• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC class for elective?

markkyle66

Hi all, I have a quick question about the NROTC classes. I am looking for an elective to take and was curious if non NROTC guys can take the NSC classes? (Specifically NSC4230) Having recently been Pro-Rec'd for OCS, I figured it would be a good opportunity to meet like-minded people and have a somewhat interesting class.

Thanks,

Mark

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
At Texas we had a few non-ROTC peeps cycle through some of the classes. If your individual degree plan accepts it for credit and you are interested then sign up. I think a few of the classes would be ROTC only but you wouldn't want to take those anyways. A couple phone calls to your advisor and someone in the ROTC department will get you the answers.

navy09

None
What is the class title? If it's 'Intro to Naval Sci,' 'Weapons,' 'Leadership and Ethics (or Mgmt)' you'll probably get something out of it. There are a few classes that you probably won't get much out of though. We always had a few civs in our classes- mostly looking for the easy A :D

markkyle66

Thank you for the advice! The course title was Leadership & Managment. I figured it would be the most relevant elective I could take since I am a Business major and OCS will be in my near future!

Bevo16

pilot
That's the best one to take. Ours was given by the unit CO, who was a fantastic officer. It was a challenging class though. Expect plenty of reading, and to put together a presentation. You are not going to sit around and watch JAG re-runs.

Hawk12

None
We had a prior enlisted now civilian that simply enrolled in one of my classes last semester. At Kansas the classes are open enrollment for anyone, you pay the same per credit hour, and the CO is considered a professor for the university.

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
I took Sea Power and Maritime Affairs my freshman year. At the time, I was considering doing NROTC, so I took it for that reason, but it ended up counting as a 3-credit history class toward my history major. I could have had it counted as an elective though.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Take leadership and management. We had a few guys who took it as an elective with all the ROTC bubs before they went off to OCS. It's usually given by the CO, or in his absence, the XO. Good class, lots of discussion and reading.

m26

Contributor
I am thinking about taking an NROTC class this fall, mostly because the best "regular" course I can dig up for an elective is Ancient Greek History :sleep_125

My choices are Intro to Naval Science and Leadership & Management. I was thinking the Intro course might be better, since my classmates would be equally clueless and I might learn some things that I then wouldn't need to worry as much about at OCS. But what do I know?

L&M seems popular in this thread, but I'm hoping I can get some more opinions from the good folks on AW.

Mille grazie

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I am thinking about taking an NROTC class this fall, mostly because the best "regular" course I can dig up for an elective is Ancient Greek History :sleep_125

My choices are Intro to Naval Science and Leadership & Management. I was thinking the Intro course might be better, since my classmates would be equally clueless and I might learn some things that I then wouldn't need to worry as much about at OCS. But what do I know?

L&M seems popular in this thread, but I'm hoping I can get some more opinions from the good folks on AW.

Mille grazie

It's been 7 years, but IIRC intro to NS was about as insightful as reading some wikipedia pages about various warfare communities and major platforms. I'd highly recommend taking L&M or the senior Ethics course if you are able to. Those were the only NS classes I have ever given a thought to since commissioning day.....

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
i agree...i would not waste your time with intro to nav sci...i would take l&m if you could because there are lots of practical lessons to take away...havnt taken ethics yet, but that would probably also be a winner

m26

Contributor
Ethics isn't on offer this semester, and L&M is three credits, which ought to make my life easier ADCP-wise. Easier decision than I'd figured. Thanks MIDNJAC, wildcat.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I'd say take the intro to NS. My L&M class was horribly instructed by my NROTCU XO, and was boring. the intro class was at least interesting and had a few sea stories... You wont have the benefit of going on summer cruise prior to OCS and you're already going to be an NFO, you might as well learn a bit more about the rest of the Navy while you can. I know several OCSers who are absolutely clueless about the rest of the Navy and they are well into their fleet squadrons.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I know several OCSers who are absolutely clueless about the rest of the Navy and they are well into their fleet squadrons.

Hell, one of my roomattes from flight school (OCS type) didn't even know what a T-45 was when we checked into Meridian. Luckily they have the static display jet in front of the hangar, or he would have been really in the dark :)