• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Not Pro-rec'd

XeroCool

So I figured I needed to start a topic for myself and anyone else that wasn’t prop-rec'd. I was hoping that some of you older or more experienced people could bestow information on how to better prepare packets to get pro-rec'd next time.
I have heard Navyblue suggest getting your recruiter to get you some interviews with some local naval officers, hopefully aviators, to strengthen your packet--Anyone other ideas?

Thanks,
XeroCool~RoB

sherpadawg

interview

I'm currently applying and my recruiter set up an interview with a Navy Commander, he said that it helps a lot when you have someone that high up and already part of the system give you a good recommendation. Definitly get an officer interview...

STLEngineer

pilot
Agreed.

I was turned down my first time. I had an interview with a Commander and got selected the next time.

Oddly enough, he gave me good marks in presentation and composure, but moderate ratings overall (trying to be tough?). That seemed like it help put me over the top. Perhaps it was just showing the board I really wanted it.

XeroCool

Ok, Just got off the phone with the Recruiter, He doesnt know anyone in the area that I could get a LOR from so Im gonna try to email some ppl. Anyone of you guys know any in the NC Area?
X

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
Just curious, can the interview be from any Naval Officer or does it have to be one that specifically deals with recruiting? I'm assuming he/she has to be active duty Navy. Sorry for the partial thread jack.

STLEngineer

pilot
My interview was a commander of a reserve unit here at the airport. He was a Naval Aviator by training. He was not a recruiter type, but he may have had experience in selecting candidates previously.

Hope that helps.

XeroCool

My recruiter said that another recruiter can't give a LOR because its a conflict of interst. He said that the only real requirement is that they are 0-4 or over.
X

jmiller82

Ok, Just got off the phone with the Recruiter, He doesnt know anyone in the area that I could get a LOR from so Im gonna try to email some ppl. Anyone of you guys know any in the NC Area?
X

I had a friend of the family, who is a retired O-8, give me an LOR. He is in NC, but the catch is that he's a retired Chaplain. Not sure if that'd help or not. My old man was a Navy Chaplain, and I wanted to spread it out amongst the communities with the LOR's (some from Aviation, one from Crypto, one from SpecWar, etc.). In the end, I guess it helped.. I got final selected for SNFO. One thing I might recommend is this: Make sure if you;re going for the top/upper echelon of the ranks (O-6+) you actually KNOW the person. It doesn't do any good to have a generic LOR from someone who is just filling in the blanks!!

STLEngineer

pilot
billthrill1 said:
That sounds about right. I always say that if I was the person reviewing applications, and I saw an applicant blatantly trying to abuse somebody else's success...I would toss that person aside and go onto the next applicant.

Keep in mind that what we're taking about here are interviews, not specifically references or letters of recommendation.

This is a scenario where an officer judges you, and it may not matter if they do not know you to begin with (although it couldn't hurt). They judge your bearing, your speach, your posture. They judge if you gesture too much or sit there like a board. They probe your motives and analyze your ability to construct meaningful dialogue.

However, I would suggest you try to work through your recruiter to try to find an interviewer, as you don't want to step on anyone's toes along the way.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
X

Going back to your original question, I'd stick with looking for an interview, not an LOR. It sounds like you don't know any higher ups in the military, and that's OK, I didn't either.

If you're at Chapel Hill, see if you can get in touch with the ROTC unit and be interviewed by someone on the staff. They're most likely line officers, and again, I think having one of them talk to you and filling out the interviewer's appraisal sheet would be better than digging for an LOR.

This isn't guaranteed of course, given if they have the time, or even know what an interviewer's appraisal sheet is...but it's worth a shot.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ya, try the local reserve center. Have your recruiter work with his reserve counterpart to identify someone. Tell them to try the VTU (Volunteer Training Unit) In the VTU there are usually senior officers just sitting around on drill weekends. The VTU is a holding tank or pool type of unit for guys waiting for a good pay billet to come up. They are usually happy to be doing something worthwhile. It doesn't have to be an aviator. And it is best if they use the interview appraisal form, NAVCRUIT 1100/13. It also is a good idea for your recruiter to brief the officer of what sort of marks are expected if the interview is to help you. Some guys might mean well but just don't know what the board is looking for.

jmiller82

Yeah, stick with what wink and thisguy say - go to the local reserve/recruiting centers and try the major schools (UNC, NC State, Duke, etc.) to see if there's a NROTC unit there. If so, there's bound to be a CO/XO (or another field grade officer) that could interview you. Sorry to mislead you on the former post, forgot we weren't talking about LOR's. I had an interview with a LT, who was a an Intel O and another with a CAPT, who was Crypto O, so the community doesn't neccessairly have to be in the same as your applying to, as wink said.
On the subject of LOR's, you might look into getting one from a civic leader, if you're somewhat familiar with him/her, and depending on your personal situation. I actually got one from the congressman for my district (my father is a good friend of his), but again, I'd make sure if you go congressional that they actualyl know you or make it clear that they know your merits/achievements, etc. You'd be surprised how many congressmembers would be willing to write a solid LOR for a loyal constituent going into the military, especially around election time :) ! Other than that, good luck.