• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

November Boat Players....

yodaears

pilot
What coast?? West?? East?? What deck, if that's not tellin' the Rooskies too much ...

GET A GOOD START! Discipline in the pattern ... then meatball, lineup, AOA ... fast, fast (but good) scan ... don't fixate on any one thing -- keep the scan moving and processing.

PAY ATTENTION ON THE DECK!!! DO NOT CHOKE if you make a mistake. That's over; it's d-o-n-e ... focus on what's comin' next.

Best to all of you. :)

rogerballsmall.jpg

East. 75. We have a cool patch.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only thing I understand is the last 3 letters. I call shenanigans until you translate those.
OK, everyone say it with me . . .

There Is No Life Below The Datums
Always Lead A Low
Never Lead A High
If High And Fast Fix the Fast Then the High
If Low And Slow Fix the Low Then the Slow
Never Center A High Ball In Close

I had an LSO write the abbreviations up on a board and puzzle the crap out of everyone once. I was bored, so I amused myself by doing it here and watching the response. :D

B

bacardi00185

OK, everyone say it with me . . .

There Is No Life Below The Datums
Never Lead A Low
Always Lead A High
If High And Fast Fix the Fast Then the High
If Low And Slow Fix the Low Then the Slow
Never Center A High Ball In Close

I had an LSO write the abbreviations up on a board and puzzle the crap out of everyone once. I was bored, so I amused myself by doing it here and watching the response. :D

Granted I have all of ten traps, but I thought it was:

NEVER Lead a Low
Always Lead a High

??

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Granted I have all of ten traps, but I thought it was:

NEVER Lead a Low
Always Lead a High

??
That's what I get for posting after evening Scotch, and expounding before morning coffee. FAIL.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
That's what I get for posting after evening Scotch, and expounding before morning coffee. FAIL.
That's generally preferable to pounding down the evening Scotch (all evening) and expounding after the morning puke.

To wit:

1. Being told 'YOU'RE NOT GOING TO THE BOAT TOMORROW' ...
2. Then laughin', screamin', scratchin' & hangin' from the chandelier @ MEX-PAC all night ...
3. Then getting back to the NKX 'Q @ 0400 and finding a note on your pillow that sez: 'PLAN HAS CHANGED -- YOU'RE GOING @ 0800/BRIEF 0700' ...
4. Then sitting in the shower for @ 1 hour ...
4. Then arriving for the brief, going to the aircraft w/RAG-STUD B/N ...
5. Then puking on ramp w/ plane captains standing by w/ amused looks on their collective faces ...
6. Then having your RAG-STUD B/N yelling in your face: 'ARE YOU O.K.?? ARE YOU O.K.?":eek:
7. Then launching, holding overhead USS TICO' for @ 1.5 hours ... and sweating right through your gloves ...
8. Then making your first pass -- big blur -- overshoot badly -- low -- lower -- "POWER ... POWER !!!" ... BIG BLUR !!
9. Then you get aboard -- 2 wire -- final comment for pass was: "LOOKED LIKE DOG JUMPING INTO THE BACK OF A PICKUP TRUCK" ... :D

Don't do as I do, guys ... just do as I say. :)

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
The immortal words of Skids Pennington:

Dude, if you dick the dog on your first pass, wipe your crank off and try again...

or something like that. Put the pic A-4's posted on your ceiling and stare at it till you fall asleep. You get two experiences just like getting laid for the first time... getting laid for the first time, and your first cat shot. Your guts will feel like they are on fire (maybe it was because I was in a scooter my first time...)

Your head will be so far up your rump after your first trap, you might just be able to pull it out prior to getting to the cat if you recover quickly (after getting pumped up with gas). Do not key the damned mike on the trap, and DEFINETELLY DON'T DO IT GOING DOWN THE CAT. Make every pass better than the last.. most improved wins a prize.

You will never be smarter, as good looking, or as talented as your LSO... so get over it now.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's some more for your upcoming Boat det:

1. Trust Paddles.
2. Always get to the best start as humanly possible.
3. Meatball, line-up, AOA all the way to touchdown.
4. High-to-low is not the way to go.
5. Power on at the ramp and full power in the wires – ALWAYS.
6. Trust yourself.
7. Never use an unknown route when going to the flight deck at night.
8. No e-mails/tasking after briefing (we call it the Brief BUBBLE). Stay focused.
9. Walk in pairs to the flight deck. Four eyes are better than two.
10. Don’t eat anything bigger than your head.
11. Never finesse a low ball
12. Never lead a low.
13. Never re-center a high ball in close.
14. Don’t argue with Paddles...EVER.
15. Take your bolter like an adult.
16. Wear shower shoes.
17. “John-Wayne-in-the-break/Barney-Fife-on-the-ball” is like getting a Supermodel to come home with you only to puke all over her chest.
18. Before you key the mike, know what you’re going to say. Don’t sound like a helo-guy.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Ghstrdrvt

Don't tase me bro.
pilot
I appreciate #17. I was sitting on deck getting gas at my cq in August. Some lead-safe decides to be a big dog and breaks before the boat. T-45's don't slow down for crap, so he flies a crappy pass and bolters. The LSO's were all over on the platform high-fiving and cheering.

Lesson Learned: The coolest break in the world is ruined if you don't come aboard.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
What was that old grade I once saw TMJWITBNEBAWITG

Too Much John Wayne In The Break Not Enough Basic Airwork In The Grove

An old CAG gave that one out when a Hornet driver did the stern break and really fucked it away. Granted not a 45 but same end result.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Lesson Learned: The coolest break in the world is ruined if you don't come aboard.
And --- as a STUD -- you're not 'cool', so don't even try ... you' can only hope to become a survivor and get some decent grades and then move on to your FLEET-SEAT.

NO SHIT-HOT BREAKS AS A STUD!!! The concept does NOT exitst !!! (WTF is 'exitst' ... I'm posting a little inebriated, I guess ... :D) Deal w/ it ... :)

BUT: as an experienced FLEET-guy ... you can 'be somebody':eek: and get away w/ it ... 'cause you know your own limitations. 'Cept mebbe in todays Navy ... :confused::)

To wit: my last lead/break in the FLEET ... I brought a 3-plane into the BREAK @ warp-overdrive ... we'd briefed it ... and practiced it (once on that flight -- using a little low cloud as a BOAT/reference point)
... the entire recovery was severely fucked up but we weren't and we succeeded beyond our wildest expectations ... :D

The C.O. grounded me ... and later relented ('cause he wanted his experienced Bubba's to stand BEAR alerts ) and posted an 'anonymous' apology on the RR blackboard.

Righteous ... :)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Break

BUT: as an experienced FLEET-guy ... you can 'be somebody':eek: and get away w/ it ... 'cause you know your own limitations. 'Cept mebbe in todays Navy ... :confused::)

I remember as a shiny new fleet Ensign (just prior to the RAG establishment) being briefed by the one-cruise "veteran" JG's:

"Better to die, than look BAD in the break"!

Sounded serious & scary to me at that time!:eek:
BzB