• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC College Program as a Reservist?

jsm147

Good evening gentletmen,

I am currently in the process of joining a NROTC unit and my CO said I cannot be a drilling reservist while in one. I called the National Helpdesk and spoke with a Lieutenant which said the same. I have been reading up on the Regulations for Officer Development (NSTCINST 1533.2A) and found one paragraph (pg.6-16, #3) that states:

"Reservists must be released from their present enlistment contract and enlist under the provisions of the NROTC Program to facilitate Scholarship or College Program (Advanced Standing) enrollment. They may be enrolled as Naval Science students pending release from obligation, provided they are fully qualified and have been accepted into the institution they are authorized to attend. The NROTC unit shall obtain a Request for Conditional Release DD Form 368 prior to allowing the student to sign an Enlistment/Reenlistment Agreement DD Form 4/1."

What I understood from this was I have to leave my reserve obligation when I get paid (i.e. advanced standing or scholarship) and basic standing in the college program isn't mentioned so I assumed I would still drill. Is my interpretation wrong? The NROTC unit has never dealt with this sort of situation and I'd honestly like to keep some sort of income if I'm paying school out of pocket. Thank you very much.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't have any instructions in front of me, so I can only answer based off what you've posted. That said, this:

Reservists must be released from their present enlistment contract and enlist under the provisions of the NROTC Program to facilitate Scholarship or College Program (Advanced Standing) enrollment.

...by definition means you're no longer drilling with your unit and are instead operating under the ROTC unit. Also, because you're "released" (according to what you've quoted), you no longer can drill as a SELRES, since you don't have a unit to drill with. CP is a weird animal, so not really sure where that puts you legally other than the instruction you've quoted. However, once officially a Scholarship recipient, you are IRR and therefore can't drill as a SELRES. It does beg the question as to whether you could still earn points while on scholarship, but I have a feeling they've got something to cover that, as well.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What I understood from this was I have to leave my reserve obligation when I get paid (i.e. advanced standing or scholarship) and basic standing in the college program isn't mentioned so I assumed I would still drill. Is my interpretation wrong? The NROTC unit has never dealt with this sort of situation and I'd honestly like to keep some sort of income if I'm paying school out of pocket. Thank you very much.

Yes, if you are a college program student, you can be a drilling reservist. It's not recommended, but you can do it. Once you accept a scholarship or advanced standing, then you can no longer do the reservist gig.

-ea6bflyr ;)

sickboy

pilot
Yes, if you are a college program student, you can be a drilling reservist. It's not recommended, but you can do it. Once you accept a scholarship or advanced standing, then you can no longer do the reservist gig.

-ea6bflyr ;)

This, keep both commands aware of your situation as well.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

-ea6bflyr ;)

-1 for my reading comprehension. I missed the "(Advanced Standing)" part of the CP quote.

This would be kind of weird, but I guess when you think about it, the two systems don't really talk to one another so it should work from an admin point of view.

jsm147

-ea6bflyr ;)

Why is it not recommended? Is their anything else you know of which can help me understand better, sir?

-1 for my reading comprehension. I missed the "(Advanced Standing)" part of the CP quote.

This would be kind of weird, but I guess when you think about it, the two systems don't really talk to one another so it should work from an admin point of view.

That's how I understood it as well. I will contact the NROTC helpdesk with the new information and see if I get a different answer this time. I have a feeling they don't quite understand how the process works either; and of course, I will post the results here.

jsm147

Just called the helpdesk, and I can still stay in the reserves while in CP. Also contacted my unit and the NROTC unit and gave the new info. Thank you for the help gentlemen, it was greatly appreciated.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why is it not recommended? Is their anything else you know of which can help me understand better, sir?

Boils down to time requirements.
If you are taking 15 credits in one semester, then you'll be sitting in class 15 hours a week and you'll be expected to do about 2 hours of homework/reading per credit hour (to get an A in the class) so that's an additional 30 hours per week. NROTC will add anywhere from 15-30 hours per week of time.

That's a busy schedule....60+ hours per week of commitment. That's a FULL TIME job. Add in the hours for RESERVIST drilling 1-weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer....you will be stretched thin throughout the school year.

You can do it, but in the end, something has to give....hopefully not your grades.

Just some friendly advice from a guy that used to mentor and teach NROTC.

-ea6bflyr ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really?! What the hell did you all do for 10-25 hours a week outside the classroom?
I'm speaking from my experience as an NROTC instructor.
Each week:
-2 hours PT
-2 hours Drill/Lab
-Drill team 2 hours (3 times a week) or other clubs/activities (2-4 hours)
-Study Hall 10-15 hours (All Freshmen & all with < 2.5 GPA previous semester)

Each NROTC is different and YMMMV.

Most students don't understand the time vortex that NROTC can be...

-ea6bflyr ;)

jsm147

Boils down to time requirements.
If you are taking 15 credits in one semester, then you'll be sitting in class 15 hours a week and you'll be expected to do about 2 hours of homework/reading per credit hour (to get an A in the class) so that's an additional 30 hours per week. NROTC will add anywhere from 15-30 hours per week of time.

That's a busy schedule....60+ hours per week of commitment. That's a FULL TIME job. Add in the hours for RESERVIST drilling 1-weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer....you will be stretched thin throughout the school year.

You can do it, but in the end, something has to give....hopefully not your grades.

Just some friendly advice from a guy that used to mentor and teach NROTC.

-ea6bflyr ;)

I've had a full time job while taking 14 units and be on the swim team the passed two years with Reserve duty included and I've kept a 3.1 as an engineering major. I planned on resigning in August and not swimming for the first year to acclimate to the environment. Would that suffice sir? I feel confident about my ability to perform but I'm not entirely sure how everything will be so I want to stay flexible.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've had a full time job while taking 14 units and be on the swim team the passed two years with Reserve duty included and I've kept a 3.1 as an engineering major. I planned on resigning in August and not swimming for the first year to acclimate to the environment. Would that suffice sir? I feel confident about my ability to perform but I'm not entirely sure how everything will be so I want to stay flexible.
This would be a great conversation with the NROTC advisor. Make sure you tell him/her everything you've said here. Sounds like you have a pretty level head and you've proven you can do the work.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Piece of cake. I did it - CP student flying as a reservist after my AD requirement was finished. Flew two drill weekends a month and usually one night flight a week during the week. Best part is that once I went advanced standing, they changed the rules that ended up allowing my lone year in advanced standing to count as a year of drilling (for pay purposes) because I had been under a reserve contract when I got released for advanced standing. They made the rule, not me... Ended up commissioning with 5 yrs of active time for retirement but "over 8" for pay.

It can most certainly be done.