• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC for Naval Aviation at (preferably) San Diego State University

Zac Wherry

I'm a sophomore in high school, and my dream is to be a naval aviator. I'm not to interested in going to the academy, as I want to experience the university life, and I hear NROTC is a bit easier. I saw on the navy's website that SDSU supports the NROTC program, and was wondering if it would be a good thing to try to get into that school since its so close to north island, miramar, and all those naval aviation training places and bases.Will that help my chances of being accepted into NROTC since I'd be in such a prime location? And also, do family links (my uncle flies air force one) help to get accepted into the program?

Thanks for the help!

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I hear NROTC is a bit easier. I saw on the navy's website that SDSU supports the NROTC program, and was wondering if it would be a good thing to try to get into that school since its so close to north island, miramar, and all those naval aviation training places and bases.Will that help my chances of being accepted into NROTC since I'd be in such a prime location?
Thanks for the help!

Classic!

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
I'm a sophomore in high school, and my dream is to be a naval aviator. I'm not to interested in going to the academy, as I want to experience the university life, and I hear NROTC is a bit easier. I saw on the navy's website that SDSU supports the NROTC program, and was wondering if it would be a good thing to try to get into that school since its so close to north island, miramar, and all those naval aviation training places and bases.Will that help my chances of being accepted into NROTC since I'd be in such a prime location? And also, do family links (my uncle flies air force one) help to get accepted into the program?

Thanks for the help!

The short answer is no, being located near NASNI or MCAS Miramar will not help you get accepted into aviation anymore than going to school at Harvard will. Your chance of getting aviation is as good or bad as your academic and military performance, nothing more. You can put a preference for where you want to go, but you must also get into the school you're interested in.

Having those aviation resources nearby might be helpful, but I can't imagine how beyond the occasional visit during Lead Lab or getting summer training near your ROTC location, but truthfully, summer cruise didn't help much in my experience.

Hope that helps.

cameron172

pilot

Thanks for the help!

I don't believe NROTC to be any easier than other commissioning sources. They all have their own perks and challenges. Having "typical college" roomates who constantly drink and smoke and rarely sleep before 5am while you have to get up at 0430 for PT makes for a long four years.

Zac Wherry

The short answer is no, being located near NASNI or MCAS Miramar will not help you get accepted into aviation anymore than going to school at Harvard will. Your chance of getting aviation is as good or bad as your academic and military performance, nothing more. You can put a preference for where you want to go, but you must also get into the school you're interested in.

Having those aviation resources nearby might be helpful, but I can't imagine how beyond the occasional visit during Lead Lab or getting summer training near your ROTC location, but truthfully, summer cruise didn't help much in my experience.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the help. I guess I thought it would be easier, but I guess I was wrong. It's still the direction I want to take though.

Zac Wherry

Supposedly I was wrong about it being "easier". Let me correct myself. Military life is definitely not easy, academy, enlisting, or NROTC, I just want to do NROTC because that's what I want to do. I would have said that earlier, but I didn't know what I was talking about.

es101js

pilot
Well......that was a good joke but that post was not spam. I'm just a misinformed teenager who thought NROTC was easy. My mistake.

The search function will fix this problem. Im surprised i am the first one to mention it.

getswole0763

I go to University of San Diego and the NROTC unit is based here. SDSU is a crosstown affiliate as they come here to train. If you are a Marine Option, it will not be easy. I made a post a few days ago about the exact schedule in another NROTC thread. For the record though, yes, the facilities are awesome. As a Marine Option we go to MCRD at least once a week to train, as well as Mirimar for humps. We also goto Pendleton for humps as well. Most all of the unit as far as USMC goes are MECEPS, so it is very valuable to learn from them. If you were to choose a school to do nrotc at, University of San Diego (or the crosstown affiliates i.e. SDSU UCSD and CSUSM) is the one to do it at.

As for now, all i can tell you is to pt and get good grades to get that scholarship. good luck buddy

if you have any more specific questions shoot me an email at csyrowik@yahoo.com

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Your chance of getting aviation is as good or bad as your academic and military performance, nothing more.

Well lets not for get the caveat to all things... "the NEEDS OF THE NAVY"

But Oasis is right, any ROTC unit will set you up to perform and get an aviation spot if they are available and you have performed in school and at your unit.

There are a million ways to get on the path to wings... Academy, ROTC, OCS/BDCP, and all have advantages / disadvantages. I did ROTC and if thats the way you want to go I wont discourage you... but make sure you know ALL your options. The academy gets a lot of the spotlight, and OCS / BDCP usually get left by the way side. You're young enough and have plenty of time to make your decisions. If I were you I would apply to all the programs you are eligible for. Even the Academy. If you get an appointment you can always turn it down, and they will give it to someone on the wait list.

I know guys that got into USNA that didnt get ROTC scholarships... Not often does that happen, but it does. USNA wasnt their first choice, but it got them on the path... and thats all a commissioning source is... a path to something else... flight school, nuke school, TBS, and god forbid.... A surface ship.