certain medical standards is not unreasonable.

The irony is that I have known plenty of folks who probably should have or would have been diagnosed with X, Y or Z but are/were in the military because they never were.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Well if you did say take Ritalin in elementary school and not in High school, you have perfectly fine "Plausible Deniability" from entering it on your commissioning and flight school forms... IMHO

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well if you did say take Ritalin in elementary school and not in High school, you have perfectly fine "Plausible Deniability" from entering it on your commissioning and flight school forms... IMHO
So you're recommending that people be deceitful and commit fraud. Great plan. IMHO, your HO sucks... a lot.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There has to be some reasonable accommodation to the mores of modern society and medicine, especially in regards to psychiatric treatment and prescriptions. This is true for NROTC and beyond, to include security clearances, flight physicals, etc.

One, for better or worse, they're prescribed far more often than before, from the juvenile level (where the individual has little choice anyway) to adult.

Two, we can't publicly say,"Seek help if you need it," and "It takes strength to admit you have a problem," then permanently hose people for seeking help. The requirements should allow for updated diagnosis of "no current issues."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There has to be some reasonable accommodation to the mores of modern society and medicine
There is - It's called the waiver process. For most things like this, if you've been off meds for a period of time (usually 1 year), are symptom free, and have been evaluated by the appropriate medical professionals, the waiver process works just fine.

The threads of AW are replete with examples of this. I'm not sure why it's all of a sudden an issue in this thread. Am I missing something?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is - It's called the waiver process. For most things like this, if you've been off meds for a period of time (usually 1 year), are symptom free, and have been evaluated by the appropriate medical professionals, the waiver process works just fine.

The threads of AW are replete with examples of this. I'm not sure why it's all of a sudden an issue in this thread. Am I missing something?

There are plenty of examples where folks got waivers but also plenty where they didn't. Even when folks did it seemed to be a much too lengthy process in many cases, I can imagine there are plenty who just give up. We were fortunate enough to get in, I know plenty who had the desire but were not able to join.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are plenty of examples where folks got waivers but also plenty where they didn't. Even when folks did it seemed to be a much too lengthy process in many cases, I can imagine there are plenty who just give up. We were fortunate enough to get in, I know plenty who had the desire but were not able to join.
I suspect that those who didn't get in weren't being honest with themselves about their conditions and didn't meet the aforementioned requirements. I'd love to have one of the flight docs chime in here for their perspective. Why would they keep otherwise qualified people out if they were off meds and asymptomatic? Doing otherwise doesn't make any sense. My educated guess is that it happens very rarely.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I suspect that those who didn't get in weren't being honest with themselves about their conditions and didn't meet the aforementioned requirements. I'd love to have one of the flight docs chime in here for their perspective. Why would they keep otherwise qualified people out if they were off meds and asymptomatic? Doing otherwise doesn't make any sense. My educated guess is that it happens very rarely.

Well, the SECDEF is concerned about it....