• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Not lies, just deviations from the truth.

ctall90

So, I've been fed some horrible information from all kinds of different sources, including a navy.com online chat advisor. I'd hate to see others be misled by poor information, so here are a few fallacies you may have heard.

1. If I haven't applied for NROTC by the time I've graduated high school, I'm going to have to go CP.
-From the NROTC website :
"Students w/30 or more semester hours or 45 or more quarter hours of college credit upon application or students already enrolled in NROTC College Program are not eligible for four-year NROTC Scholarships; these students should see professors of naval science at host university's NROTC unit to discuss other scholarship opportunities." (https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/eligibility.aspx )
-Now, are your chances for the 4 year scholarship lowered if you're already a college student? I don't know, but you are still eligible if you've completed 29 or less semester units, so you should still apply.

2. I am a shoo-in.
- No, you're not. As fewer people are able to pay for college, more are looking into ROTC programs, thus making the scholarships VERY competitive. Don't count your chickens before they're hatched (or however you're supposed to say that).

3. I should go for an engineering degree to improve my chances of selection.
-Okay, it WILL improve your chances quite drastically. However, if you're not interested in engineering/math/science, then you'll probably desperately try to kill yourself multiple times before you barely graduate. Best case scenario: all of your gruesome suicide attempts fail, and you finally squeak out of your academic misery with a 2.5 gpa and "I HATE MATH" carved into your chest with a red-hot razor blade.

4. This is the one that the Navy chat advisor told me: Once your application is submitted, you can't update it.
- False. Be persistent. Once you complete a semester, send in your new transcript. They will update your app. This might not be a huge deal, but every little bit counts, and hopefully your new grades show that you are a consistent high-achiever.

5. My vision sucks, so I'm going to go to the place across the street from that crackhouse for PRK.
-NO! First off, you shouldn't go anywhere NEAR that crackhouse without your rape whistle. Second, PRK is a very specialized process, and the Navy is very picky about how it is conducted, and by whom. You're going to have to dig through piles of ever-changing rules, regulations, and waivers before you even think about making specific plans.

The moral of the story: trace the source your information. If the trail doesn't lead to an extremely reputable source, then there's a good chance it's not true.

Any other common myths/misconceptions/misinformation floating around out there that you guys can think of?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Back in the day (2004-ish) there were unlimited number of 2-, 3- and 4-year ROTC scholarships for people applying after having attended college for 1+ semesters.

Will_T

Will_T
nice post ctall, i like it. I second number two big time, and also add, that if you want it bad enough, keep trying, and be persistent.
Did you hear any news yet?

ctall90

Nope, I haven't heard anything yet. Starting to think I should be working to build up my BDCP app. :) how about you?

Immy

I hate to say it again, but the basic gist of College Program scholarships is that there's more people looking for them and far fewer to give out (At my school, the only scholarship even up for grabs is the PNS). Hell, one morning for drill all the college programmers got a special briefing from the CO basically outlining the scholarship situation and how different things have become over the last two years. Two weeks later during drill, all the college programmers got pulled to have a brief with the local Officer Recruiter about BDCP.

I won't be eligible to apply for BDCP for another year, but I'm gonna make sure my app is stacked.

sickboy

pilot
3. I should go for an engineering degree to improve my chances of selection.
-Okay, it WILL improve your chances quite drastically. However, if you're not interested in engineering/math/science, then you'll probably desperately try to kill yourself multiple times before you barely graduate. Best case scenario: all of your gruesome suicide attempts fail, and you finally squeak out of your academic misery with a 2.5 gpa and "I HATE MATH" carved into your chest with a red-hot razor blade.

This times 100.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
RE: #3

While I agree, the Navy goal is 85% tier one and 2 (per the NROTC website), and they will drop you if selected to one of those and you try to drop down to tier 3. You reduce your chances DRASTICALLY if you dont pick a tier 1 or 2

I'm not exactly a math whiz, but made it through engineering with hard work. Calc and Physics is required for all NROTC students anyway.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
So glad I went through when I did, I enjoy my poly sci major (although I did give engineering a shot).

ctall90

Well, every day that passes without any word from the Navy reduces my hope a little more. I figure it's time to at least start thinking about alternative programs such as BDCP. As a junior college student, I understand that I am at a disadvantage as far as BDCP selection goes. Does anybody know how much of a disadvantage? I would gladly do college program, but I can not afford to put myself through all four years at a University, and from what I understand, the scholarship situation is quite grim for CPers. If I'm not selected for NROTC, I'm NOT simply going to stop seeking a commission. Any advice regarding what I ought to do next, assuming the Navy's ominous silence continues?

Immy

If you're a college junior you can't do CP, unless you're referring to Advanced Standing, which from what I understand is not really given out anymore. Even if it was, I believe it is only given to CPers who have a year or two with the unit.

I would look at BDCP or OCS. By all accounts, it looks like the Navy isn't hurting at all for officers or pilots right now.

nugget81

pilot
I won't be eligible to apply for BDCP for another year, but I'm gonna make sure my app is stacked.

If I were you, I'd get started on the process now. BDCP is a long application process. You can always start the package and wait to submit until you are fully eligible. If a recruiter doesn't want to give you the paperwork or let you take the ASTB, then find another one who will. The great thing about BDCP is that you owe the Navy nothing until you sign on the dotted line.