• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NPC Lat xfer Website

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello, I just recently got selected by INTEL, and should be going to ocs sometime in jan/feb. However I was also selected for aviation(SNA), but as Intel was my first choice that is what I got, my medical was submitted, and I am curreltly awaiting my orders. Despite this, I was wondering what I could do if I wanted to transfer to aviation. Could I ask for it during OCS, after OCS, after intel school, or after my first INTEL tour? What are my options? Also is a intel/aviation transfer likely?

Did you read the sticky above the thread you just created and specifically the link to the actual instruction that directly addresses your question(s)?

Mouse36

SWO is undermanned through DH, might want to alter expectations a bit as I don't believe SWOs are in any position to lose anyone from your YG.

I'm trying for a lat/xfr to AMDO from SWO and I heard the same thing. That SWOs are undermanned through Dept Head. But what's interesting is, my SWO detailer wants to extend me a year on shore duty cause SWO Dept Head school is backed up by a year. Plus they weren't able to sucker me into the SWO bonus which would lock me in for 2 Dept Head tours. Back in 05, they were actually trying to get rid of YG03 SWOs because they were overmanned. Of course retention is low, everyone knows that "SWOs eat their young" and they are never full. If I didn't have over 18 years in, I would have bailed after the initial committment. And it's not just the lack of sleep, it's the doing more with less that has plagued the Navy. I had my heart aches about the aviation side of the house when I was enlisted, but it was definitely a stronger community that took care of it's own. Supervisor's and leaders took great pride in mentoring their sailors. The SWO way of mentoring is "It's on the share drive."

jmiller82

News from November 2008 board?

Has anyone heard back on the results of the latest Officer Transfer/Redesignation Board (November 2008)? I am patiently waiting.. I had contacted someone at Millington and being that it included ALL of the designators, it was still in progress (two weeks later)..

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
Has anyone heard back on the results of the latest Officer Transfer/Redesignation Board (November 2008)? I am patiently waiting.. I had contacted someone at Millington and being that it included ALL of the designators, it was still in progress (two weeks later)..

FWIW, looking at the last few trans/redesig boards, it seems take about 3-4 weeks after completion of the board before the NAVADMIN is released.

I know the feeling though...waiting on the Jun 08 board was painful, as well.

Patience is a virtue blah, blah, blah...good luck.

Mouse36

From the trend of the last few cycles, the results should be posted by NAVADMIN next week. It was exactly one month from the day the board convened last June that the results were posted. So going crazy on this end also. Just hoping that I can put this SWO portion of my career behind me.

unclebuckme

June 2009 board

Wanted to give this thread a bump since the June 2009 Lat Transfer Board just adjourned. I'm a YG03 SWO trying to transfer to EDO, and the quota letter for this board looks pretty promising. YG03 is releasing up to 8 SWOs, which is way up from the November 08 board. Anyone else waiting?

Another thought, I know 2 SWOs who did not screen for department head but who were accepted for lateral transfer. Do you think SWOs who did screen are at a disadvantage here?

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Wanted to give this thread a bump since the June 2009 Lat Transfer Board just adjourned. I'm a YG03 SWO trying to transfer to EDO, and the quota letter for this board looks pretty promising. YG03 is releasing up to 8 SWOs, which is way up from the November 08 board. Anyone else waiting?

Another thought, I know 2 SWOs who did not screen for department head but who were accepted for lateral transfer. Do you think SWOs who did screen are at a disadvantage here?

I am also waiting. This is my 3rd application. Unfortuantly SWOS have not been willing to let me go.

In answer to your quesiton, I think it really depends on the reason they were not screened for department head. If it was something like a blip in their FITREP, then yes. However, if it was something they did that made them amoung the 6 percent or so of SWOS that don't get screened for DH, then I would say yes. It does not hold up the "sustained superior performance" that is required. You have to try to not be screened for DH as a SWO.

magillicutty

Can anyone tell me if applying for a lateral transfer can piss of your detailer? I want to apply for SNA but was wondering if there are any repercussions if I am unsuccessful.

SWO Bubba

None
Can anyone tell me if applying for a lateral transfer can piss of your detailer? I want to apply for SNA but was wondering if there are any repercussions if I am unsuccessful.

Noticed no one replied to you. The answer is: No. It is very routine. If the detailer gives you any guff, then you may have inadvertantly created a domino problem. It's all about you and you shouldn't let any guilt trips or negative comments from a detailer affect you decision.