• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NPC/Millington Suffers Major (Catastrophic) Flood Damage

Bevo16

pilot
It's not that the base is low, a levy broke and the drainage system for several hundred square acres worked in reverse. We also got a foot of rain (or more) in about 24 hours.

exhelodrvr

pilot
I assume that they have a good disaster recovery plan for going to an alternate site and loading a backup of the data?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Well Bevo, as long as you're good there is definitely a bright side, you'll get a few days off of work at least :)

Bevo16

pilot
Tomorrow is "mission essential personnel only", and I have been informed that includes me.

It's going to be pretty hard to run a world-wide program without telephone, internet, e-mail, or military personnel that we can transplant to an alternate work site (civilians start getting jittery if they have to go more than 2 miles from their desk for lunch).

We have a COOP plan in place, which basically consists of having other organizations pick up immediate tasks and operate without direct oversight. Once we have a successful muster, check on the COOP plan, and get an ETA on electricity and connectivity, there is not going to be much to do. I would start pulling wet carpet out, but that probably violates some government contractor's union bylaws.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yikes!

web_100502-N-0000W-001.jpg

100502-N-0000W-001 MILLINGTON, Tenn. (May 2, 2010) An aerial photograph showing flooding at Naval Support Activity Mid-South in Millington, Tenn. Two days of rain dumped more than 14 inches in the area, causing a levee to fail and flooding the base and surrounding community. The base is closed to all but mission-essential employees until further notice. Naval Support Activity Mid-South hosts several commands, including Navy Personnel Command and Commander, Navy Recruiting Command. (U.S. Navy photo by Mark Wilson/Released)

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
The Detailers are in Whitten Bldg which is left of the 'Sail' in the 'spectacular' picture.

Bevo- Should have seen the Mcdonalds in Arlington; it was an island! Hwy 70 was under water from just East of the Autozone to nearly 385 on/off ramp.

Steve Shedd

PERS-41 Detailer
None
Navy Personnel Command will remain closed on Tuesday, 4 May. Read the article below for more details on the impacts of the flooding to personnel systems and boards.

Flooding Impacts Navy Personnel Systems, E-8 Board
display.asp
Story Number: NNS100503-11
display.asp
Release Date: 5/3/2010 7:44:00 PM
From Chief of Naval Personnel Public Affairs

WASHINGTON (NNS) -- The flooding at Naval Support Activity Mid-South in Millington, Tenn., caused by heavy rains in the region are impacting personnel systems and processes.

As of May 3, all Navy Personnel Command (NPC) offices are closed and only mission essential personnel are allowed on base. Decisions regarding the rest of the week will be made as the situation is assessed.

According to NAVADMIN 159/10, major systems currently down affecting all Navy personnel are Bupers Online (BOL), Physical Readiness Information Management System (PRIMS), and the Web Enabled Record Review (WERR). The NPC website, www.npc.navy.mil, is also offline.

Access to NMCI in Millington is unavailable and orders cannot be issued due to the loss of the Navy Messaging System.

The telephone system in Millington has been restored however phone messages are not being monitored since personnel do not have access to their office spaces.

"With the events in Millington, many services that Sailors and their families have come to rely on have been temporarily affected," said Rear Adm. Don Quinn, commander, Navy Personnel Command, deputy chief of naval personnel. "Assessments are being made to evaluate the damage and estimate when the services will be restored. This may take some time so your patience is greatly appreciated."

The E-8 selection board has been placed on hold until selection board services and access to Electronic Military Personnel Records System (EMPRS) is restored.

Sailors can continue to conduct reenlistment and detailing activities as normal using Career Management System Interactive Detailing (CMS/ID) although detailers have no access to this system. Perform to Serve (PTS), Fleet Rating Identification Engine (FleetRIDE), Enlisted Assignment Information System (EAIS) and Officer Assignment Information System (OAIS) are unaffected by the flooding.

According to a NSA Mid-South public affairs release, all base personnel and residents have been evacuated and there are no known casualties following a door-to-door inspection by NSA Security personnel.

The flooding was brought on by torrential rains and thunderstorms that swept through the area and caused creeks that run adjacent to the base to swell beyond protective levees. In addition to the base, the surrounding Millington community, as well as parts of Tipton County to the north of the base, encountered similar flooding according to the news release.

Bevo16

pilot
The Detailers are in Whitten Bldg which is left of the 'Sail' in the 'spectacular' picture.

I think you are off by a few degrees. Whitten is on the right side of the picture, the NEX is across the street with the black roof.

I had to look at it a few times to get it figured out. I am not used to the base looking like Atlantis.

Bevo- Should have seen the Mcdonalds in Arlington; it was an island! Hwy 70 was under water from just East of the Autozone to nearly 385 on/off ramp.

I saw it from the 385 overpass Saturday about 7:00 on my way in Saturday afternoon. I live in Eads, down where 385 crosses HWY 64, so I pass it every day. I could not believe how high the river still was today. Did you head up that way today?

I tried to make use of my membership at Memphis Shooting Sports in Lakeland, but the range was a lake itself. It's going to take them a while to get it back in service.

It sounded promising that we would be back in business by mid-week, but it sounds like things are still going to be closed tomorrow.