• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC+Aviation schools.

beau

Went to OU specifically for the Aviation Program and NROTC...all the way from Montana (though I have relatives in Norman so that made the decision easier). There were no NROTC units in Montana...and I wanted an Aviation program (with a degree) to make sure I stayed motivated during college.....sure enough....OU offered both the degree and NROTC...choice seemed easy to me.....did a year of college program and picked up a three year scholarship....that same year...NROTC picked up all my Aviation bills as well...so not only did I get my Aviation Degree...the Navy picked up the bill for everything! It was a great deal at the time....and I believe that it still is (Aviation classes that involve flying usually cost about 3 grand a semester above your general tuition). The degree, when I went through, covered your Private, Instrument, Commercial, Multi, Turbine ratings....have a look into it.

http://www.aviation.ou.edu/
http://nrotc.ou.edu/

beau

nothing too special....we got 5 hours in a Turbo Commander plus some ground school....now OU has a King Air....so maybe that is the new bird they use for it....its been a couple of years since I've been back!

okay..looks as though they got rid of the turbo commander for the King Air...

http://www.aviation.ou.edu/Program_Info.html

Tom

pilot
Contributor
UND doesn't have a turbine program. That would be nice except that no one is paying for flying but me.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Piper,

Honestly if you really want to go with an "aviation major" follow what these guys said. If you want to major in anything else, go ROTC at Penn State or to any other big school. You can get time in the air through a variety of means without making it your major...

FLY NAVY, GO STATE!

ACurry

Thank God for Kidney Stone Medical Waivers
Jacksonville University has a flight program that is associated with Delta Connections.

Amy C

NAS Jacksonville
Oh yeah, it costs more $$$ to do the aviation program at JU than it does for all the other degrees there. Not only that, but I am almost positive NROTC does not pick up the difference of the added cost. Maybe someone in the know at JU/ERAU can chime in on that. In now way is that suppose to discourage you. Some people went to JU not knowing that, and ended up quitting the aviation program(switched majors) to avoid extra expenses.

My husband attends school at UNF which is close to JU (in fact his ROTC unit is attached at JU) & JU is a private college, but they offer a JUMP IN program (I believe that is the acronymn). Basically, they pay the difference of what the Navy gives you for school in order to get you to enroll. Call the ROTC office there & talk to them about it.

ACurry

Thank God for Kidney Stone Medical Waivers
I went to JU and started out as a Aviaition Flights ops major and had to switch since at the time scholorship wouldn't pay any of the flight costs. However, now scholorship does pay the basic cost of flight training but will not pay the extra amount...and you will go over the basic costs.