• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC as a Shore Tour

Sabre170

None
I am interested in being an ROTC instructor for my Shore tour.

Any prior ROTC instructors out there? What were the benefits of the job as well as the ass pain of the job? I have heard that some schools will auto enroll you in their MBA program (or program of your choice)... any truth to that? What is the daily grind like? Is it feasible to go to school at the same time or do the obligations of the job keep you busy all day?

I am not specific in any location, but would like a well established school (business). I also do not plan on getting out after the ROTC tour. I am not on the "P-3 golden path" so the bad for 'aviation career advice' is not needed.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I wasn't an ROTC instructor, but I have plenty of buddies who did it.
The Good is: Usually a free Masters Degree from the school. Good hours. Low stress.

The (possible) Bad is: Most folks who do the ROTC instructor route get out following that tour, therefore you are sending a potential signal to your front office (and Big Navy) that you do not have career ambitions. If you do push for these orders be prepared to deal with the repercussions; good FITREPS may go to guys who are going to NSAWC, RAG, or Weapons School.
NOTE: I'm not trying imply anything about the quality of folks who go to ROTC units, I'm just telling you what I've seen in my experience.
Another possible 'bad' is that you may end up as a 1 of 1 while you are there, depending on the size of the unit. While you may have a great write up and may have a good average as compared to the Reporting Seniors trait average, a 1 of 1 is still a 1 of 1. It's better than a NOB (and better than a P) but you may not have the opportunity to 'break out from your peers".

If you do go to a ROTC unit, you may be seen as stepping off the path the Navy has decided makes future CO's. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who did an ROTC tour and got command, but most CO's I've run across did the RAG, TPS, Flag Loop or other community fill jobs rather than going off to a ROTC unit.

If you go into it with an understanding, then you may really enjoy it as some of my buddies have done. A free Master's and being able to put on your resume that you were a college professor can only help you in the civilian world.

Good luck either way.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BTDT. The ROTC gig is a good one as you have a DIRECT impact on future Naval Officers. As I'm sure your COC (and HeloLumpy) has told you, it's a death sentence if you ever want to get back into the cockpit of a grey jet or have asperations of being a CO. I did a hard dis-associated job after my ROTC tour including an IA in Iraq and I was able to get a Special Mission DH job at VT-86. Without being selected and doing DH job, you will not make O-5 period. With that said, I currently have low expectations of of making O-5 even after getting 2 excellent FITREPS as a Special Mission DH and due to the numbers, but we'll see this May when the list is published.

Goods:
- Routine schedule
- Masters for Free or at a reduced cost. Universities vary; my University provided 75% off of in-state tuition. Some don't. You are EXPECTED to enroll and pursue your Masters.
- Summers are awesome. No STUDs or teaching class. If you didn't "break out" at your JO command, you should seriously consider going to a place with a large peer group in order to get a break out FITREP. Have you considered VT-10 or Schools Command?

Bads:
- IA bogey bait.
- Longer hours then you'd expect. During the school year I was doing about 12 hours a day because I cared about the job and was working on my Masters.
- Lots of behind the scenes STAFF work incuding Staff Training, PRBs, MIDN couseling 2X year, MIDN Fitreps, MIDN Scholarships nominations, MIDN PT, etc, etc...

Other:
- CORTRAMID in San Diego or Norfolk. Expect to go at least one summer.
- Expect to have 2-4 collateral duties including Team/Group Advisor. I was the Aviation Coordinator (ASTB), Aviation Club Advisor, Sailing Club Advisor, and Webmaster.

YMMV, but go into the job with your eyes wide open and informed. Call and talk to some other aviation ROTC instructors.

-ea6bflyr ;)