• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC and Masters programs

jlil41

Does the Navy offer a NROTC program for those that seek to gain a masters and earn a commission as an officer in the Navy? I figured it would be like the 2 year plant they offer for ROTC. Thanks ahead of time for the info.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
one of my buddies in my class finished his undergrad work early, so he started on his masters...however, the navy wants him to commission now because he's done his undergrad work and they arent happy about paying for his extra year

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Does the Navy offer a NROTC program for those that seek to gain a masters and earn a commission as an officer in the Navy? I figured it would be like the 2 year plant they offer for ROTC. Thanks ahead of time for the info.

In short, no. The idea of NROTC is to get your degree while going through officer training. There's no benefit to the Navy to have a program that pays for your masters then commissions you upon completion since you need a bachelors to pursue a masters, and the bachelors degree makes you eligible for a commission.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The only exception I've seen to this is some combined 5-yr bachelor's/master's programs. The guy goes off scholarship for a year, then finishes both degrees simultaneously. That's a weird one, though--the exception that proves the rule.

The Navy/MC don't require master's degrees, only bachelor's, so there's no reason for them to pay for higher degrees, except for special cases, like doctors, dentists, etc. Again, the exceptions that prove the rule.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
Here are a few other programs:

Officer Scholarship Program - up to 2 years to get your masters after completing NROTC / undergrad degree; commissioned as an ENS and paid full pay / benefits; must prove that half of your tuition and expenses is covered by scholarship(s).
IGEP - yearlong program, typically at an advanced service academy; most of the folks I knew went to AFIT between commissioning and flight school; commissioned as an ENS and paid full pay / benefits.
Graduate Leave of Absence - up to 18 months to get your masters; go on special leave of absence from NROTC following completion of your undergrad; still stay a MIDN 1/C so no pay or benefits.

Availability and eligibility are highly volatile and based on open slots at advanced service academies, how jammed up pipelines are, etc.

I did the first program, and it was an absolutely great deal. Feel free to PM for more info.

Flying Toaster

None
A bit of a thread hijack here, but what are the options for people who are already commisioned to get their masters? More specifically pilots. Would this be done during your shore tour?

P3 F0

None
1) I've heard of guys that have gotten commissioned, then at some point had some idle time wherein the Navy let them get a Master's (this is a bit dim in my memory, as it was a good ten or so years ago, so the details are sketchy)
2) NPS at some point
3) NROTC shore tour, get Master's while instructing
4) Naval War College/Army Staff College/AF Staff College
5) Get Master's on own time, during shore tour using TA
6) Probably some other program(s) out there that I don't know about.

This is typical Line Officer stuff, not Med/Law, etc.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
There's the Graduate Education Voucher (GEV) for line officers to get a masters on their own time, but the Navy picks up the tuition. Not sure about the details, but there's a message announcing the program at least once a year.

P3 F0

None
ROTC is for undergrad. Once you have a Bachelor's, you're eligible for OCS and ineligible for ROTC. I'm honestly curious as to how you could have that perception. Not bashing you, just wondering what info out there led you to that conclusion.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
1) I've heard of guys that have gotten commissioned, then at some point had some idle time wherein the Navy let them get a Master's (this is a bit dim in my memory, as it was a good ten or so years ago, so the details are sketchy)
2) NPS at some point
3) NROTC shore tour, get Master's while instructing
4) Naval War College/Army Staff College/AF Staff College
5) Get Master's on own time, during shore tour using TA
6) Probably some other program(s) out there that I don't know about.

This is typical Line Officer stuff, not Med/Law, etc.

There are a couple of other programs out there, like the MIT/Woods Hole slots, Olmsted, and of course, if you get accepted for a Rhodes or Marshall scholarship the Navy will find a a way to let you go do it.

Some schools/designators have programs for grad ed. EDO's and CEC both come to mind as communities that get a lot of O's opportunities for grad ed. TPS has the "get an MS at AFIT before you come" program.

They're out there. And NKO has info for most of the programs.

m26

Contributor
ROTC is for undergrad. Once you have a Bachelor's, you're eligible for OCS and ineligible for ROTC. I'm honestly curious as to how you could have that perception. Not bashing you, just wondering what info out there led you to that conclusion.

The Army does it, at least at my school.

I didn't find the question or the answer particularly surprising.

jlil41

I was reading where you could join ROTC with the 2 year program, and some info said master's program if they are 2 or more years in length. I was talking to a NROTC from Georgia Teach and he even said that some schools offer that just not their school. That is why I asked the question, and being that the Army offers the ROTC master's program it as well.